Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which Cardiff accommodation is best?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cokeke2
hey,
i'm doing med. i know all the med stuff isn't exactly in campus so will probs be looking for accomm near the med stuff, but still near the town and the shops.
plus i want an en-suite, a large(ish) room and sociable (but not messy or rowdy)
i know these are a lot of demands (i realise that these will cost more- already broke don't know how i'm gonna afford it). i'm willing to compromise on a few. any ideas????

Do you realise that this year, most of the medical stuff is at the normal campus.. not at Heath Park campus? :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by burgergetsbored
Taly court - Nicest by quite a bit, rooms are massive, bathrooms are damn good (proper shower cubicle) kitchen is nice, and you have a carpeted living roomish part of the kitchen. People here are a bit more quiet and some a little more posh as it's the most expensive you could say. Decent parties when you want them, quiet when you're trying to sleep.

Taly South (Living here atm) - Rooms smaller than court, bathrooms fine except the showers are kinda wet rooms so there's no cubicle so having a shower will drench the whole bathroom floor(unless you stay perfectly still :P) Kitchens are fine, enough space. Epic parties when you want them, but seeing as there seems to be constant parties here it's sometimes hard to sleep when you want to. Also south has a silverfish infestation so they appear sometimes in your room (literally every room I know has seen at least 1) but if you're on the ground floor you have thousands of students walking past each day/night which would be annoying as yanno windows and all and noisy (luckily I'm on top floor :P)

Taly North- Known as the bronx, decent rooms, poor bathrooms, kitchen is a bit small, looks poor on the outside, but is closest to the sports complex and tesco, but furthest from town/uni. Also the cheapest out of the 3 but for what it's worth I'd recommend paying the little more for south. Wouldn't pick this one unless it was your third choice. But yeah from what I know flats are pretty social.

I wouldn't worry about having a boring flat. Every flat in my house has people I'd happily live with, and I spend quite a bit of time with the opposite flat so it doesn't take much to just walk to other flats if yours does happen to be a bit boring.

Hmm yeah, but does that mean the other halls can be a bit quiet an boring- I want parties too, just dont want to be kept up till early hours when I want to sleep... and its such a trek to main building- which is why I put Sengennydd as my 1st. :smile:
Original post by Onipede
Hmm yeah, but does that mean the other halls can be a bit quiet an boring- I want parties too, just dont want to be kept up till early hours when I want to sleep... and its such a trek to main building- which is why I put Sengennydd as my 1st. :smile:

uhh I think I just ended up unlucky due to my flat constantly noisy when I'm trying to sleep but I know the opposite flat (in south) is quiet. I've got a mate in court who has quite a few parties but I think it's safe to say south is the most partyin, whether you manage to get a quieter flat is just luck, Earplugs have probably been the best thing I'e bought at uni :P

Yeah well I'm in engineering building so I'm pretty much as far away as you can get. You just man up and endure it :P I'm glad I piked south and I've got a house 10 minutes walk next year so I can live with it :P Synghetto....you're a brave person :L
Reply 43
uhh I think I just ended up unlucky due to my flat constantly noisy when I'm trying to sleep but I know the opposite flat (in south) is quiet. I've got a mate in court who has quite a few parties but I think it's safe to say south is the most partyin, whether you manage to get a quieter flat is just luck, Earplugs have probably been the best thing I'e bought at uni :P

Yeah well I'm in engineering building so I'm pretty much as far away as you can get. You just man up and endure it :P I'm glad I piked south and I've got a house 10 minutes walk next year so I can live with it :P Synghetto....you're a brave person :L

Is it that bad, or is that just because you're a Taly person...?
Original post by Onipede
Is it that bad, or is that just because you're a Taly person...?

well it looks awful from the outside, rubbish decorating inside from what I've heard, a mates got broken into over Christmas because the doors are crap. I think it's safe to say it'd bad whether that's coming from a taly person or not :P The only plus I can think of it's near town :s-smilie:
I'd say Aberconway Hall. Partial bias as I'm living there right now.
I've been to friends' flats in other halls and none have rooms as big as mine. Some flats in Aberconway (the bigger ones) have en-suite bathrooms you share with one other person, but I'm in a flat of 3 so we have a toilet room and a bathroom (yep, we even have a bath!). We have sinks in our rooms too. I'd say our halls are closest to the main campus (Humanities, Law etc) besides Aberdare (which is girls-only), we're also 5 minutes from Lidl, 10 minutes from the SU and 15 from the city centre. Though it was post-grad accommodation last year so I don't know if it's switching back to that for 2012.
Taly North ensuite rooms are absolutely tiny as the bathroom you get cuts into your bedroom space. Cartwright Court has pretty nice bedrooms and kitchen but is a bit of a trek, probably about 15-20 walk to campus. I've also been in Senghenydd Court, not as rough as people make out but the kitchen's pretty small for flats holding 6 people. Finally the uni-owned student houses aren't too bad, they are very cheap but you do have to sort out your own internet, and you will definitely end up living as a group of at least 6 people.
Reply 46
Guys I just found this video and I think its very helpful :smile: A student from talybont north showing her room and the kitchen :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQHL_KH4kY&feature=related
Reply 47
Any experiences of University Hall?

Really like the lok of the big rooms and the closeness to the gardens/lake thing.. but its so far away from the main campus :/
Reply 48
Anyone else had the problem of clicking on the apply for university residencies button on the right of the residencies page, and just being taken to the login page. I've got a firm offer so should be able to apply now, do not know why this is happening and is slightly frustrating as with every passing day feel like im going to end up with worse accomodation.

forget that, is fine, just took 24hrs to work
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
well it looks awful from the outside, rubbish decorating inside from what I've heard, a mates got broken into over Christmas because the doors are crap. I think it's safe to say it'd bad whether that's coming from a taly person or not :P The only plus I can think of it's near town :s-smilie:

It doesnt look that bad from the outside, looks just like taly north or south. Also the decorating inside is great, with a huge open bedroom plan (only taly court is bigger but thats only because of it being allmost £20 more!)

They have said that this year they are revamping alot of them with new paint on the walls and desks and stuff including wifi so it's going to be even better!
Also its amazingly close to town, campus and the student union (no taxi fees for nights out!) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laX
It doesnt look that bad from the outside, looks just like taly north or south. Also the decorating inside is great, with a huge open bedroom plan (only taly court is bigger but thats only because of it being allmost £20 more!)

They have said that this year they are revamping alot of them with new paint on the walls and desks and stuff including wifi so it's going to be even better!
Also its amazingly close to town, campus and the student union (no taxi fees for nights out!) :smile:

It doesn't look anything like taly south!!! much worse! All the halls are getting wifi over the summer holidays. looks like you got a lucky flat then as a mates decorating is awful!! But I will give you it is close to town so is cheaper in transport costs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
It doesn't look anything like taly south!!! much worse! All the halls are getting wifi over the summer holidays. looks like you got a lucky flat then as a mates decorating is awful!! But I will give you it is close to town so is cheaper in transport costs.

so you havent actually lived in the flats then? I've lived in both taly south and senghenydd and the outside is similar, just taly south has some baige and blue coloured houses haha

The inside is just as good as taly south if not better anyway. One of my friends had damp growing on his walls in taly south and two of my flatmates wet rooms had mould growing in the showers, but thats just a factor of living in uni halls!
You might think one is better having lived there, but thats the thing, untill you live in a hall for 7-8 months, you wont know what its like, whatever you friends say!

I think there is alot worse accomodation then taly south and senghenydd but they - as all halls - have one or two downsides. Overall i prefered having the extra £20 to survive student life, then choose to have a mediocre en-suite which i would be loosing anyway when i moved into shared houses in year 2! :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by laX
Overall i prefered having the extra £20 to survive student life, then choose to have a mediocre en-suite which i would be loosing anyway when i moved into shared houses in year 2! :biggrin:

^ This!

£20 extra was amazing at uni. You dont realise how much more you can get with it.

Also Senghenydd Court is like taly south. Due to all the flats being so close, as well as the rooms, we had some crazy house parties with like whole tower blocks drinking together.

Its not like its not a social place, as it purely depends on the people that live there and while some might have a bad time, others can have a good time!

My current private house is just like when i was living in Senghenydd so i havent really lost anything such as the right to a en-suite.

Tis' all good in Senghenydd and in any other accomodation!. It is what you make of it, so burgergetsbored stop trying to say why a hall is bad and love the fact that you're in cardiff!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laX
so you havent actually lived in the flats then? I've lived in both taly south and senghenydd and the outside is similar, just taly south has some baige and blue coloured houses haha

The inside is just as good as taly south if not better anyway. One of my friends had damp growing on his walls in taly south and two of my flatmates wet rooms had mould growing in the showers, but thats just a factor of living in uni halls!
You might think one is better having lived there, but thats the thing, untill you live in a hall for 7-8 months, you wont know what its like, whatever you friends say!

I think there is alot worse accomodation then taly south and senghenydd but they - as all halls - have one or two downsides. Overall i prefered having the extra £20 to survive student life, then choose to have a mediocre en-suite which i would be loosing anyway when i moved into shared houses in year 2! :biggrin:

haha there must be some that are more renevated than others! I've only been to a mates there, I haven't lived there but my room in south is definitely better than his. Yeah not sure how I'm gonna get by without an en-suite next year. Aren't south and senghenydd exactly the same price (for the en-suite, you can't compare prices of one without one and one with) ?
Reply 54
Aren't south and senghenydd exactly the same price (for the en-suite, you can't compare prices of one without one and one with) ?

No you're right you can't really compare the prices, but you can have a preference over how much you want to pay. Surely would would prefer £20 more a week in some situations? :biggrin:

And they are only the same price if they are the same sized ensuite. Its like the taly north ensuites which are the same and smaller in comparison to taly south rooms
Reply 55
Original post by laX

Thanks for the info! i saw senghenydd at the open day and thought it was really good, didnt know they were upgrading tho!

Also the fact that its basically a stones throw from the campus, nights out in the su and the city and the shops makes it such a great place to be as well as it being so much cheaper! (so much more money for food and drink!) Defo going to be my number 1 choice and then probs colum road :biggrin:
Original post by laX
No you're right you can't really compare the prices, but you can have a preference over how much you want to pay. Surely would would prefer £20 more a week in some situations? :biggrin:

And they are only the same price if they are the same sized ensuite. Its like the taly north ensuites which are the same and smaller in comparison to taly south rooms

Yeah I would enjoy £20 more a week! But I'd still pick taly again if I had the choice, I'm afraid I just love my ensuite too much... :P Not sure how I'll cope next year :frown:
Reply 57
Hi I'm at uni doing physio but I'm moving to cardiff this sept and I was trying to apply for accommodation and it won't let me apply for taly south! is it because I'm applying so late or because I'm doing physio? also I would like social accommodation and I don't know whether to put uni halls or taly north first?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by 1overcosc
Do you realise that this year, most of the medical stuff is at the normal campus.. not at Heath Park campus? :smile:

Really:confused: My first choice is allensbank because I thought it would be closer to medical school:frown:
Reply 59
Original post by becc.a.j
Yeah, all talybont rooms have their own ensuite.

I'm going to be studying Law, is there specific accommodation where students studying law stay or are they mostly mixed? :smile:

Gonna do Law (grades permitting) too :biggrin:

I haven't lived in any, but from what I hear, Taly Court is the best, whereas Taly North isn't held in very high regard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending