Turn on thread page Beta

Weightwatchers diet...a life sentence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This weightloss program is based a points system, whereby different foods have different points. It's followers count points all day and can only have so many points a day. It seems to be a succesful weightloss plan
    BUT what happens after? Wouldn't these people keep counting even after they'd lost the weight? Always noticing how many points this or that is?....for life?

So, is it very effective and should it even be offered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    Wouldn't these people keep counting even after they'd lost the weight? Always noticing how many points this or that is?....for life?
    thing is, that's wot alot of them want...they wan ta way 2 keep the weight off for life

ReputationRep:
    This weightloss program is based a points system, whereby different foods have different points. It's followers count points all day and can only have so many points a day. It seems to be a succesful weightloss plan
    BUT what happens after? Wouldn't these people keep counting even after they'd lost the weight? Always noticing how many points this or that is?....for life?

A calorie controlled diet with excercise is paramount for effective weightloss but there are other ways of doing this without obsessing about points - eating a healthy balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg and laying of the sugary snacks is the simplest and least fussiest method and it prevents that life-long obsession with points and calories that you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    having said that it's a lot easier to count points than calories- a bit like pesetas compared to the euro. and it has seemed to work for a lot of people. safer than atkins, anyhow!

ReputationRep:

They will, if they are smart. A healthy diet is not merely intended to get you down a few pounds for the bikini season. The main objective should be ato keep a balanced and varied intake of nutrition so that you can keep your weight at a more or less healthy level. The best is to try to keep your weight generally constant, but allowing it to fluctuate a little ( It is normal for wommen to gain some weight when they have their period, men add some during the winter months etc) . The trick is to keep a healthy weight and diet without turning it into a compulsion. You typically want to controll your weight and keep it on a reasonable level, but you do not want your life to revolve around your calory intake either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    having said that it's a lot easier to count points than calories- a bit like pesetas compared to the euro. and it has seemed to work for a lot of people. safer than atkins, anyhow!
    yeah, i'm pretty anti-diet but WW is definitely the least offensive method as it still encourages balance and most fruit and veg are no points if i'm right? so its much better than atkins which oddly shuns fruit entirely. But still i think its better for food to be something you don't need to think about than something that's constantly on your mind, which i think the points thing often makes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    yeah, i'm pretty anti-diet but WW is definitely the least offensive method as it still encourages balance and most fruit and veg are no points if i'm right? so its much better than atkins which oddly shuns fruit entirely. But still i think its better for food to be something you don't need to think about than something that's constantly on your mind, which i think the points thing often makes it.
    One tactic is to get used to a healthy doet so that you follow it without having to think of it. The sad truth is that the amount of fat and sugar available today were not available as soon as 100 years ago. Therefore, evolution has not had the time to adjust our apetite acourding to the availability of nutrition and hence we must "help our boddies" in balancing our diet. Of course, some people go extreme and get obsessed about it, and that is no good either. I dont think there is any other good way than to keep a balanced diet with a suitable amount of exercise though. If you notoriously avoid certain foods (whether it is veg, meat , fish , fibres, carbohydrates, sugar, fat or whatever ) you are bound to get troubles. The trick is to find a healthy balance which can be kept without going anorectic...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.