Londoner's council tax rise paying for olympics Watch

Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I find it completely disgraceful that londoners are being forced to pay for the olympics from their council tax. If I never wanted london to host the olympics and I have no interest in them then why on earth are we being forced to foot the bill for them. We weren't given a vote on whether we wanted them yet people high up decided we should host them even though they may not be a londoner and thus not paying for them. Ok jobs will be created (and filled mostly by immigrant labour in construction) but if you don't live in east london then there is very little to welcome. Yet if you lived just outside of london in essex or kent (next to east london) you may get full advantage of the games yet haven't payed towards hosting them. I'm sure most londoners were not interested in hosting such a lousy show but you bet they'll be paying for it.

All the people who ran the bid and wanted the games here including Mr Blair and all the british athletes and coaches competing should be paying towards the full cost.
oink
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There should be a referendum for londoners to vote in

mark your "X" in one of the following-

1.yes I want the olympics and to pay for it
2.No I dont want the olympics

Is this fair????
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do we vote on every new item in the budget? Do we vote for increases in healthcare spending, education spending, or defense spending? Do we vote when the council desides to expand waste disposal? No. We elect people who's job is to stay informed, to look at the options and to decide, as we can't have a referendum for everything.

If you don't like the decisions your council is making in terms of tax increases (because that is decided by councillors, not central government), then vote for someone else who wont raise them. That's democracy. Is it bad that other people are forced to pay for your education?
ali567149
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So i suppose you want people in the shetlands to pay too....london and its inhabitants will benefie emensly from the games. It's just ashame that the united kindom of the inner M25 is not realising how good it has it!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1629)
78.92%
Leave (435)
21.08%

Watched Threads