Any International Baccalaureate recieved a Conditional Offer for Oxbridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sinkme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just to clear up the confusion, this is what IB scores are worth for 2007 entry, as announced by UCAS (The Daily Telegraph 06/07/06):
30 points = AAAa
34 points = AAAAa
38 points = AAAAA
40 points = AAAAAa
sinkme
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh yes and :
total: 41 points
specifics: 7 7 6 in HLs
course: classics (4 years)
at new hall, cambridge
UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
congratulations ..
silver-rose
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
nice, nice
crazed44
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i am applying to cambridge (sidney sussex) and lse for economics...
my predicted grades are :
Economics HL 7
Business and management HL 7
Math HL 6
English A1 SL 7
Hindi B 7
Env . Systems 7
i just wanted to know what r my chances of getting an offer?
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From what I understand it is far better to get a cond. offer of about 38 points than one requiring 41-42 points?
What happens if my predicted grades add up to 41 and I get an offer? Will I need to get 41 points then? (exc tok-EE)
How off can I be from my offer to still get in?
sinkme
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chrisjorg)
From what I understand it is far better to get a cond. offer of about 38 points than one requiring 41-42 points?
What happens if my predicted grades add up to 41 and I get an offer? Will I need to get 41 points then? (exc tok-EE)
How off can I be from my offer to still get in?
1. yes it's better to get lower offers :P :P
2. my offer matched my predicted grades exactly
3. you can be off by a point on the total without too much trouble i think, but you should try to make your HL requirements / other specific requirements
silver-rose
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Yea, even if you get predicted 44, they won't offer 44s, the max I think is 42! anything higher is rediculous, cause you might just have a bad day and a 45 can easily become a 42.
-x- Lici -x-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just to clear up the confusion, this is what IB scores are worth for 2007 entry, as announced by UCAS (The Daily Telegraph 06/07/06):
30 points = AAAa
34 points = AAAAa
38 points = AAAAA
40 points = AAAAAa

That is ridiculous. I went to an IB school and did A-levels with some IB certificates. I helped my friends through their courses and have a pretty good idea of the comparison as i worked with the college on applications...30 point students are no where near the level of students who get 3 A's at a-level...in fact i would say they are more like BBC students. 36 points is more like 3 As or 2 As and a B....but thats just my opinion. A 6 is equivalent to an A, and a 7 is like an A* if there was one at A-level.... Like it has been said...CAS is easy...history isnt that tough, World Literature is a joke, but maths is tough as are most of the own languages. TOK is done by reading random bits from chapters of 4 books and can be completed within 3 hours by a non-tok student (trust me) ...sciences are easier ..yes they have more subjects but many are far easier...they do get given too hard of offers sometimes, but the hardest thing is that they have all their exams in one week - so thats 2 or 3 exams a day for a week...thats tough and unfair. So yeah...Im a believer in the IB and its concept and how it works..but im fed up of having IB students saying that their lives are so much harder than A-levelers...i worked more than many of my friends...the exam system sucks but its not that tough - and they get low offers save when it comes to oxbridge where it can be unfair more often than not

We had the following offers from oxbridge - all without bonus points:

37 - WOW what an offer - law with german oxford (she got 43)
41 - Law at Oxford
40 - English at Cam
41 - Maths at Oxford
Offer for a 6 in a single certificate - Cambridge, SPS
39 - Oxford
Darkowl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just a quick summary of IB Oxbridge offers from my old year.

36, 776 Highers (7 in Chemistry and Biology) - Medicine, Oxford
38, 776 Highers (7 in History) - History, Cambridge
38, 776 Highers (7 in Physics and Maths) - Engineering, Cambridge
40, 777 (7 in French and Italian highers) - French (and Italian?), Cambridge

That was out of a group of 25, and about 20 of us were Oxbridge standard.

With regards to how hard the IB is, it is not harder than the A levels, and we certainly don't do more work. But in certain subjects it is far harder than others, history being a prime example of that.
The problem with the IB is that it has a very poor marking system. I personally lost 3 points purely due to negative moderation, and all of them were inconsistent with other pieces of work in the relevant subject.
To put it bluntly, it is much easier to be unlucky with the IB.
Polemos
Report 12 years ago
Total Points: 41
Specific Subject Points: 2 scores of 7 at the Higher level
Uni: Oxford
College: Keble
Course/Subject: Law

The subjects I took at IB were IBH Mathematics; IBH Physics; IBH Chemistry; IBH Philosophy; IBS A1 English; IBS B French.

However, after a year at Oxford, IB is nothing in comparison.
-x- Lici -x-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Darkowl...i agree...it is very easy to be unlucky with IB
rosaura88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What happens if you take four HL? these are my predicteds for HL i take:

English A1 HL (6)
Spanish A2 HL (7)
History HL (7)
Theatre Arts HL (6..possibly 7)

is it in any ways a dissadvantage if u have 4 highers? will they be tougher on me with regards to an offer? (by "they" i guess i mean the ppl at oxford!)

also, im a student from peru, and i wanted to know how things work out for international students usually..is it a disadvantage? are there any colleges looking for international students specifically (or that don't want many?)
i was thinking of doing Mansfield? i also like Hertford

thanks in advance to anyone who can respond, im truly freaking out right now!
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
whats this without bonus points crap i sold my soul for that EE and all these unis don't even care ffs ... gmg u asked this already and those IB poitns convertors don't come into affect until 2008 entries
rosaura88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what about the bonus points? yeah i read about the conversion for grades in the other posts..thanks
allowthat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What concerns me is these offers of '38 excluding bonus points' cos that means if you do get all the bonus points then you are looking at an offer of 41 or so which is bloody hard. Somebody from my school got an offer of 42 for Law at cambridge and ended up getting 43 in the end, somebody got an offer of 40 for theology at oxford but got 39 in the end but they still let them in, um i heard somebody got an offer of 37 for psychology at oxford. But yeah I dunno if my predicted 7,7,7 in HL maths physics and Chem and 7,6,5 in SL economics, english A1 and spanish ab initio is really good enough for medicine at cambridge (Gonville and Caius) I think tho its only the highers they look at to some extent. as long as you arnt a complete ****** at standard level it should be ok.
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if i were u i would try and do a deal with the school whereby they take a 7 down to a 6 at HL and put a 6 on that 5 in SL. i mean ox and cam want 777-776 so its not that bad, and the 5 would def look better as a 6
HWD
Report 11 years ago
He people could someone give me some information about HL courses, on what age do u take it, is it A levels equivalent?
otmame
Report 11 years ago
is 7777 or 7776 for HL bio,chem,history and english in that order as good as 777 for HL bio,chem and math??i mean for medicine?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?