Turn on thread page Beta

going far away to uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering how many people go a long way away for uni. i live in newcastle and really want to go to uni in reading whereas all have my friends have applied to nearby cities like leeds and york. i was just thinking is goin so far away a stupid thing to do because im not going to know anyone there and im starting to wish i was goin to the same uni as some of my friends. i dont know what to do anymore.

ReputationRep:
    You'll make plenty of new friends at uni. Go for it, you'll enjoy it more if you aren't in an insular group of your old friends.

ReputationRep:
    whatever you do, don't choose a uni because your friends are going there. university is partly about gaining independence anyway and you'll make loads of friends! you can always go and visit and transport networks aint that bad really!

ReputationRep:
    I looked at unis far away and decided against them, but not because of the distance. If you love a uni and really want to go there, then go for it. It doesn't matter about the distance as long as you're happy.

As someone said, there's plenty of transport, I'm sure a train journey isn't that bad.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and i am going to Glasgow! Bit of a distance!! I can't wait though! It's a whole new life your about to start!!!

ReputationRep:
    I personally am so so glad none of my friends went to my uni. I went by myself, and I met a whole new group of friends I probably wouldn't have met if my old friends from school had all been there clinging on. It's good to meet new people, you can always see your friends at holidays and stuff or visit them at their uni. I think it's a bit sad when I see groups of girls at college who have been friends since primary school all studying the same thing, living together etc and who are really insular. Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Although I chose a uni about 45 minutes drive away from where I'm originally from, I also chose somewhere that no-one I knew was going. As everyone else has said, its a good thing. I was forced to either make friends or be a total loner, whereas if I already knew a group of people from school I wouldn't have been so enthusiastic about meeting new people.

I don't regret it at all

ReputationRep:
    All my friends either chose uni's really close to home or massively far away. I'm about three hours from home, so I'm one of the far away ones. My best friend went to Cardiff which works out at about two-three hours as well.

To be honest, as long as you're able to keep in touch with people you won't feel that far away. I mean, I'm the other side of the country but still know everything that goes on at home and with my mates. The world is a much smaller place these days. Plus, as others have said, there's always trains home and stuff if you fancy a change of scenery.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Hampshire (south coast) and am at uni in Nottingham, which is so much further than anyone else in my year at school; many stayed at local unis. I don't ever go home though, because I can't be arsed with a 5 1/2 hour journey just to be at home for like 24 hours. My friends here at Nottingham mostly come from fairly close by so go home a lot.

Don't wish you were going to uni with your friends. Uni is a chance to make new friends, and you'll still have your old friends there during the holidays (probably). Do NOT follow your friends, just choose the uni you want to go to - and if that's Reading, then go there!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Reading and I would definitely recommend it. Dont worry about your friends not going far away. Im from Cork in Ireland, and none of my friends even left our city, so i was the only one to leave my city let alone my country!! You will make so many new friends here and its a fantastic uni. Everyone is friendly and there are loads of 'Northerners' here, so no worries.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the Isle of Wight and go to uni in South Wales. Even though its only about 4 hours away, I sometimes wish I was closer to home. If you think you may have a tendency to miss home/parents you might want to rethink the closeness of the uni. If its just new friends you are worrried about, you'll be fine You'll meet loads of new people :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I decided that I would prefer unis that were greater than two and a half hour's drive away, as i needed to force myself to gain maturity. Far enough for that, but not so close that the rents pop up every weekend...

All of my choices were less than four hours away, apart from Durham- but that was only because I really liked it, and the train isn't too bad...

As it is, i've ended up three hours drive away from home, which is reasonable but not too excessive. Unfortunately, whereas i headed East most people from school headed west to Wales, so I've been forced to gain a whole new friendship group, which has been very beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher recommended I go as far as possible..

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the same place as Irish Ash and go to uni 500kms away in Northern Ireland - if you look at the map I'm from the very bottom and at uni at the very top (as far away as you can get from home and still be on the same island lol).

It wouldn't be my only reason for choosing a uni but I certainly wouldn't let it be the reason I didn't pick one - if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    as others have said NEVER EVER go to a uni because you have friends there; i did that and ended up dropping out because i realised i really didnt want to be there. dont make the same mistake i did! just go wherever you want to go, most people dont know anyone either so you'll all be in the same boat!

ReputationRep:
    nah i go to one 2 hours away and find thats perfect for me, i can go home cheaply enough if i wish to, (been once in 2 terms sofar) but am far enough and no1 i know came to this uni. As for friends from home going to the same uni, you wont see them if you go to uni anyways cus everyone makes new friends and stuff so it makes no difference. I personally wouldnt want to be any further than this although i always thought yea go far away as poissible, but that changes when you get here you will be glad you chose one not too expensive to go home, cus sometimes you just feel like going home if something happens etc and it aint always possible if your so far away!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Germany and Nottingham uni will be really, really far away. I mean, any uni in the UK would be, but Nottingham sucks in terms of accessibility. If I was in London, I would be able to catch pretty cheap flights home, from Nottingham, I can only fly to Cologne, which is six hours from where I live in Germany. So it's either that, or Nottingham-London-Hamburg (which is still one and a ahlaf hours from where I live ) So yeah, I'll be FAR away. But I considered going to a US uni, so it doesn't feel as bad now lol

ReputationRep:
    I live 3 hours away from uni, diddn't know anybody here when i came.

Tbh, i'm REALLY glad i came somewhere without anybody i know. It allowed me to do whatever i liked, be whoever i wanted to be! No freinds expecting you to behave a certain way etc

As far as distance is concerned, i would not let it be the deciding factor. Choose somewhere you think you will be happy and do well at.

Besides, being a reasonable (180 miles) away means you can't go home whenever you feel slightly alone. Ya'know makes you tough out any rough spots and i feel a better person for it. I do sometimes wish i could get home quicker and cheaper, but its not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you go away to uni where some of your friends apply, the chances are you'll be soo busy making new friends and having fun you'll forget you aren't with your usual crowd.

I came to uni in Manchester, and no one from my school applied here *some people are here now after gap years*, and my best friend out of school came here too *neither us accepted offers because we were going to be in the same place*, and literally the first time we met up was after months so we had a chance to make new friends and meet new people!

Choose a uni that you like, has a course you like, and you really have a feel for. It doesn't matter how near or far away you go; theres always trains and planes

ReputationRep:
    don't forget us international students who have to fly 13-hour flights just to attend college/uni!!
    if u think your uni is so far away from home, think about us!
    lol

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.