The Student Room Group

BEST uk universities for mathematics?

and actuarial in particular.

Scroll to see replies

probably Cambridge
actuarial math is not math, apart from that i would say oxford or cambridge, maybe cambridge is better but i can't be sure.
Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial are the top four.
Imperial.
The saying I've been told is something like "If you want prestige, you go to Oxbridge. If you're AMAZING at Maths, you go to Warwick"

My top Four in order would be:
Warwick 1st
Cambridge 1st
Oxford 3rd
Imperial 4th
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
The saying I've been told is something like "If you want prestige, you go to Oxbridge. If you're AMAZING at Maths, you go to Warwick"

Wouldn't agree with this. Cambridge is arguably the best at Maths in the entire world. Warwick is very good, but not as good as Cambridge.

Warwick 1st
Cambridge 1st
Oxford 3rd
Imperial 4th

bah actually i don't see this big difference between unis...
if you are good at math you can do it wherever you want.
the only important thing about university is their prestige and the quality of professors and tutors you will have around, therefore warwick and imperial are not even to be considered.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Wouldn't agree with this. Cambridge is arguably the best at Maths in the entire world. Warwick is very good, but not as good as Cambridge.

I'm applying for Maths next year, and I'd chose Warwick over Cambridge. I guess it depends on preferred teaching methods etc.
Original post by moritzplatz
the only important thing about university is their prestige and the quality of professors and tutors you will have around, therefore warwick and imperial are not even to be considered.

Prestige means nothing to your standard of teaching, only your employability. Warwick arguably has just as good, if not better, lecturers than Cambridge or anywhere else.
Prestige means nothing to your standard of teaching, only your employability. Warwick arguably has just as good, if not better, lecturers than Cambridge or anywhere else.

if you are good enough to get into oxbridge you shouldn't need lectures..
i would say tutors are far more important, in lectures there will be at least 100 people, the lecturer will probably never know you, in tutorials there are 3-4 people, if your tutor is a good mathematician that can make the difference.

haha so Oxbridge are the only universities with good professors and tutors.

wow.
if you are good enough to get into oxbridge you shouldn't need lectures..
i would say tutors are far more important, in lectures there will be at least 100 people, the lecturer will probably never know you, in tutorials there are 3-4 people, if your tutor is a good mathematician that can make the difference.

I didn't mean just lecturers specifically. I meant facilities, resources, tutors. Everything. I'm certain that most applicants would chose Maths at Warwick than Maths at Oxford (Cambridge vs Warwick just comes down to preference I believe). I'm just saying, because it's a university with masses of prestige doesn't mean that another University cannot be better than it
I didn't mean just lecturers specifically. I meant facilities, resources, tutors. Everything. I'm certain that most applicants would chose Maths at Warwick than Maths at Oxford (Cambridge vs Warwick just comes down to preference I believe). I'm just saying, because it's a university with masses of prestige doesn't mean that another University cannot be better than it

for example i did not even apply to warwick

what makes you think that facilities (do we really need them as math students?) resources and tutors are better in warwick than oxford?

Warwick 1st
Cambridge 1st
Oxford 3rd
Imperial 4th

What exactly is there to Neg there? Sheesh.
haha so Oxbridge are the only universities with good professors and tutors.

wow.

the best mathematicians in the uk are there...
i'm not saying the others are not good, probably for the level of an undergraduate degree professors in all the main universities in the uk are sufficient.
but then again, ceteris paribus, oxbridge have so much more prestige that there is not even point in considering the others (given you get in, obviously)
for example i did not even apply to warwick

what makes you think that facilities (do we really need them as math students?) resources and tutors are better in warwick than oxford?

So because you didn't apply to Warwick, it's automatically a lesser university?
I'm not talking specifically about Warwick anymore, I'm just saying that prestige is all well and good but, it doesn't necessarily lead to better teaching and improved learning.
(edited 12 years ago)
What exactly is there to Neg there? Sheesh.

You're making unfounded claims thats why. Where's your proof that Warwick is equal to Cambridge for Maths? and above Oxford?
You're making unfounded claims thats why. Where's your proof that Warwick is equal to Cambridge for Maths? and above Oxford?

I merely stated personal opinion.
the best mathematicians in the uk are there...
i'm not saying the others are not good, probably for the level of an undergraduate degree professors in all the main universities in the uk are sufficient.
but then again, ceteris paribus, oxbridge have so much more prestige that there is not even point in considering the others (given you get in, obviously)

Cambridge and Oxford are two of the best universities in the world, so its no shame to be behind them in terms of prestige.

I think it'd be slightly naive to say that every Oxbridge Maths undergrad is superior to those at Warwick and Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest