27.59%
Religious Education (6)
20.69%
Randomer98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Well I have to decide my options by the 15th of March and i am thinking of taking Geography and Buisness Studies but i'm not sure whether to take ICT or Food tech for my last option! What do the courses involve? all i know is tht its 60% coursework and 40% written exam but apparently this is getting changed and we havent really been told in which ways!
All i want to know is
which you would take?
Which one is 'easiar'? -as in more staight forward as iknow both are difficult
what do the courses involve!

Thanks for the help!
oh and i have to take:
English lit
English Lang
French
Math
Chemistry
Biology
Physics

Annd i have to choose 3!
Randomer98
Rep:
?
nyone????
KnapAttackUK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go for ICT, its the one lesson I look forward to, and provided you put in a bit of effort, you can get anyway with not working too hard and still getting really good grades (provided you have a decent teacher)
Beanie101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Out of the subjects I did for GCSE, we had to do a Technology - so I did Food Tech and I did ICT (Full Course). I have to say, ICT is better suited with the other mix of subjects you are doing as food tech seems more random when looking at all your subjects! :P
LucyO_103
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only pick ICT if you REALLY love it, otherwise it can be relentlessly boring And food tech is more practical, you'll find it more useful outside of school
Dragonfly07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would def go for ICT. But GCSEs aren't very important. I know a guy who got C's and D's in everything, went to a ****ty college and now gets literally the highest marks in his third year at uni.
Randomer98
Rep:
?
hmm,, thanks everyone.. all my teachers are so annoying i gotta decide by next thursday and now they are all trying to convince us to take there subject!! what about views on r.s and geography?? is it true that r.s has endless essays?
KnapAttackUK
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you do the same RS as me, the exam is about 6 pages long, including some questions that are one sentence long. I find it interesting, but if you have no interest in religion I can imagine it being terrible. I'd recommend IT, and avoid history at all costs
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by KnapAttackUK)
If you do the same RS as me, the exam is about 6 pages long, including some questions that are one sentence long. I find it interesting, but if you have no interest in religion I can imagine it being terrible. I'd recommend IT, and avoid history at all costs
oh godddd!!! basically my teacher was going up too everyone saying we should do r.s because we would be a guaranteed a* (and i said surely everyone wont get an a*) and he got pretty embarrassed... he was only doing this because like only 15 people in the whole year wanted to do it.... i asked him whether there would be lots of essays and he replied "no its jst an exam in yr 10 and another in yr11" but i dont believe him at all as previously he was GUARANTEEING A*s!!! so yhh im confused!!! and all i know is that we do global warming and problems like that and we will look at christianity and islam-- (i am a muslim so i thought that could be a plus point) and i i was certain i wouldnt take history from my first lesson in yr7!!
i am quite good at geography but it is a challenge and i think mayb r.s is a little easier as it is more straight forward to get your head around things - especially when i know quite a bit about both christianity and islam. but ive never really paid attention as its one of those "lets jst do nothing lessons" and our teacher doesnt really care...

about the IT and food tech... we did foodtech in the first half term this yr and i did like it and i got decent grades 7c's-7b's (7a's being the highest) and then we had IT and well i got really distracted and was really far behind and had to copy my friend. but i think that mayb cuz of the ppl i sit next too. and then i had food again on monday and i was the only one to get a 7a and really enjoyed it and didn't find it that hard!

my question about foodtech is .. do you make really complicated things like souffles? (i heard this from a person in my class) that is the only thing that puts me off!

sorry for the long long message!!

oh and thanks ppl!
KnapAttackUK
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I'm getting an A* easily in RS despite being an atheist, so someone with a religion should have a good chance. Most of the questions are just common sense
(i.e. Why are Christians opposed to abortion?
1. 10 commandments.
2. Against the Catechism
3. Pope says so)
so its very easy to get a high mark.

And I find the GCSE IT easier than in Y9, and I've got 4A*s in 18 months with 3 lessons a week whilst listening to music and talking to my mates. So yeah, it's pretty good.
Randomer98
Rep:
?
Well I'm getting an A* easily in RS despite being an atheist, so someone with a religion should have a good chance. Most of the questions are just common sense
(i.e. Why are Christians opposed to abortion?
1. 10 commandments.
2. Against the Catechism
3. Pope says so)
so its very easy to get a high mark.

And I find the GCSE IT easier than in Y9, and I've got 4A*s in 18 months with 3 lessons a week whilst listening to music and talking to my mates. So yeah, it's pretty good.
in IT in yr 9 , we made a website to put our work on and uploaded a pic of ourselves and some info this was on dreamweaver - mine didnt work and we did things in excel really nothing to difficult i just get distracted easily ahaha and yeh i agree r.s is common sense really thats really good! wat sort of things did u do?
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Randomer98)
Well I have to decide my options by the 15th of March and i am thinking of taking Geography and Buisness Studies but i'm not sure whether to take ICT or Food tech for my last option! What do the courses involve? all i know is tht its 60% coursework and 40% written exam but apparently this is getting changed and we havent really been told in which ways!
All i want to know is
which you would take?
Which one is 'easiar'? -as in more staight forward as iknow both are difficult
what do the courses involve!

Thanks for the help!
oh and i have to take:
English lit
English Lang
French
Math
Chemistry
Biology
Physics

Annd i have to choose 3!
i actually do food tech and ict and i've got to say that ICT is a really boring subject. its based around spreadsheets and databases and all that, and if you've got patience, then go for it. But with food tech, the amount of controlled assessments you'll be doing is UNREAL, and its not easy. don't understimate food. Whichever you chose, chose it because you enjoy it rather than i want to do this in the future, unless you want to study a dt at a-levels, or ict or computing at a-levels
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
i actually do food tech and ict and i've got to say that ICT is a really boring subject. its based around spreadsheets and databases and all that, and if you've got patience, then go for it. But with food tech, the amount of controlled assessments you'll be doing is UNREAL, and its not easy. don't understimate food. Whichever you chose, chose it because you enjoy it rather than i want to do this in the future, unless you want to study a dt at a-levels, or ict or computing at a-levels
Thanks for the advice, i know that the written exam is 40% and coursework is 60%. is the course work both written theory and practical or just one of them?
plz could you clear this for me as thats my only worry for food tech, and the controlled asessments is that jst written exams??? .. sorry these questions might be silly but im confused and new to all this!! :s

Thanks!
breenm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No no no! If you do WJEC RS Specification B there's hardly any religion involved. It's mostly about ethics and medicine. eg. abortion and euthanasia
anonystudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just thought I'd share my experiences on RS...

I completed my RS GCSE (Edexcel) 2 years ago. I can honestly say it was the easiest GCSE I studied, even as an Atheist. You do have to put the work in though, it's not all a walk in the park. I can't specifically remember how much coursework I was given but I do know it was a fair bit, along with 2 exams.

I remember receiving A/A* in all my mocks, but only achieved a B in the real one . I guess I was too reluctant to revise. I should also add that I never chose GCSE RS for any specific reason, I just needed to make one final subject and RS was it, never expected to get anything out of it.

That's all I have to say for now.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Randomer98)
Thanks for the advice, i know that the written exam is 40% and coursework is 60%. is the course work both written theory and practical or just one of them?
plz could you clear this for me as thats my only worry for food tech, and the controlled asessments is that jst written exams??? .. sorry these questions might be silly but im confused and new to all this!! :s

Thanks!
well basically, its mostly written/theory but you'd have to do a practical for each controlled assessment, and it is worth quite a lot of marks, but you'd have to explain how you did what you did and why..any improvemtnts and problems , so year, there's a lot of writing.

if you didn't understand any of that (^) then basically, for every wriiten work (thats not for the exam), you'd have to do at least 1 practical

BTW, I got a B (confirmed by examiner) 4 mark of an A for like 30% of the grade and only one person got an A, so it's not an easy subject if that's what you think

, and it no problem..
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by breenm)
No no no! If you do WJEC RS Specification B there's hardly any religion involved. It's mostly about ethics and medicine. eg. abortion and euthanasia

(Original post by anonystudent)
Just thought I'd share my experiences on RS...

I completed my RS GCSE (Edexcel) 2 years ago. I can honestly say it was the easiest GCSE I studied, even as an Atheist. You do have to put the work in though, it's not all a walk in the park. I can't specifically remember how much coursework I was given but I do know it was a fair bit, along with 2 exams.

I remember receiving A/A* in all my mocks, but only achieved a B in the real one . I guess I was too reluctant to revise. I should also add that I never chose GCSE RS for any specific reason, I just needed to make one final subject and RS was it, never expected to get anything out of it.

That's all I have to say for now.

Thanks guys, all i know is that its OCR or sumat i dont know if that has any significance..... also the 4 units include practices and traditions of christianity and islam; icluding worship, sacred writings and religion in the faith community and family. and the other units studied are Ethics and Perspectives on world religions like war, peace human rights, abortion, prjuidice, equality and stuff..... And we wont have ANY COURSEWORK OR CONTROLLED ASSESMENTS!!! just an exam in yr 10 and another in yr 11 which will include 2 units each

for geography we are doing OCR Specification B and we do 2 coursework units=25% which are completed under contolled conditions, 25% on Decision Making exercise (which apperently is really hard) and 50% from a single examination

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
If anyone has done these, what are your opinions .. easy, hard, normal, too much to take in???

the reason why im going towards r.s more is because of there being no controlled assesments and i don't mind the subject either so why not ??
and i agree with anonystudent i just kinda need another subject really -- which also wont consume ALL my time!
catastrophe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I do food tech and it's literally one of my favourite lessons of the week! I'm really into baking though, so if you're a fan of cooking then I recommend you take it. However, the cost of buying ingredients and the effort of bringing them in every week sometimes gets a bit annoying.
As for the coursework - It's not hard to get high marks, you don't have to be particularly bright or anything, just make sure you keep on top of it from the start.

I see you're also interested in RE - I was forced to do that as I'm at a COE school. I find some topics horrifically dull, yet others are so interesting. It's also one of those subjects were lessons can be spent debating which is refreshing when you've spent a morning under the usual 'here's some information, now learn it' regime! The exams aren't too tricky, it's just the length that can be a problem for some. You need to be able to write quickly to keep up. Also learning quotes is a bit of a pain, unless you're really interested in the religion in which you're studying.

A lot of my friends do Geography and absolutely love it. Many even decided to go on with it for A Level. There's not a lesson when they don't manage to bring up something learnt in Geography. I wish I'd taken this.
Beanie101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did AQA Food Tech - one of the first things we were told is this is not a cooking class! XD Food tech had a lot of theory, it was basically like doing another science! Instead of being called Food Technology, should've been called Food Science! For me, it was good it wasn't based around cooking - I'm so bad at it! Our coursework was all done on the computer - which was fine for me but hard for others. It was 40 pages of A4, sounds like loads but you do it progressively.
AboveTheLine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're actually good with computers then ICT will be a painful walk in the park. You'll get taught how to use Microsoft Office from scratch and find it hard to say to the teacher "I already bloody know how to do all this".

You'll also be bogged down with classmates that don't know how to access the internet let alone design an ePotfolio with products.
It's not ICT it's keyboard & mouse skills.

Sorry for my rant. Food is nice but kind of pointless? And I'm jealous you get to choose religious studies, it's a core subject at my school. Boring!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (99)
13.15%
1 (94)
12.48%
2 (94)
12.48%
19.26%
22.58%
20.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise