Bod Mod Society Watch

becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, right, im thinking about stretching my lobes a tinny bit. I mean to like 4mm. Basically i have no idea how to do it, even though ive read up quite a bit about it. Im guessing using tapers is the best way, but i dont understand why if your meant to stretch in one motion, why people have stretching spikes in their ears? Hmm yeah, im just an ignorant idiot. :p: Yeah, and can i but the plugs/tapers online anywhere cheap, or is it best to go to my regular studio?
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people use tapers, and most people also don't have a clue what they're doing which is why so many people wear them :P They're tools, not jewellery.

Basically...one size at a time, don't skip sizes, 6 weeks minimum between stretches, use lube when you stretch, use titanium/steel/glass for a fresh stretch (not acrylic or organics).

You're probably at around 1mm now if you're wearing fashion earrings, so you should go 1.2mm, 1.6mm, 2mm, 2.4mm, 3/3.2mm, 4mm. You probably won't need tapers for the first 2 sizes at least.

Buying stuff online tends to be much cheaper. I prefer using bodyartforms.com, you can get a taper and pair of plugs for around £3.50 in their stretching kits. They also have a 20% off sale at the moment, so buy a few sets so you have some for the future!

http://bodyartforms.com/productdetai...ProductID=3131
That's the stretching kit.

16g - 1.2mm
14g - 1.6mm
12g - 2mm
10g - 2.4mm
8g - 3/3.2mm (varies)
6g - 4mm
Little Girl Red
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hi guys,
i've got a piercing quite far up the lobe in my left ear and its gone really weird in the last six months. its kind of swelled up so that the area surrounding and feels like there's a little ball under the skin. when i squeeze the piercing a little bit of gunk comes out of the piercing.
any ideas?? its so odd, it just came out of nowhere!
K.T.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds like it's infected :/ Try cleaning the piercing and the earring with antibacterial wash?
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i wouldnt say its infected.. more like 'the bump'

does it look like this..?
Pamplemousse22
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I have one of those!
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Little Girl Red)
hi guys,
i've got a piercing quite far up the lobe in my left ear and its gone really weird in the last six months. its kind of swelled up so that the area surrounding and feels like there's a little ball under the skin. when i squeeze the piercing a little bit of gunk comes out of the piercing.
any ideas?? its so odd, it just came out of nowhere!
What jewellery do you have in it? It might have something trapped or not be draining properly. If it's a butterfly stud or something, change it to a barbell with a mm or two of the bar free, and start doing sea salt soaks twice a day. Stop squeezing/messing with it :P
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got my left eyebrow done today. So not painful. I was expecting pain godammit. I had clear balls put on but it still looks so obvious and then there's the blood that seeped out of the bottom staining the clear balls. I will now have a shower! I love it sooo much.
loz_fairy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How long on average before a lip piercing can be changed to a shorter bar?

Mine is really beginning to annoy me, but I don't want to irritate the piercing by changing it too much too early
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3-4 weeks id say.. they're fast healing.
Pamplemousse22
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
i wouldnt say its infected.. more like 'the bump'

does it look like this..?
To heal 'the bump', would you say just sea salt soaks?
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are lots of things that have worked for different people... chamomile tea bags, diluted tea tree oil, saline soaks.. nothing works for me, i find its best to just leave it!

The correct jewellery is essential though.. In that pic for example the scaffold would be better off with two seperate peices as you can see its putting pressure on the ear, and the rook may also have been better with a barbel.

Im dreading 'the bump(s)' that will appear on my three new helix spikes. The oldest of the three is only 2 weeks old so at the moment they look great, but i know in a month or so they'll all have bumps. what fun.. :rolleyes:

an update on the dermal punch situation, if anyone is interested.... in.di.go in Norwich (my regular studio) are going to do it for only 40quid (everywhere else said 50) so i'll be getting it in just over a weeks time. Yaay!
K.T.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^ I'm interested in seeing a pic when it's done
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ARGH! My school is trying to make me take out my ear piercings. They say boys aren't allowed piercings at all but and I pointed this out girls are. Blatent sexism. They can stick it. I'm not overdoing piercings and they only know about three ear piercings. They told me I can't have studs or rings, nothing at all. I asked why and they told me that was the school policy but I am challenging that. I have 3 weeks of lessons left - and they can't make me do anything.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
they have no right if girls are allowed them, you should be. they may just have an issue with more than two piercings?
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I can accept somewhat begrudgingly the limit of 1 per ear but forcing me to remove them all is backward. I go to this lame boarding school.
K.T.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*sympathy*
I hate schools like that.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by K.T.)
^ I'm interested in seeing a pic when it's done
oh there will certainly be pics! probably a little gory as it'll bleed everywhere though..

moodring01 - just ignore them! though if you have that problem again, retainers are your friend
Little Girl Red
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, it defs looks like a bump!! whats the best thing to do? and excuse my ignorance, but what's a barbel? thanks for your help guys :-)
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Little Girl Red)
yeah, it defs looks like a bump!! whats the best thing to do? and excuse my ignorance, but what's a barbel? thanks for your help guys :-)
The best thing to do is to soak it in warm saline solution (1/4 tsp rock salt in a cup of boiled water) once a day. Some people find it works better with chamomile tea, or dropping a few drops of tea tree oil into the solution... personally i find it best to stop cleaning it all together. Basically, theres no set solution and it'll go away on its own eventually.

One thing that everyone will say though, is that barbels are the best jewellery for healing piercings. They are straight bars with balls each end which can unscrew. they look like this:

What have you got in it at the moment? if it was pierced with a gun and you've been wearing fashion earrings, you will need something in 0.8 or 1mm diameter, you can get one from here (select 8mm length as 6mm can be too tight). This jewelery is infinitely better than studs you can buy off the high street.. cheap studs, and even gold and silver are really not suitable for healing piercings. You should be wearing surgical steel or preferably titanium... at least until its fully healed.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (130)
18.6%
No (422)
60.37%
Not really bothered about them (147)
21.03%

Watched Threads