?
Report 8 years ago
Pics or GTFO
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How long does it take for a lobe piercing to close??

I'm really tempted to take my second lobe piercings out today as i never really change the earring, and they're annoying as they aren't equal!! So i'm wondering how long it takes to heal up, so I can get them re-pierced (with needles) evenly! At the mo, the right one is so close to my first piercing i can't wear any big earrings :mad:
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My second lobes took quite a while, probably at least 6 months to close fully...I think I'd had them about 6-7 years when I took them out. You can still just about tell where they were though, and they've been out for around 2.5-3 years now. Depends how long you've had them and just on how your body heals in general!

Depending on where you want the new piercings you may not have to wait till they're closed anyway - if they're not gonna extremely close it might be alright. Just take them out now and see how they are in a few weeks, then talk to a piercer.
Amelia31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm really tempted to get my tragus pierced, but would it look really weird if I don't have my lobes pierced?
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not at all...I always think it looks a bit different - in a good way! - when people don't have lobe piercings but have other piercings in their ears. One of my friends just has his tragus pierced, looks fine!
MidgetJen1990
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does your tracus have to be a certain size to get pierced? cause mine is really small and was wondering if I could actually get it pierced or if it would look stupid if its really smalll.
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most tragus's (tragii?) are pierceable, but if it's realllly small you may not be suited to it. Ask your piercer!
garethDT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey guys. I've been intending to get a tattoo done the last couple of weeks but been so busy and not had the time. Free the next 2 days but flying back to Spain on Friday and don't really want to get it done there.

Is there much chance of just walking into a tattoo shop and getting one done then and there or make an appointment for the next day or will you have to wait ages?
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends on the artist/studio. Most of the really good studios will have waiting lists of months (some studios I know are booked up about a year in advance). Some of the good studios might have a bit of spare time for walk-in appointments for small tattoos though. Your average studio will often have walk-ins, or maybe say to come back the next day (but then again, the average tattoo studio is pretty awful IMO). If you have a studio in mind, might as well just ask. Otherwise, I'd suggest waiting. Personally I'd rather wait a few years and get a perfect tattoo then get an average one right now! :P
Batmaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Got my nape pierced yesterday! I love it. It was the most painful piercing I've had so far though, but the adrenaline rush after was incredible.
garethDT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Got my first tattoo today. Querer es poder on my bicep. Hurt like hell, there was so much blood. When they put the cling film over it it looked like a sachet of ketchup!

Really pleased with it though.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Batmaz)
Got my nape pierced yesterday! I love it. It was the most painful piercing I've had so far though, but the adrenaline rush after was incredible.
Isn't it just :love:
Nynyflower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really want my nape pierced, I keep umming and ahhing.
nadiah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nynyflower)
I really want my nape pierced, I keep umming and ahhing.

I want mine done too, especially since the loss of my microdermal Only thing is, I have long hair so no-one would ever see it, and my hair would probably get all tangled around the balls....
Delta Aitch
Report 8 years ago
This is a first for me and I'm pretty sure I'll get gunned down... but I've been considering getting a tattoo under my ankle for the better part of a year and a half and have finally come to the decision that I'm going to go for it once I get back to uni in a week.

Can I just ask what I'm to expect? Should I walk in with a design and ask for an appointment? Because I have a vague idea of what I want, but I'd like for them to take my idea and expand on it.

I also have a very low pain threshold ("why am I getting a tattoo then?" ) but this tattoo means a lot to me so I'm not going to not get it because of whatever pain I may feel. Can someone just give me an idea of what I'll have to go through? Not just the pain, I mean, but the actual procedure. What will they do? How long will it take to heel? Can I give blood after? The proper care required for after the tattoo's been done, etc.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but since I've decided on going ahead with this, I've just wanted to answer all the questions I have and can't ask the tattoo artist until I get back to uni next week.
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Delta_Aitch)
This is a first for me and I'm pretty sure I'll get gunned down... but I've been considering getting a tattoo under my ankle for the better part of a year and a half and have finally come to the decision that I'm going to go for it once I get back to uni in a week.

Can I just ask what I'm to expect? Should I walk in with a design and ask for an appointment? Because I have a vague idea of what I want, but I'd like for them to take my idea and expand on it.

I also have a very low pain threshold ("why am I getting a tattoo then?" ) but this tattoo means a lot to me so I'm not going to not get it because of whatever pain I may feel. Can someone just give me an idea of what I'll have to go through? Not just the pain, I mean, but the actual procedure. What will they do? How long will it take to heel? Can I give blood after? The proper care required for after the tattoo's been done, etc.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but since I've decided on going ahead with this, I've just wanted to answer all the questions I have and can't ask the tattoo artist until I get back to uni next week.
Like I said a few posts ago - it really depends on the studio in regards to whether you can just walk in. Can I ask what kind of design you want? I'd definitely put some more research into finding a good artist/studio (unless you do have a studio in mind and just didn't mention it). Generally if you want them to expand on your idea you'll have to leave it with them for a while - they may just take your details when you go in and book a separate consultation first, or they might do a quick consultation and talk about your ideas straight away then book an appointment for the actual tattoo. Really good artists will often be pretty booked up for a while, but I'd happily wait years to get the perfect artist. And if you've already been waiting a year and a half, what's another 6 months? ;D

As for the process, maybe watching some videos on Youtube or BME will put you a little more at ease? A lot of Youtube videos aren't necessarily portraying good practice though, so don't take everything you see as 100% accurate, heh.

Currently you can't give blood for 6 months after having a tattoo. After 6 months it's fine.

http://www.compunction.org/healing.txt
Take a look at that for a pretty concise healing/aftercare routine. No personal experience as I don't have any tattoos, but that's the advice I would follow - she generally knows what she's talking about, haha.
Delta Aitch
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
Like I said a few posts ago - it really depends on the studio in regards to whether you can just walk in. Can I ask what kind of design you want? I'd definitely put some more research into finding a good artist/studio (unless you do have a studio in mind and just didn't mention it). Generally if you want them to expand on your idea you'll have to leave it with them for a while - they may just take your details when you go in and book a separate consultation first, or they might do a quick consultation and talk about your ideas straight away then book an appointment for the actual tattoo. Really good artists will often be pretty booked up for a while, but I'd happily wait years to get the perfect artist. And if you've already been waiting a year and a half, what's another 6 months? ;D

As for the process, maybe watching some videos on Youtube or BME will put you a little more at ease? A lot of Youtube videos aren't necessarily portraying good practice though, so don't take everything you see as 100% accurate, heh.

Currently you can't give blood for 6 months after having a tattoo. After 6 months it's fine.

http://www.compunction.org/healing.txt
Take a look at that for a pretty concise healing/aftercare routine. No personal experience as I don't have any tattoos, but that's the advice I would follow - she generally knows what she's talking about, haha.
Ahh wow, thank you for that, I will defo give them a look up.

As for the design, I have a vague idea that I want a pair of small football boots under my ankle (tied together) with a name and the years of birth underneath it. I don't want an overly large or intricate tattoo, I just want something simple that means a lot.

I do have a place in mind, actually. It's the same place a friend of mine got her tragus (sp?) pierced, got scaffolding in her ear and got her tattoo. They seemed really good and kept us both well informed during the whole process of her piercings (I never went for the tattoo as she got hers a while back).
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Stretched to 4mm :woo:
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Delta_Aitch)
Ahh wow, thank you for that, I will defo give them a look up.

As for the design, I have a vague idea that I want a pair of small football boots under my ankle (tied together) with a name and the years of birth underneath it. I don't want an overly large or intricate tattoo, I just want something simple that means a lot.

I do have a place in mind, actually. It's the same place a friend of mine got her tragus (sp?) pierced, got scaffolding in her ear and got her tattoo. They seemed really good and kept us both well informed during the whole process of her piercings (I never went for the tattoo as she got hers a while back).
Make sure you have a look at the artist's portfolio and that you're happy with the quality of their work. Maybe look at some others in the area or online so you have something to compare it to. As Kate said, you've waited a long time, so now you really should take the little bit of extra time to find somewhere good that is going to give you a tattoo you can be proud of. Don't just walk into the nearest studio.

Once you've decided on the artist/studio, take your design in and talk to them about it. They'll tell you what they think will work with the position you want and discuss the design with you and so forth, and then draw something up over the next few days/weeks depending on how busy they are. Then, if you're happy with their design, you're ready to go.

Pain is not something to worry about. Yes, it will hurt, but it won't be unbearable. And it will be worth it. And it'll be over quickly enough anyway! To put it bluntly, if you really want the tattoo, the pain won't matter. It's just something you have to deal with.

As Kate said, you can't give blood for 6 months afterwards.

For aftercare, the tattoo artist should tell you what they think is best. I've tried quite a few things over the years but this is what I've found works best and I've stuck to since I started doing it:

Rinse with luke warm couple of hours after it's done.
Air-dry for 15 mins then cover with cling film.
Before bed rinse again and cover with fresh clingfilm.
Next morning, wash with fragrance-free soap.
Apply bepanthen.
Reapply bepanthen every few hours to keep it moist.
(run the bepanthen tube under a hot tap for a few minutes first, makes it easier to rub in)

If the tattoo artist recommends using savlon or vaseline, you've picked the wrong place. DO NOT use either of these products.
Trigger
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
Make sure you have a look at the artist's portfolio and that you're happy with the quality of their work. Maybe look at some others in the area or online so you have something to compare it to. As Kate said, you've waited a long time, so now you really should take the little bit of extra time to find somewhere good that is going to give you a tattoo you can be proud of. Don't just walk into the nearest studio.

Once you've decided on the artist/studio, take your design in and talk to them about it. They'll tell you what they think will work with the position you want and discuss the design with you and so forth, and then draw something up over the next few days/weeks depending on how busy they are. Then, if you're happy with their design, you're ready to go.

Pain is not something to worry about. Yes, it will hurt, but it won't be unbearable. And it will be worth it. And it'll be over quickly enough anyway! To put it bluntly, if you really want the tattoo, the pain won't matter. It's just something you have to deal with.

As Kate said, you can't give blood for 6 months afterwards.

For aftercare, the tattoo artist should tell you what they think is best. I've tried quite a few things over the years but this is what I've found works best and I've stuck to since I started doing it:

Rinse with luke warm couple of hours after it's done.
Air-dry for 15 mins then cover with cling film.
Before bed rinse again and cover with fresh clingfilm.
Next morning, wash with fragrance-free soap.
Apply bepanthen.
Reapply bepanthen every few hours to keep it moist.
(run the bepanthen tube under a hot tap for a few minutes first, makes it easier to rub in)

If the tattoo artist recommends using savlon or vaseline, you've picked the wrong place. DO NOT use either of these products.
I've never heard anything about Savlon being bad but i have always used Bepanthen regardless. Why no Savlon?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads