The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know where I can get 7mm tapers from? I've just bought a taper and two 7mm plugs off BJS but the taper is enormous! I normally leave tapers in for a while whilst stretching - no more than a few hours mind - but this thing is about 10cm long and really heavy - the other steel ones I've had haven't been more than 4/5cm and relatively light!

I just tried to use it, but it starts at 6.3mm according to my callipers and it irritated my ear straight away.

It's been a good 5/6 weeks since I stretched to 6mm.

So yeah, any ideas? UK preferably, I can't really afford too much on postage! I normally go for Flesh Tunnels but they don't do 7mm :frown:
Reply 4761
pixiepeep
Does anyone know where I can get 7mm tapers from? I've just bought a taper and two 7mm plugs off BJS but the taper is enormous! I normally leave tapers in for a while whilst stretching - no more than a few hours mind - but this thing is about 10cm long and really heavy - the other steel ones I've had haven't been more than 4/5cm and relatively light!

I just tried to use it, but it starts at 6.3mm according to my callipers and it irritated my ear straight away.

It's been a good 5/6 weeks since I stretched to 6mm.

So yeah, any ideas? UK preferably, I can't really afford too much on postage! I normally go for Flesh Tunnels but they don't do 7mm :frown:

Wait long enough and you shouldn't need to leave the taper in at all (I wait 6 weeks as a minimum but just be patient if it takes longer). With a bit of lube it should slide right through, then follow it straight away with the plug. Even though it starts at a tiny bit bigger than what your lobes are now, if you're ready to stretch that shouldn't really a problem - plenty of people don't use tapers at all and just slip the next size plugs in when their ears are ready.

Alternatively, get some PTFE tape (it's like 50p from Maplints/B&Q/Focus/etc), and wrap a layer or two around your plugs every few days until you reach 7mm. Use a lot of lube/oil everytime you add more, it can get quite drying. I've used tape since about 4mm and it's my favourite method of stretching.
Kate.
Wait long enough and you shouldn't need to leave the taper in at all (I wait 6 weeks as a minimum but just be patient if it takes longer). With a bit of lube it should slide right through, then follow it straight away with the plug. Even though it starts at a tiny bit bigger than what your lobes are now, if you're ready to stretch that shouldn't really a problem - plenty of people don't use tapers at all and just slip the next size plugs in when their ears are ready.

Alternatively, get some PTFE tape (it's like 50p from Maplints/B&Q/Focus/etc), and wrap a layer or two around your plugs every few days until you reach 7mm. Use a lot of lube/oil everytime you add more, it can get quite drying. I've used tape since about 4mm and it's my favourite method of stretching.

Yeah normally I don't have much trouble - I can usually get the taper in 90% of the way before it stings a little, then I tend to leave it there for an hour or so, then it's fine, and the plug goes in easy.

for some reason I'm still having issues with my 6mm - I tend to take them out once a fortnight to really clean the tunnels, and to moisturise with Vit e Oil (the skin around them tends to get quite dry) but I always have to put the taper back in, otherwise they immediately start healing up!!! But then i've always been like that, even when they were standard stud sized. I had to take one out when I started stretching, and it healed up to almost invisible within a few days.

But yeah, every time i take the 6mm's out it's like they're dragging on the skin, even though they're fine when they're in my ears, and go in fine.

I guess I'll wait a bit longer to try to stretch. Plus, I've just bought some bondage tape off eBay (worried PTFE would dry my ears out, I've read a few stories about it happening to others) so I shall give that a go!!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 4763
Hey guys, just had a not good piercing experience so this might be a bit of a rant :tongue:
Just had my nose done, been wanting it for a while and when i was out thought why not. Everything looked fine, the place seemed clean and whatnot.
Was sat chatting to the girl, explained that i'm really scared of needles so wanted her to warn me before i had it so i could shut my eyes.
She drew a dot on my nose where it was gonna go, i was just about to get up and look in the mirror to check that's where i wanted it, but before i could get up or even say anything she'd pierced me.....with a GUN!! Am really not happy with this, not only the fact she'd used a gun (which i suppose is partly my fault for not checking, but never thought in a million years they'd use anything but a needle for nose), and because she didn't give me a chance to check where it was going, it's too far forward :frown: So yes, not fun at all haha.
Reply 4764
KTpie
Hey guys, just had a not good piercing experience so this might be a bit of a rant :tongue:
Just had my nose done, been wanting it for a while and when i was out thought why not. Everything looked fine, the place seemed clean and whatnot.
Was sat chatting to the girl, explained that i'm really scared of needles so wanted her to warn me before i had it so i could shut my eyes.
She drew a dot on my nose where it was gonna go, i was just about to get up and look in the mirror to check that's where i wanted it, but before i could get up or even say anything she'd pierced me.....with a GUN!! Am really not happy with this, not only the fact she'd used a gun (which i suppose is partly my fault for not checking, but never thought in a million years they'd use anything but a needle for nose), and because she didn't give me a chance to check where it was going, it's too far forward :frown: So yes, not fun at all haha.

I'm sure another more experienced bod modder will correct me, but I'm sure you'll just be able to take out the stud and let it heal? Go to the place and complain and either get them to do it where you want/with a needle for free or get your money back and find someone better to do it.

Paying £10+ or however much for the time they take to do I'm sure they won't argue so much?
Reply 4765
squeak
I'm sure another more experienced bod modder will correct me, but I'm sure you'll just be able to take out the stud and let it heal? Go to the place and complain and either get them to do it where you want/with a needle for free or get your money back and find someone better to do it.

Paying £10+ or however much for the time they take to do I'm sure they won't argue so much?

Yeah, gonna go complain tomorrow...not sure that that's gonna do much though cause after when i pointed out to her the fact i wasn't happy that she'd done it without letting me check where it was going, and for doing it with a gun, she got pretty arsey. I think i'm going to leave it in for now, to give myself time to get used to it and see if i like it after a few days. I think maybe i'm just not keen on where it is cause i'm not used to seeing myself with it maybe =/ i suppose there's a lesson to be learned from this for me :rolleyes:
Reply 4766
KTpie
Yeah, gonna go complain tomorrow...not sure that that's gonna do much though cause after when i pointed out to her the fact i wasn't happy that she'd done it without letting me check where it was going, and for doing it with a gun, she got pretty arsey. I think i'm going to leave it in for now, to give myself time to get used to it and see if i like it after a few days. I think maybe i'm just not keen on where it is cause i'm not used to seeing myself with it maybe =/ i suppose there's a lesson to be learned from this for me :rolleyes:

Might be that, when I got my helix done I didn't check where he did it, cause it felt higher up, when I looked it was lower than I had imagined but when I thought about it/got used to it I'm so glad I didn't get it done higher. Plus he said it was probs best place for the way my ear curved kinda thing and I love it.

BUT if you're not happy defo go back, or just get it done again somewhere else if you can't be arsed with the hassle. She shouldn't really get arsey, maybe she was just being defensive and being arsey to avoid you complaining (probs thought you wouldn't chase it up if she put you off?) but I duno if there are like trading laws with piercings? Heh. Where are all the piercing gurus?
Reply 4767
Yeah i mean it doesn't look bad, just annoying cause it's a bit off where i wanted it so i guess it takes time to get used to.

Just a bit worried about the fact she used a gun, what with like infections and stuff. Anyone got any advice about this?
If you don't feel confident about going in, write them a snotty letter or give them a ring, that is incredibly bad practice and probably GBH :p:

Though i am struggling to understand how she sprung at you with a gun without you realising? It's hardly a small instrument?
Reply 4769
Thanks for the advice guys :smile: I know, i guess cause she did it so quick i didn't really have time to react :s was pretty shocked ha
Reply 4770
oh and also she was behind me, like i said i'm scared of needles so didn't exactly want to watch her getting stuff ready
Reply 4771
Ok so a quick update on that: went into the shop this morning, talked to the manager and he said it's their 'policy' to use a gun for nose piercings (and others), and that they see no problem with it. BUT he admitted i should have been warned this was what they were going to use, gave me a refund and got the girl to apologise for the way she did it. And after getting used to it, am pretty happy with my piercing :smile:
Reply 4772
If you're planning on keeping the gunned nostril, I'd seriously recommend going to a better studio and at least getting the jewellery changed to something more suitable. Gun studs are usually pretty low quality, and a straight stud (I'm assuming that's what you have, with no back on?) is very likely to fall out.

And stay well away from any studio that uses guns, especially for cartilage or nostril piercings! Blergh.
Reply 4773
KTpie
Ok so a quick update on that: went into the shop this morning, talked to the manager and he said it's their 'policy' to use a gun for nose piercings (and others), and that they see no problem with it. BUT he admitted i should have been warned this was what they were going to use, gave me a refund and got the girl to apologise for the way she did it. And after getting used to it, am pretty happy with my piercing :smile:

Wicked! You could use the money you got back to get a better stud like Kate. suggested seeing as you like the placement of it now :cute:

Win win!
Wooooo... guess what guys?! I have a job... as a body piercer! Ive just done a week of intensive training... ive been piercing lips, ears, nipples, navels, noses, eyebrows, surface staples.. all sorts. After 6 months or piercing in the shop ill be trained to do genital piercings, dermal punches and microdermals.

None of the people i pierced during my training knew i was a trainee.. bu every piercing came out perfect and every customer was happy. I've heard/experienced so many badly done piercings... im determined to become the best piercer in nottingham :biggrin:
Reply 4775
SoundDevastation
Wooooo... guess what guys?! I have a job... as a body piercer! Ive just done a week of intensive training... ive been piercing lips, ears, nipples, navels, noses, eyebrows, surface staples.. all sorts. After 6 months or piercing in the shop ill be trained to do genital piercings, dermal punches and microdermals.

None of the people i pierced during my training knew i was a trainee.. bu every piercing came out perfect and every customer was happy. I've heard/experienced so many badly done piercings... im determined to become the best piercer in nottingham :biggrin:

where?
Reply 4776
Personally I wouldn't be impressed if I was pierced by an apprentice without being told - thats not generally good practice...and surface piercings in your first week? :| Well, hope it goes well. What studio are you working at?
I just wanted to post about a good experience that became a bad experience that became a good experience!
I went to get my second skin diver the other day on my chest, at the same place I had my first.
We faffed around and finally agreed the placement and I was all happy and went home, but when I got in and the swelling had gone down a bit I realised it wasn't lining up with the first one (and looked a little bit silly)
So I went back to the place, and after a really positive convo with the piercer and the owner, they pulled it out. They're gonna re-sterilise it then in a month put it back in free of charge :smile:
The correct procedure for a mistake methinks!
Kate.
Personally I wouldn't be impressed if I was pierced by an apprentice without being told - thats not generally good practice...and surface piercings in your first week? :| Well, hope it goes well. What studio are you working at?

Agreed, i am really happy for you but if i was pierced by someone who had only been doing it a week i would be very very annoyed.
Reply 4779
SoundDevastation

Woo nottingham, where are you working? I live there now so might come to you for my next ones :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest