The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4780
SoundDevastation
Wooooo... guess what guys?! I have a job... as a body piercer

Congrats :cool:
After the longest um and ah ever I have decided to get my belly button pierced, glad I decided that one!
Kate.
Personally I wouldn't be impressed if I was pierced by an apprentice without being told - thats not generally good practice...and surface piercings in your first week? :| Well, hope it goes well. What studio are you working at?

If the piercing wasnt done well then thats understandable... they wouldnt have let me do them unless they knew id do it well. Its their rep on the line as a studio, not mine.

Surface piercings are surprisingly easy to do, its a case of getting the markings and clamping spot on so the bar sits at the right depth, conveniently im a little obsessive over little details like that :o:

Im working at Blue Banana. They dont have the best of reputations in the piercing world, but im very happy with their procedure and training (and the piercings ive got there) I have to do a bit of shop floor work too.. but its all good fun. :yep:
Blue Banana :indiff:
Reply 4784
Trigger
Blue Banana :indiff:

In my experience, Blue Banana isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's more about the piercer than the fact that it's just 'blue banana'. True, there are more experienced studios out there that come with prices to match, but I've had a dozen piercings done at BB and each time was fine. Always clean, the piercers I've encountered all were very friendly, talkative and knowledgable about piercing. The only thing is the tea tree oil they give you- I never use it, personally. However, that is always accompanied by good advice about sea salt soaks and all the other general stuff that a piercee would need to know .

I just think it has a bad rep because the ease of it and the prices attract a younger clientele- or at least one that hasn't really done much research about piercing- who don't perform correct aftercare and then complain when things go wrong.

Sounds like I'm having a go at you there but I'm really not haha.
My problem with it is the fact the piercers don't seem to know what they are doing. Three times an idiot friend of mine went there and all three times she ended up with something completely ridiculous. First was a nose piercing with a gun then they were supposed to pierce the webbing between her thumb and forefinger and pierced the muscle instead. Then put a short labret stud in it, then told her to use the tea tree oil and then gave her no aftercare advice at all. Unsprisingly the swelling became too much for her hand and it got infected. Finally she went back to get them to sort it out and told her to take the thing out and leave it, so basically any infection that was in her hand would have been allowed to settle inside the muscle. They offered her no explanation, no refund and no advice. She ended up going to A+E a week later and was told she was a moron.

I've never heard a good word to say about them, i am happy that SD has a job and hopefully she will learn a lot but the fact she was piercing people in her first week without telling the customer (i would have been furious) is typical BB behaviour. They should stick to selling clothes IMO.
Got the lower navel piercing done today, does anyone know anything about rejection & migration of this piercing?
Also, the 'fore surface tragus', this should be done with a proper surface bar right? Not a curved barbell?
Cheers.
Reply 4787
Buster_Bunny
Got the lower navel piercing done today, does anyone know anything about rejection & migration of this piercing?
Also, the 'fore surface tragus', this should be done with a proper surface bar right? Not a curved barbell?
Cheers.

As long as you're actually well suited to the piercing (in anatomy and lifestyle), rejection & migration rates would be no different to standard navel and shouldn't be too much to worry about. Unfortunately a lot of piercers don't seem to use much judgement when piercing navels, so that's generally why quite a lot reject :P A lot of people don't have very defined navels, or wear clothes that irritate it, or do exercises/hobbies/jobs that knock it around a lot. All you can do is just look after it well, try not to mess and don't get impatient if it takes a long time to heal ;D

I've had no problems with my inverse navel though, and I'm not ideal anatomy-wise (not a very defined ridge to pierce).

And yep, all surface piercings should be done with surface bars.
Kate.
As long as you're actually well suited to the piercing (in anatomy and lifestyle), rejection & migration rates would be no different to standard navel and shouldn't be too much to worry about. Unfortunately a lot of piercers don't seem to use much judgement when piercing navels, so that's generally why quite a lot reject :P A lot of people don't have very defined navels, or wear clothes that irritate it, or do exercises/hobbies/jobs that knock it around a lot. All you can do is just look after it well, try not to mess and don't get impatient if it takes a long time to heal ;D

I've had no problems with my inverse navel though, and I'm not ideal anatomy-wise (not a very defined ridge to pierce).

And yep, all surface piercings should be done with surface bars.

Ahh ok then, thanks. Should be ok :smile:

Thats what i thought! Not getting that done then...
I have 2 tragus piercings on my right ear (vertical and not surface) and have had them since July. They are bars not rings, can I change them yet? If so to what and where can I get them online? :smile:
Reply 4790
If they've felt healed for a while then you might be okay to change them. Cartilage can take a year or so to fully heal and can easily flare up if you change jewellery too early though, so be careful!

You need to know what gauge they were pierced at to buy new jewellery - it'll almost certainly be 1.2mm or 1.6mm (and out of those, 1.2mm is more common in my experience). If you're not sure which one yours is, but you're happy being at 1.2mm in the future, then just go for that! The length will be 6-8mm unless you have a very fat tragus, heh. I wear 6mm and have about 1mm extra length on my labrets.

Soo once you've figured out the sizes, look for barbells or labrets in the right measurements :smile: Bodyartforms.com is also a great site, but in America so you'll have to wait a little longer for delivery. Same for SteelNavel.com. Wildcat.co.uk is UK-based, but sells mostly the same stuff as BJS, just a little more choice.
Reply 4791
Trigger
My problem with it is the fact the piercers don't seem to know what they are doing. Three times an idiot friend of mine went there and all three times she ended up with something completely ridiculous. First was a nose piercing with a gun then they were supposed to pierce the webbing between her thumb and forefinger and pierced the muscle instead. Then put a short labret stud in it, then told her to use the tea tree oil and then gave her no aftercare advice at all. Unsprisingly the swelling became too much for her hand and it got infected. Finally she went back to get them to sort it out and told her to take the thing out and leave it, so basically any infection that was in her hand would have been allowed to settle inside the muscle. They offered her no explanation, no refund and no advice. She ended up going to A+E a week later and was told she was a moron.

I've never heard a good word to say about them, i am happy that SD has a job and hopefully she will learn a lot but the fact she was piercing people in her first week without telling the customer (i would have been furious) is typical BB behaviour. They should stick to selling clothes IMO.

It does differ depending on the branch of BB I suppose. I just stick to getting my ears done there. I think if I was to get a surface bar or my hand web pierced again I'd go to a big studio or a piercer I know personally, which is what I did for those and my tongue. Somewhere like BB isn't really likely to be asked for hand web piercings very often, I'd rather go somewhere that I can be sure knows a bit more about rarer piercings. It was just a bit more reassuring for me. I did ask if they use guns and at the Sheffield BB, they said that they'll never insist on using a gun for nose/ear piercing, just that some people who come in want it done that way because it's quicker/they think it'll be less painful. Personally I think that's fair enough, if people don't care enough to research properly and actually want a gunned piercing then let them. I'd always make a point of checking the procedure they use. They sterilise the guns to the extent that a gun can be sterilised and with proper aftercare, even piercings done with slightly lax procedure can be healed. Unless the placements entirely crap that it or the jewellery's totally wrong that is. The story about your friend's hand makes me shudder!
Hey all, I said i'd post here when I finally get it done, so:

My first tattoo - was done yesterday and hurt like a bitch at some points (although I am a wimp...)

Spoiler

I will get a better picture of it when it's healed and somebody else is there to take it for me. it's on the base of my neck, in case you were wondering.
hey guys,

i'm getting my nose pierced next week; i've researched it and will be making sure it's done with a needle and not a gun, but i was wondering what to expect from the whole process?

i'm also wanting to get a tattoo done in a few months time, once i've turned 18, and was wondering how to go about finding a reputable studio in my area?

sorry for all the questions, just want to make the process of each goes smoothly, and thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 4794
ifyougotthemoney
hey guys,

i'm getting my nose pierced next week; i've researched it and will be making sure it's done with a needle and not a gun, but i was wondering what to expect from the whole process?

i'm also wanting to get a tattoo done in a few months time, once i've turned 18, and was wondering how to go about finding a reputable studio in my area?

sorry for all the questions, just want to make the process of each goes smoothly, and thanks in advance :smile:

Well...they'll clean the area, mark it up, you'll say yes/no, then they'll pierce it :p: Some piercers may use a receiving tube. Tends to feel quite sensitive IMO and nostril/septum piercings can make your eyes water so you might not wanna wear too much eye makeup - mine were absolutely streaming by the end, haha. But I did have it pierced 3 times in a row (had both nostrils done, one was very slightly off so they took it out and re-did it straight away).

About the tattoo studios - just look up the names of ones in your area (BodyJewelleryShop.com have a studio directory, and search BME too), find their online portfolios - most studios will have one on Myspace and/or their proper website too. Find an artist you like and contact them! Depending on the style and how fussy you are, you may want to look in quite a wide area - personally, being the ridiculously fussy person I am, there are probably 10 artists in the entire country who I would go to (that I know of so far, anyway). If you just want something simple then I'm sure you'll find someone nearby you're happy with, but for something complex, realistic work, portraits, etc I'd definitely look around more. Good artists often have waiting lists that may be a few weeks or months, but could be up to a year if they're extremely talented and popular.

What kind of tattoo do you want, and whereabouts are you? Some people here may have suggestions.
I am having such difficulty deciding which piercing to get, there's a lot I want. Considering a daith now, kind of decided that a navel piercing might make me look even more 15.
Kate.
Well...they'll clean the area, mark it up, you'll say yes/no, then they'll pierce it :p: Some piercers may use a receiving tube. Tends to feel quite sensitive IMO and nostril/septum piercings can make your eyes water so you might not wanna wear too much eye makeup - mine were absolutely streaming by the end, haha. But I did have it pierced 3 times in a row (had both nostrils done, one was very slightly off so they took it out and re-did it straight away).

About the tattoo studios - just look up the names of ones in your area (BodyJewelleryShop.com have a studio directory, and search BME too), find their online portfolios - most studios will have one on Myspace and/or their proper website too. Find an artist you like and contact them! Depending on the style and how fussy you are, you may want to look in quite a wide area - personally, being the ridiculously fussy person I am, there are probably 10 artists in the entire country who I would go to (that I know of so far, anyway). If you just want something simple then I'm sure you'll find someone nearby you're happy with, but for something complex, realistic work, portraits, etc I'd definitely look around more. Good artists often have waiting lists that may be a few weeks or months, but could be up to a year if they're extremely talented and popular.

What kind of tattoo do you want, and whereabouts are you? Some people here may have suggestions.

ah thank you, this is all really helpful :biggrin:

i'm wanting simply the words 'that I would be good...' tattooed in my own handwriting, i'm unsure of the placement atm though, as i'm thinking if i go into a professional career or whatnot i won't want it too on show, though as it will only be small and tasteful perhaps this wouldn't be an issue? definitely need to think about this. i'm near bath so ideally would be looking for somewhere in somerset :smile:

thanks!
ifyougotthemoney
ah thank you, this is all really helpful :biggrin:

i'm wanting simply the words 'that I would be good...' tattooed in my own handwriting, i'm unsure of the placement atm though, as i'm thinking if i go into a professional career or whatnot i won't want it too on show, though as it will only be small and tasteful perhaps this wouldn't be an issue? definitely need to think about this. i'm near bath so ideally would be looking for somewhere in somerset :smile:

thanks!

Book with Ben Boston in Bristol. The man is a genius i swear.
Trigger
Book with Ben Boston in Bristol. The man is a genius i swear.

i've just looked him up.. he's amazing! thank you for this, i'll be going there i think, just gotta find the cheltenham road now haha :smile:
Kate.
If they've felt healed for a while then you might be okay to change them. Cartilage can take a year or so to fully heal and can easily flare up if you change jewellery too early though, so be careful!

You need to know what gauge they were pierced at to buy new jewellery - it'll almost certainly be 1.2mm or 1.6mm (and out of those, 1.2mm is more common in my experience). If you're not sure which one yours is, but you're happy being at 1.2mm in the future, then just go for that! The length will be 6-8mm unless you have a very fat tragus, heh. I wear 6mm and have about 1mm extra length on my labrets.

Soo once you've figured out the sizes, look for barbells or labrets in the right measurements :smile: Bodyartforms.com is also a great site, but in America so you'll have to wait a little longer for delivery. Same for SteelNavel.com. Wildcat.co.uk is UK-based, but sells mostly the same stuff as BJS, just a little more choice.

thankyouuuuuuu :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending