The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Buster_Bunny
Hello! :smile:

Im going travelling with my boyfriend at various times over the next year, and i want to incorporate a half sleeve design by getting small tattoos in each place that we go.. he wants to do the same.

Im not asking for a design, but for any help with how to go about it? Like, suggestions on what would be a great way to represent each place via tattoo?

Or! is it a better idea to not plan ahead with a design, but see how i feel when im there and get something made up then?

thank you :smile:

edit: thanks already to those fast responses, but i know a guy who has done the sleeve idea and literally gone to an artist in each country and told them they have a certain section of arm and to tattoo him showing what represents that country. And it ended up looking incredible! so it can work..

This is a cool idea :smile: In practice I'd be more likely to make a scrapbook and get people to contribute images to that, then compile it all at the end. I think that has the benefits of being able to get more viewpoints and interpretations of the same place, you can choose what bits reflect your personal experience best, you can choose how to make it fit together, and basically there's more control :p:

I'd be worried that by doing stuff as you went along, it might not fit together very nicely and you might end up not emphasising some of the bits you really like. Would you section off your arm in advance? I think that could make a very big difference to the end result.
What if you don't like some of the places you go to? lol.

Hmmm, might end up looking very 'bitty' and unrelated. I prefer sleeves to have a definite theme, personally.
I had another dermal put in yesterday.

"You're skin's really tough! I'm pushing with all my strength!" OUCH. :lolwut:

Hurt like a bitch.
Can anyone recommend any good tattoo artists in the Cardiff area? I'm looking to get a tattoo on my upper left thigh, but it will be over some scars and things (I know this is possible, but is it advisable? Will its quality be of a lower standard?), and I'm also quite particular and would like to be able to see a portfolio or something first, so that I can be sure of what I'm getting.
If you are willing to travel and to wait i can utterly recommend Ben Boston in Bristol. He is a genius! I'l post some of his work.

This is my friends leg;

Small selection anyway, if you Google him more stuff comes up :smile:

He works at The Tattoo Studio number 01179077407
Ear scalpeling

read spoiler if you want background, otherwise feel free to ignore it.

Spoiler

so can anyone recommend me a place that will do lobe scalpeling, preferably in London (or near milton keynes / cambridge)
Reply 5006
didgeridoo12uk
Ear scalpeling

read spoiler if you want background, otherwise feel free to ignore it.

Spoiler

so can anyone recommend me a place that will do lobe scalpeling, preferably in London (or near milton keynes / cambridge)

Cold Steel in Camden are good (if a little grumpy depending on who serves you but do a good job either way) they should do it, give them a call?
Buster_Bunny
Hello! :smile:

Im going travelling with my boyfriend at various times over the next year, and i want to incorporate a half sleeve design by getting small tattoos in each place that we go.. he wants to do the same.

Im not asking for a design, but for any help with how to go about it? Like, suggestions on what would be a great way to represent each place via tattoo?

Or! is it a better idea to not plan ahead with a design, but see how i feel when im there and get something made up then?

thank you :smile:

edit: thanks already to those fast responses, but i know a guy who has done the sleeve idea and literally gone to an artist in each country and told them they have a certain section of arm and to tattoo him showing what represents that country. And it ended up looking incredible! so it can work..

Sounds like a good idea, my views however..

The guy you know might have a good looking half sleeve in the end, but you'll find that each artist might have a very different style of tattooing, and that in the end it won't end up being a solid half sleeve, but rather half of your arm covered in various different tattoos..

Also depending on the location and how often you're moving around, it might make it rather difficult getting tattooed each time.

What I would personally is make like a scrapbook of your time travelling, as someone has said you might not be able to take something memorable and tattoo-able from each destination, so I'd recommend collecting all the best bits of the whole trip, then finding the right artist when you get home and get them to design a proper half sleeve incorporating the best bits of the trip that you're recorded..
Reply 5008
I have 8 ear piercings - 3 on each lobe and a cartilage on each ear :smile: And a tattoo on my ankle :smile:
Got my tragus pierced! :biggrin:
Didn't really hurt. Anyone got their snug done? I might get that next and get my ears done for the second time and that'll be me. But yeah, snug anyone got it? Is it really that sore? :frown:
(I don't think I have a high pain threshold lol, though my tragus was bearable)
Reply 5010
pamelaa
Got my tragus pierced! :biggrin:
Didn't really hurt. Anyone got their snug done? I might get that next and get my ears done for the second time and that'll be me. But yeah, snug anyone got it? Is it really that sore? :frown:
(I don't think I have a high pain threshold lol, though my tragus was bearable)

Snugs are usually thicker/harder chunks of cartilage so yeah, it may hurt a bit more. Unfortunately they're also notorious for being hard to heal, very easily irritated, etc. Not everyone is suited to them either, ideally you need quite a defined snug.

I retired mine after about 4-6 months (a few years ago, can't remember) because it was just horrible. However, I don't think mine was placed brilliantly in the first place, I think it was a bit too shallow.
Trigger

Those are absolutely amazing but I'm afraid he'd probably laugh at me because I'm considering something much, much smaller! I do really want to get it done somewhere reputable, though. I desperately want to make sure it turns out well!

But as I said, I'm anxious of the fact that I have some scarring on my thigh, so I'm worried that the tattoo won't turn out very well. Does anyone have any experience with tattoos over scars?
Reply 5012
Hello fellow body modders! I have a few very random questions...

I've been wanting my tongue pierced for a very long time, but have been a bit put off; aside from the worry about pain/being unable to talk for a few days, what I'm most worried about is tooth damage, in particular to my front teeth.

On of my front teeth is mostly filling (accident at a party, lol) and I ended up getting a root canal which meant it is very brittle and falls out a lot. It fell out recently for the third time, and as it had fallen out so much my dentist slightly changed the shape, making it a bit thicker and therefore less likely to fall out (apparently). So I've thought it might be worth a try...

My main worry, though, is that I will end up biting down on the bar or ball with my front teeth accidentally and crack the filling out again :frown: I was wondering if any of you with tongue piercings find you bite on the bar/ball specifically with your front teeth a lot? How often do you bite down on the ball with any teeth?

Thanks!

(tl;dr: I want my tongue pierced, have issues, how often do you bite the bar with your front teeth.)
nadiah

I've been wanting my tongue pierced for a very long time, but have been a bit put off; aside from the worry about pain/being unable to talk for a few days, what I'm most worried about is tooth damage, in particular to my front teeth.

On of my front teeth is mostly filling (accident at a party, lol) and I ended up getting a root canal which meant it is very brittle and falls out a lot. It fell out recently for the third time, and as it had fallen out so much my dentist slightly changed the shape, making it a bit thicker and therefore less likely to fall out (apparently). So I've thought it might be worth a try...

My main worry, though, is that I will end up biting down on the bar or ball with my front teeth accidentally and crack the filling out again :frown: I was wondering if any of you with tongue piercings find you bite on the bar/ball specifically with your front teeth a lot? How often do you bite down on the ball with any teeth?

Thanks!

(tl;dr: I want my tongue pierced, have issues, how often do you bite the bar with your front teeth.)

i've never caught my tongue bar on my front teeth, sometimes i accidentally chew it with my back teeth tho :smile:
Reply 5014
nadiah

Thanks!

I've never bitten on the tongue piercing with my front teeth by accident. I do it when I'm rolling it around in my mouth when I'm bored, but on purpose. I have bitten down on it pretty hard with my back teeth once or twice but I've never chipped or cracked any teeth!

I'm hoping to get my nose pierced on Friday, wish me luck everyone! My boyfriend thinks a stud would look better but I think a ring would. Any advice on which is easier to heal/deal with?
Get the stud first as that is better for the healing, then you can swap to a ring as and when you like after a few weeks :smile:
Reply 5016
Batmaz
I've never bitten on the tongue piercing with my front teeth by accident. I do it when I'm rolling it around in my mouth when I'm bored, but on purpose. I have bitten down on it pretty hard with my back teeth once or twice but I've never chipped or cracked any teeth!

I'm hoping to get my nose pierced on Friday, wish me luck everyone! My boyfriend thinks a stud would look better but I think a ring would. Any advice on which is easier to heal/deal with?

loz_fairy
i've never caught my tongue bar on my front teeth, sometimes i accidentally chew it with my back teeth tho :smile:

ahh ty guys! I think I may get it done now that I have a little piece of mind :biggrin:

Good luck with your nose piercing Batmaz! I personally healed with a stud and actually managed to pull it out once or twice accidentally (not recommended!) but it popped back in pretty easy...I imagine a ring would be harder to put back in when healing (But then again, might be less likely to fall out in the first place!). I never had any problems apart from that though :smile:
Reply 5017
I got in done with a bar in the end and it was the most painful piercing I've ever had! Wow. I had it done at Blue Banana and I was wondering what the verdict is on the tea tree oil they give you there is, is it too harsh to use on fresh piercings? Because I've been applying a couple of drops then rinsing it with boiled salted water but it makes it sting, I was going to stop using it and just use the salt water. Any advice?
Reply 5018
Batmaz
I got in done with a bar in the end and it was the most painful piercing I've ever had! Wow. I had it done at Blue Banana and I was wondering what the verdict is on the tea tree oil they give you there is, is it too harsh to use on fresh piercings? Because I've been applying a couple of drops then rinsing it with boiled salted water but it makes it sting, I was going to stop using it and just use the salt water. Any advice?

Tea Tree oil is FAR too harsh for new piercings! Salt water is just fine on it's own =]
Batmaz

Unless you hate your body i would never get anything done at BB. They are as bad as Claires Accessories as far as i am concerned. Awful, rude and poorly trained staff giving terrible after care advice and handing out teetree oil to people who know no better.

Not impressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending