Bod Mod Society Watch

Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ibanezar200)
i had my cartilage pierced about 7 weeks ago but is still a little sore on the back when i clean it. Do you think it could be infected? Just not sure because its only a little sore and apparently it takes 3 months to heal properly..

If it is an infection could i use TCP to clear it up?
Pierced or gunned? What jewellery are you wearing? What are you cleaning it with? Do you sleep on that ear? Signs of infection are redness, swelling, heat, yellow/green pus, etc, so it's very unlikely it's infected if it's just a bit sore. Cartilage actually takes 6+ months to fully heal so I definitely wouldn't worry yet!
ibanezar200
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
Pierced or gunned? What jewellery are you wearing? What are you cleaning it with? Do you sleep on that ear? Signs of infection are redness, swelling, heat, yellow/green pus, etc, so it's very unlikely it's infected if it's just a bit sore. Cartilage actually takes 6+ months to fully heal so I definitely wouldn't worry yet!
I had it pierced with a needle and im wearing a loop. Clean it with saline solution twice a day.. still dont sleep on it yet. i think part of the edge of my ear just beneath the piercing might be slightly swollen not really sure though. Think ill take a visit back to the piercing place next week though,.. see if they can check it. Ive just read a lot of things about cartilage piercings getting infected and know a couple people who had to remove them because of it. Thanks for reply
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had it pierced with a needle and im wearing a loop. Clean it with saline solution twice a day.. still dont sleep on it yet. i think part of the edge of my ear just beneath the piercing might be slightly swollen not really sure though. Think ill take a visit back to the piercing place next week though,.. see if they can check it. Ive just read a lot of things about cartilage piercings getting infected and know a couple people who had to remove them because of it. Thanks for reply
I really wouldn't worry about it, it's perfectly normal for cartilage piercings to still be a bit sore for ages. Obviously there's nothing wrong with getting your piercer to have a look to put your mind at rest though! However, a ring isn't the best jewellery to heal with and might be irritating it more, so if you find yourself developing a bump (hypertrophic scarring) then go to your piercer and get it changed to a labret/barbell. Also, if a piercing is infected you shouldn't actually remove it anyway!
parasitic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had mine done years ago but only with a stud, it kept rubbing against the pillow and in the end got really sore and red that I ended up taking it out incase it was infected.

After a week I put the stud back in, it was a bit painful as it was begining to heal up and I had to push the stud through a few layers of new skin tissue. However after that my piercing healed up nicely. Maybe it just needed some time to 'get some fresh air'

However you are your own best judge, a visit to the piercer might help, but if it's infected you may still be able to repierce the hole later on once it has healed
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Want to see something disgusting?

Spoiler:
Show

OMG extreme bruising!
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)

Spoiler:
Show

OMG extreme bruising!
What the hell???
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)

Spoiler:
Show

OMG extreme bruising!
What the **** did your piercer do to you?! That's way more bruising than I've ever seen from any piercing! I thought my microdermals were pretty bad but they were barely noticeable compared to that :eek:
Flo[ProActiv]
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
You mean her septum?

Cause, erm, there ain't no cartilage in a standard nose piercing.. there's nothing wrong with changing it after 4 weeks (wouldn't recommend leaving it out for long though).
(Original post by Kate.)
Septum piercings shouldn't be through cartilage either. And nostril piercings are usually in the join between cartilage and fibro-fatty tissue, so might be partly through cartilage, but even if they're not it's still much thicker/harder than many piercings - it's hardly like a lobe piercing. They also take a lot longer than 4 weeks to heal so I'd never recommend changing jewellery that soon (even for lobe piercings 4 weeks is too soon IMO). My nostrils took almost a year before changing jewellery was actually comfortable and pain-free!
I stand corrected. I always assumed that the bit that nostril piercings go through was cartilage, since it seems much thicker than standard flesh. Shows how good my biology is >_<
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
What the **** did your piercer do to you?! That's way more bruising than I've ever seen from any piercing! I thought my microdermals were pretty bad but they were barely noticeable compared to that :eek:

(Original post by Trigger)
What the hell???
It's lovely, isn't it? It's a few days old - there wasn't much at first (cept it bled a bit) but then it's spread into that. It's why I went all the way to London for my fourcette. Even the one I did myself a few yeaars ago wasn't this bad.
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, new to the soc. I got my first tattoo, of a celtic dog motif, about a year and a half ago, and am currently throwing out ideas for my next tatt(s).
Nynyflower
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hullo Robin. We need pictures!

I got my rook pierced, but I didn't realise how hidden away it would be.
mimimimi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've recently got back into the idea of getting my other nostril pierced... In exactly the same place as the other side, and I'd wear the same jewellery in both sides so it'd be symmetrical. Do people think this looks good or silly? By the way, I wear such a tiny stud in my nose that often people don't even notice it, so it won't be like a face full of metal or anything.
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mimimimi)
I've recently got back into the idea of getting my other nostril pierced... In exactly the same place as the other side, and I'd wear the same jewellery in both sides so it'd be symmetrical. Do people think this looks good or silly? By the way, I wear such a tiny stud in my nose that often people don't even notice it, so it won't be like a face full of metal or anything.
I have both nostrils pierced (had mine done together though) and wear labret studs with 1.5mm ends. A lot of people at uni thought I only had one done for months because you don't actually see people completely straight on a lot of the time. I obviously think it looks good, heh - I'm actually not a fan of single nostril piercings and I hate only having one of mine in.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, my training has been going well recently!

So far I've done skin divers, tongue, eyebrow, ear lobe and navel

I just need to do one more skin diver, and then I can start charging for them Eeeep!
Nynyflower
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
Ah, my training has been going well recently!

So far I've done skin divers, tongue, eyebrow, ear lobe and navel

I just need to do one more skin diver, and then I can start charging for them Eeeep!
I've made you a deputy on the group!
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
I have both nostrils pierced (had mine done together though) and wear labret studs with 1.5mm ends. A lot of people at uni thought I only had one done for months because you don't actually see people completely straight on a lot of the time. I obviously think it looks good, heh - I'm actually not a fan of single nostril piercings and I hate only having one of mine in.
Ooh, cool! Right now in my nostril I just wear a little tiny silver nose stud... I'm not sure how big the ball of it is, but I think it may even be smaller than 1.5mm. It's really very small! Luckily I have a few of them, because I really like how tiny they are and I think two would look nice - I'm not really a fan of single nostril piercings either, but I had mine done when I was 14 so I don't think two would have been an option, especially not for my mother

I think I'm definitely going to get it done when I get back to England, but it'll be annoying at first because the studs won't match I may wear a retainer in the old one just whilst the other one heals or something... I'll keep you guys posted!
Nynyflower
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mimimimi)
Ooh, cool! Right now in my nostril I just wear a little tiny silver nose stud... I'm not sure how big the ball of it is, but I think it may even be smaller than 1.5mm. It's really very small! Luckily I have a few of them, because I really like how tiny they are and I think two would look nice - I'm not really a fan of single nostril piercings either, but I had mine done when I was 14 so I don't think two would have been an option, especially not for my mother

I think I'm definitely going to get it done when I get back to England, but it'll be annoying at first because the studs won't match I may wear a retainer in the old one just whilst the other one heals or something... I'll keep you guys posted!
You could always get the same stud as they put into the new piercing to wear in the old piercing, then you'd match!
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nynyflower)
You could always get the same stud as they put into the new piercing to wear in the old piercing, then you'd match!
Yeah, this is true, but I'd have to see what the studs were like first, I think! If they were both big-ish it'd look silly
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nynyflower)
I've made you a deputy on the group!
Oh awesome! Thankies. What do I do as a deputy? :ninjagirl: lol.
Nynyflower
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
Oh awesome! Thankies. What do I do as a deputy? :ninjagirl: lol.
Basically just accept people into the group who want to join, it's not very exciting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (60)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.47%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.79%

Watched Threads