Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibanezar200)
    I had a cartilage piercing done 6 months ago and had a ring in but it wouldnt heal properly so about 4 weeks ago i had it changed to a small barble stud thing. It was healing perfectly untill 2 weeks ago.. there was no soreness or redness.. then i left the piercing so that the front was touching my ear and the back was poking out slightly after i had cleaned it one night. (i had been wearing it so that the front was poking out and the back was touching the ear since i'd had it done.)
    Well the next morning i went to clean it and it was all messed up with some kind of yellowy mucus thing oozing out the front (the back looked fine though). The morning after it became worse.. a little mound of greyish goo around the front and the piercing was stuck wouldnt move. I forced it through to unstick it and a load of greyish goo came with it. well i continued to clean it twice a day and now the front of the piercing is looking a lot more healthy..
    However, recently the back of the piercing has been sticking and last night it began to bleed when i pushed it to unstick.. So i decided to once again leave the piercing so that the front was touching the ear.. and the back not touching. I hoped that this would let the wound on the back heal and obviously it would stop the piercing from sticking to the back again. So i went to clean it this morning and.. ****, more of this yellowish mucus thing but this time its coming out the back. Some of the skin around the back of the piercing has peeled away and the skin underneath is looking pretty red.. This yellow goo is all stuck to the back of the piercing too, difficult to get it off..

Well its pretty disgusting and i hope i didnt put anyone off their food or anything.. -.-

Ive been cleaning twice a day with just plain boiled water since i had the stud put in. Before that i had been cleaning twice a day with boiled water with a pinch of salt added.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could maybe give me some advice. Im beginning to think just taking the damn thing out is my best option now.

Thanks
    Please don't take the piercing out, if the skin closes over then you may be trapping infection which is bad. You need to do proper sea salt soaks (make sure its pure sea salt) add about 1/4 of a teaspoon to a mug of boiling water, leave to cool so you can just stand it, soak some cotton wool and hold it to the piercing. You want to do this 3 or even 4 times a day until it starts to look better.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I had a cartilage piercing done 6 months ago and had a ring in but it wouldnt heal properly so about 4 weeks ago i had it changed to a small barble stud thing. It was healing perfectly untill 2 weeks ago.. there was no soreness or redness.. then i left the piercing so that the front was touching my ear and the back was poking out slightly after i had cleaned it one night. (i had been wearing it so that the front was poking out and the back was touching the ear since i'd had it done.)
    Well the next morning i went to clean it and it was all messed up with some kind of yellowy mucus thing oozing out the front (the back looked fine though). The morning after it became worse.. a little mound of greyish goo around the front and the piercing was stuck wouldnt move. I forced it through to unstick it and a load of greyish goo came with it. well i continued to clean it twice a day and now the front of the piercing is looking a lot more healthy..
    However, recently the back of the piercing has been sticking and last night it began to bleed when i pushed it to unstick.. So i decided to once again leave the piercing so that the front was touching the ear.. and the back not touching. I hoped that this would let the wound on the back heal and obviously it would stop the piercing from sticking to the back again. So i went to clean it this morning and.. ****, more of this yellowish mucus thing but this time its coming out the back. Some of the skin around the back of the piercing has peeled away and the skin underneath is looking pretty red.. This yellow goo is all stuck to the back of the piercing too, difficult to get it off..

Well its pretty disgusting and i hope i didnt put anyone off their food or anything.. -.-

Ive been cleaning twice a day with just plain boiled water since i had the stud put in. Before that i had been cleaning twice a day with boiled water with a pinch of salt added.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could maybe give me some advice. Im beginning to think just taking the damn thing out is my best option now.

Thanks
    Go to a piercer and have the ring switched out for a bar if you can, rings are awful initial jewellery for piercings, especially cartilage piercings, as they place stress on the new holes and drag crap into them, as well as moving around quite a lot. Keep up the salt soaks, about 5-10 minutes twice a day, and see if that helps.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Salt stings, but it helps it heal better, I found.
    Salt doesn't sting if your solution is the correct dilution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Salt doesn't sting if your solution is the correct dilution
    I must just be crap at making salt solutions then :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    I must just be crap at making salt solutions then :P
    Like i said, 1/4 of a teaspoon in a cup of boiling water.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Like i said, 1/4 of a teaspoon in a cup of boiling water.
    I've always done 1tsp to 1pint water which would work out a bit stronger, but then it's also a bit hard to judge 1/4 tsp so yours might be a bit stronger than intended anyway. But you really don't want it as strong as some people try to make it

ReputationRep:
    Please don't take the piercing out, if the skin closes over then you may be trapping infection which is bad. You need to do proper sea salt soaks (make sure its pure sea salt) add about 1/4 of a teaspoon to a mug of boiling water, leave to cool so you can just stand it, soak some cotton wool and hold it to the piercing. You want to do this 3 or even 4 times a day until it starts to look better.

Hope this helps.
    Thx,

I think im just going to take the piercing out after the infection has gone. Do you think i could use an antisceptic like TCP on it?

ReputationRep:
    Thx,

I think im just going to take the piercing out after the infection has gone. Do you think i could use an antisceptic like TCP on it?
    NO!

Its far too harsh. I don't want to sound rude but you really should have done your research before and after you had it pierced. Just do what i have told you and you will be fine, its a bit of work but its your body and you need to respect it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I really want a rook and a tragus ear piercing

^ In this picture, what is the type of 'earring' for the rook, 'cos I've seen a few with hoops in and I prefer ones like this (I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say! :rolleyes: )

Also, for those who have had their rook/tragus done:

1. How much did it hurt?
    2. How much did it cost?
    3. How long does it take to heal?

Oh, and anything else you'd like to add feel free

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Nerd)
    Hi

^ In this picture, what is the type of 'earring' for the rook, 'cos I've seen a few with hoops in and I prefer ones like this (I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say! :rolleyes: )

1. How much did it hurt?
    2. How much did it cost?

Thank you
    It's a curved barbell, and good choice - barbells or labret studs are much better for healing than rings. You should avoid healing with rings in almost any piercing tbh - so get a labret stud in your tragus piercing!

I've had both rook & tragus done, both were £20-£25...it's been 7 years since the tragus and about 5 since the rook so I really can't remember much, heh. Pain was bearable, more like a lot of pressure than a sharp pain. Tragus took around 8 months to fully heal - expect 6-12 months for any cartilage (longer for industrial/orbital piercings). I retired the rook after about 3 months I think because it was done too shallow and started to reject unfortunately. Most people find all cartilage piercings are pretty similar when it comes to pain/healing though.

If you want them done on separate ears then space them out, leave a good few months in between. Especially if you sleep on your side. Having a fresh cartilage piercing both sides is generally a pretty awkward experience, heh. If you want them on the same ear then feel free to go for it and get them both at once, although your ear will probably be pretty swollen and red for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    It's a curved barbell, and good choice - barbells or labret studs are much better for healing than rings. You should avoid healing with rings in almost any piercing tbh - so get a labret stud in your tragus piercing!

I've had both rook & tragus done, both were £20-£25...it's been 7 years since the tragus and about 5 since the rook so I really can't remember much, heh. Pain was bearable, more like a lot of pressure than a sharp pain. Tragus took around 8 months to fully heal - expect 6-12 months for any cartilage (longer for industrial/orbital piercings). I retired the rook after about 3 months I think because it was done too shallow and started to reject unfortunately. Most people find all cartilage piercings are pretty similar when it comes to pain/healing though.

If you want them done on separate ears then space them out, leave a good few months in between. Especially if you sleep on your side. Having a fresh cartilage piercing both sides is generally a pretty awkward experience, heh. If you want them on the same ear then feel free to go for it and get them both at once, although your ear will probably be pretty swollen and red for a few days.
    Thanks for the advice I would like them both in the same ear - my right so I might get them done at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Nerd)
    Hi

1. How much did it hurt?
    2. How much did it cost?

Thank you
    That's a curved barbell and that is what your rook should be peirced with although should be quite a bit longer than the one in the picture to allow for swelling
    1. Barely felt it although I have very thin ears so ear peircings are pretty painless. Maybe a little pinch?
    2. I paid £25 for it though it completely depends. If you like a studio/peircer pay whatever they ask.
    3. It's nearly 2 years old and completely healed. Took about 6 or 7 months before I changed although it played up for another 2 or 3.

p.s I also have my tragus done and all the same answers apply, apart from a slightly shorter healing time maybe about 6 months till it stopped playing up. It was peirced with a straight barbell rather than a curved.

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if people could suggest peircing ideas for my ears? I currently have a rook (with a CBR) and a conch in my left ear and a snug, tragus (CBR) and lower helix (CBR) in my right and I want one more in my left. I was thinking daith but I don't think I have the correct anatomy or surface tragus although my skin is real thin around there and my peircer thinks it will come out really quickly although she did a friends surface tragus that looks amazing. Anyone got any info on surface tragus or other suggestions for my left ear? I can add pictures if helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clementinemary)
    Was just wondering if people could suggest peircing ideas for my ears? I currently have a rook (with a CBR) and a conch in my left ear and a snug, tragus (CBR) and lower helix (CBR) in my right and I want one more in my left. I was thinking daith but I don't think I have the correct anatomy or surface tragus although my skin is real thin around there and my peircer thinks it will come out really quickly although she did a friends surface tragus that looks amazing. Anyone got any info on surface tragus or other suggestions for my left ear? I can add pictures if helpful.
    Pics

Anti-tragus are always nice

What was your snug like to heal? I want one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon_juice)
    Pics

Anti-tragus are always nice

What was your snug like to heal? I want one
    left;
    right;

Anti tragi do look awesome but it seems it would interfere with my conch during healing when I'd be wearing a really long bar hmmm *strokes chin*

My snug is only a few days old but so far it's happy, can sleep on it now and the swelling is less obvious. I'm excited for it to heal but I always forget about the long long process of healing cartilage peircings after my super short and sweet experiences with my microdermal.

ReputationRep:
    NO!

Its far too harsh. I don't want to sound rude but you really should have done your research before and after you had it pierced. Just do what i have told you and you will be fine, its a bit of work but its your body and you need to respect it.
    The piercing has looked healthy again for about 1 week now but its still a little bit sore when i clean it. Do you think its safe to take it out now?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The piercing has looked healthy again for about 1 week now but its still a little bit sore when i clean it. Do you think its safe to take it out now?
    Thanks
    I cant really say because i can't see it, though if it is healing why take it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clementinemary)
    Anti tragi do look awesome but it seems it would interfere with my conch during healing when I'd be wearing a really long bar hmmm *strokes chin*
    get it on your snug ear! Would look much nicer

Also, is it just me, or does your rook look shallow in that pic?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please knock some sense into these people http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1785496
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am so getting my back microdermals soon *squee*

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.