Turn on thread page Beta

Bod Mod Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    questionnnnn

so I mentioned before that i wanted to get my collarbones pierced. I've been looking into it and trying to assess whether to get surface piercings or microdermals. I think I would rather get surface piercings but I've read the rejection rate is really like ridiculously high.

Does anybody here have any experience on the whole surface piercing vs microdermals argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSuggs)
    Can anybody recommend a good tattoo parlour in Manchester? I've had a look online but there are hundreds to choose from. Just looking for somewhere that's going to do a decent job; I don't mind paying slightly more as long as it is done properly!
    Already got my design sorted, just need a well-established tattooist to do the job now! Thanks
    I haven't got any personal experience (yet) but I've been recommended to try Sacred Art which is in Chorlton, just outside of Manchester City Centre.

www.sacredarttattoo.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    :hi: I do and I love it, probs my fav piercing tbh (or maybe my nose beats it...but still)

Yeah it's tricky to clean the back till the swelling starts to go down tbh, nowadays (7 months on) you can see both sides of the piercing at all times, but I know for the first while it was a *****. I just kinda cleaned as best as I could (sea salt soaks, tilting head and dropping water to run down into that area etc.) and it does get easier to clean, promise! Must have been 2 months after where I managed to have a really good clean!
    :hi: It is now my favourite piercing too, but maybe that's because it's new and the excitedness and wanting everyone to see it hasn't worn off yet.

It's only a tiny bit swollen, but I don't really want to go poking and prodding around the back of it in case it becomes irritated (and it's still quite sore at the moment). The only thing I'm worried about not cleaning it properly, is it getting infected. But I guess if I give it a good soak everyday then that's kind of cleaning it.
    That's good to know that it gets easier to clean
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by StartSomething)
    :hi: It is now my favourite piercing too, but maybe that's because it's new and the excitedness and wanting everyone to see it hasn't worn off yet.

It's only a tiny bit swollen, but I don't really want to go poking and prodding around the back of it in case it becomes irritated (and it's still quite sore at the moment). The only thing I'm worried about not cleaning it properly, is it getting infected. But I guess if I give it a good soak everyday then that's kind of cleaning it.
    That's good to know that it gets easier to clean
    I didn't think mine was swollen, until it stopped being swollen and then I was like "oh, that kind of was swollen to start with!", just keep persevering :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I didn't think mine was swollen, until it stopped being swollen and then I was like "oh, that kind of was swollen to start with!", just keep persevering :yep:
    Ahh I seee. Yeah I will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crowsy)
    questionnnnn

so I mentioned before that i wanted to get my collarbones pierced. I've been looking into it and trying to assess whether to get surface piercings or microdermals. I think I would rather get surface piercings but I've read the rejection rate is really like ridiculously high.

Does anybody here have any experience on the whole surface piercing vs microdermals argument?
    You don't have a good chance of keeping either of them long-term tbh, but I'd say generally microdermals will last longer.

I had 2 microdermals just under my collarbones (near the centre, so only a couple of inches apart) and they didn't last very long before I had to have them removed. They were pretty uncomfortable - I had to wear a bikini to shower sometimes, and sleep in a bra, otherwise the weight of my boobs pulling the skin down was really uncomfortable. The microdermals I had were also too long for my skin and they stuck out a bit and would catch on things like scarfs. Seatbelts were a pain, they nearly always rubbed directly over one of them. Also bags that went across my body.

Scarring around that area can be quite obvious, too. My scars were bright pink and raised for about 6-8 months, then gradually faded. After about 1-1.5 years they faded to a whiteish colour and weren't very noticeable. I can still feel them though, and I can see where they are (but no one else would notice them unless they knew they were there and they were looking for them). I think I had them done late 2007/early 2008 and removed in summer 2008.

Basically I wouldn't bother having anything like that again, it was totally not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    You don't have a good chance of keeping either of them long-term tbh, but I'd say generally microdermals will last longer.

I had 2 microdermals just under my collarbones (near the centre, so only a couple of inches apart) and they didn't last very long before I had to have them removed. They were pretty uncomfortable - I had to wear a bikini to shower sometimes, and sleep in a bra, otherwise the weight of my boobs pulling the skin down was really uncomfortable. The microdermals I had were also too long for my skin and they stuck out a bit and would catch on things like scarfs. Seatbelts were a pain, they nearly always rubbed directly over one of them. Also bags that went across my body.

Scarring around that area can be quite obvious, too. My scars were bright pink and raised for about 6-8 months, then gradually faded. After about 1-1.5 years they faded to a whiteish colour and weren't very noticeable. I can still feel them though, and I can see where they are (but no one else would notice them unless they knew they were there and they were looking for them). I think I had them done late 2007/early 2008 and removed in summer 2008.

Basically I wouldn't bother having anything like that again, it was totally not worth the hassle.
    I was going to go for these and i'm glad you've put me off. Would hate to waste my money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I was going to go for these and i'm glad you've put me off. Would hate to waste my money.
    Some people have pretty good success with them but unless you're prepared for a fairly good chance of irritation, migration and/or rejection then I really wouldn't bother. At the time it didn't bother me too much but now I'm a few years older I really can't be arsed with anything that causes that much hassle, haha. Glad I got all my piercings when I did, I can't really see myself getting any more now but I still love the ones I've kept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Some people have pretty good success with them but unless you're prepared for a fairly good chance of irritation, migration and/or rejection then I really wouldn't bother. At the time it didn't bother me too much but now I'm a few years older I really can't be arsed with anything that causes that much hassle, haha. Glad I got all my piercings when I did, I can't really see myself getting any more now but I still love the ones I've kept.
    I'm looking for something new, have my labret, nape and septum done at the moment but fancy something else. Drawing a blank atm.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    my dermals have been so well behaved. going to get some more as soon as darren opens his studio.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    Quick question - planning on getting my nipple pierced in 2 days. I have valium (prescribed to me by a Dr for panic attacks) and was wondering if taking one before getting a piercing would be beneficial? I'm a huge wimp and get so nervous, so i thought it may help! However, i wouldn't want the valium to 'counter-act' any adrenalin or endorphins my body may produce thus, making it hurt more.. Can anyone help or advise what would be the best thing to do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mmmwehh)
    Quick question - planning on getting my nipple pierced in 2 days. I have valium (prescribed to me by a Dr for panic attacks) and was wondering if taking one before getting a piercing would be beneficial? I'm a huge wimp and get so nervous, so i thought it may help! However, i wouldn't want the valium to 'counter-act' any adrenalin or endorphins my body may produce thus, making it hurt more.. Can anyone help or advise what would be the best thing to do?!
    It is not a good idea to be under the influence of anything when getting a mod, you need to be 100% so you are aware of whats going on etc. Best thing is to man up and have it done sober.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think paracetamol or ibuprofen would be better to take anyway

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    It is not a good idea to be under the influence of anything when getting a mod, you need to be 100% so you are aware of whats going on etc. Best thing is to man up and have it done sober.
    Thanks for the reply! Why do you say that? Out of interest?
    i know it's something I want because it's something I've been thinking about for a while. An I don't really think of valium as being 'under the influence', it just tends to calm me and stop me shaking!! But then again i haven't had many piercings and so am not clued up on what's the best way to go about these things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mmmwehh)
    Thanks for the reply! Why do you say that? Out of interest?
    i know it's something I want because it's something I've been thinking about for a while. An I don't really think of valium as being 'under the influence', it just tends to calm me and stop me shaking!! But then again i haven't had many piercings and so am not clued up on what's the best way to go about these things!
    Well you need to be with it to make sure you know where you want the piercing, to be with it enough to make sure the shop is clean and professional, to make sure you can communicate with the piercer and shop staff, that sort of thing. Obviously you know more about Valium than i do and someone else might disagree but thats my humble opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have experience of hip/pelvis (not sure how they're usually referred to, but hopefully you know what I mean) piercings? I really like how they look, but have gathered that surface piercings (would like bars, ideally) have a very high rejection rate, and that even if they don't reject within weeks they can only be expected to hang around for a few years; would prefer them to be more permanent. Maybe microdermals would have more longevity? Any input gratefully received

ReputationRep:
    Just got my septum pierced today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Just got my septum pierced today
    Awesome, was it sore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Awesome, was it sore?
    Bit sore but not as bad as I thought but then again I think after youve had so many piercings you get used to it

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of getting some more piercings when I get back from my year abroad, but I live in a fairly small city (Worcester) and don't know anyone else who is into piercings, so I have no idea how to go about researching a good place to get them done!

Also I have quite a few I want done, but I'm trying to 'work up' in terms of how painful they are going to be. What out of these would you recommend I start with? I want to get, eventually: forward helix (x3), tragus, helix (x2), tongue, nose, and labret.

Thanks

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.