Bod Mod Society Watch

didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
firstly... dont get your ears pierced with a piercing gun.... stupid thing to do... alwyas go to a proper piercing studio

secondly silver can irritate piercings, good quality titanium will not, but it doesn't appear that you have an irritation problem.

6 weeks should be enough time for them to heal, but even healed piecings can close up, although generally with ear piercings after you've had them a couple of months, they wont close up so quickly.

butterfly stud things, are crap ear jewellery, dirt can get trapped in the butterfly bit, infections etc etc can happen. unlikely though...

the "yellow waxy substance" is probably, what is most commonly reffered to as "ear cheese" and yes its normal, just clean your piercings, and it wont be a problem.

simple solution to ur problem... the weight of the hoops you wear will be adding to the healing time. changing jewellery will add to healing time, etc etc.. i personally recomend just stop changing your jewellery for a few more weeks, and make sure you clean your piercing regulary with saline solution... and if possible, but is probably overkill get yourself some nice internally threaded titanium barbells =]
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 02mik_e)
white substance=Puss mate= Infection
Take out the ear rings, disinfect the hole with the bottle they give you, clean the ear ring also with this disinfectant and put the eaar ring back in for another two weeks. If problems persist see a doctor.

Hope that helped

EDIT: Also keep twisting the ear ring 2-3 times a day.
My friedns ear on took 4 weeks to heal, it's different for everyone

for a start its yellow not white. and puss does not always=infection!

do not use the stuff in the bottle they give you, has lots of crap in thats really of no help at all, just use saline solution, either buy it from a chemists, or alternatively mix it yourself... http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Salt_Soaks

DO NOT TWIST the ring, even though you said you were wearing studs, but if you were wearing a 'ring' or circular barbell, you should definately not twist it, it just drags dirt etc into the piercing, and will prolong healing times
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got my ears peirced when I was 16 and I am now 20, and I have tended to sleep with earrings in overnight most of the time. Having empty ears for over 12 hours seems to make them close up ever so slightly, even now. Then again I am a freakishly good healer with too many white blood cells, so that would be why.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
for a start its yellow not white. and puss does not always=infection!

do not use the stuff in the bottle they give you, has lots of crap in thats really of no help at all, just use saline solution, either buy it from a chemists, or alternatively mix it yourself... http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Salt_Soaks

DO NOT TWIST the ring, even though you said you were wearing studs, but if you were wearing a 'ring' or circular barbell, you should definitely not twist it, it just drags dirt etc into the piercing, and will prolong healing times
Good advice - especially what you said earlier about using titanium instead of silver.

I've used rock salt to heal every piercing I've ever had (though table salt will work as well - I just used rock salt because I had it free through a piercer friend) and it's worked fine.

Just make sure you clean it regularly, OP. If it becomes very painful, or still doesn't improve at all after a few weeks, I'd pop in to see a piercer (a decent piercer, mind - not someone at Claire's - tbh it's the last place I'd consider getting pierced in the first place... ).
Magickal_Faerie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
DO NOT TWIST the ring, even though you said you were wearing studs, but if you were wearing a 'ring' or circular barbell, you should definitely not twist it, it just drags dirt etc into the piercing, and will prolong healing times
Good point, I have recently had my ear cartilage pierced with a ring, and i twisted it, so it produced quite a lot of pus. its only really just healed up, and i had it done about 12 weeks ago, twice the reccommended time for healing. i wouldnt want to change it yet tho, i left my first ear piercings in (bottom lobes) for twice the healing period, and they just didnt like healing properly.

Its different for different people and where you get them done i suppose.
Bevers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the advise. I don't think its infected, but thanks for the reassurance thats its normal for it to close up a bit overnight. I mean, my mums don't when she leaves them out for a night but shes had hers for 30+ years...

I keep them clean and everything, I'll just have to keep studs in overnight all the time
Inside
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you clean around the piercing properly you will not get puss in the first place.
Stray_talk
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Inside)
If you clean around the piercing properly you will not get puss in the first place.
That's not always the case, sometimes it's just a natural reaction to the piercing, I mean it's not natures way for us to have holes in ours ears, its just our body trying to protect us.

It's alright to twist skin piercings such as ear lobes but not advisiable to twist cartilidge piercings such as rims or the tragus simply because it's far more sensitive than an ear lobe.
You don't want to over clean either, that can irritate just as much as undercleaning and try not to touch them too much.
I'd wear studs too rather than hoops, simply because they're less likely to get caught on clothes etc and irritate the piercing
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really strongly suggest you get yourself down to a local piercer to get some proper jewellery for your lobes. The studs that come with a gun piercing are inadequate in length and don't allow for swelling.

Oh, and NEVER get pierced with a gun, ever again. ALWAYS needle pierce.
Magickal_Faerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was gun pierced bottom lobes, but had it done with a needle on cartilage rim. I nearly fainted as well, but i was determined to get it done, it took me 18 months to build up the courage to have it done with a needle, but i knew it wasnt safe with a gun in cartilage.

why not pierce lobes with a gun? :confused:
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) Piercing guns are predominantly made of plastic - this means they cannot be autoclaved (an autoclave is a machine that sterilises piercing equipment) and therefore they carry the risk of bloodborne disease such as HIV and Hepititis as they are not sterile. The stud may come out of a sterile packet, but what if there's body fluid from a past customer on the gun?

2) Piercing guns are based on a spring loaded mechanism. That, mixed with a blunt, inadequate stud and you can imagine what it does. The stud is shot through the skin, causing damage to the surrounding tissue and scar tissue is then more likely to form inside the piercing. Scar tissue can cause healing to be problematic and more lengthy.

3) Places that use piercing guns often use ill-trained people to use them; shop assistants at Claire's Accessories who have little knowledge of human anatomy or the problems associated with body piercing.

4) The jewellery supplied with piercing guns is of inferior quality and metal. Gold is NOT a suitable metal to use in a fresh piercing, and 'steel' can cause allergic reactions as it has a small nickel content.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why would gold be unsuitable? It's one of the most unreactive metals there is.

I had my ears pierced WITH the earrings themselves. Which I think were gold. (This was at Metal Morphosis inside Oxford Street Selfridges).
Magickal_Faerie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aye, I had mine done with 9 carat gold at a proper jewellers, with a gun. They were fine. However, I do have a low healing rate. So I'm not really able to comment properly.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zoecb)
Why would gold be unsuitable? It's one of the most unreactive metals there is.

I had my ears pierced WITH the earrings themselves. Which I think were gold. (This was at Metal Morphosis inside Oxford Street Selfridges).
I wouldn't say gold was utterly unsuitable (I had my first ever piercings done with gold, though that was about eight years ago), but piercings are more likely to be irritated by gold than they are by titanium, I believe.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well titanium is even more unreactive than gold, but gold is pretty damn unreactive. Just how picky can your ears be?
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Magickal_Faerie)
9 carat gold

exactly the problem with 'gold' jewellery unles its pure (24 Karats) then its an alloy, and so will of been mixed with other metals, which will irritate piercings etc etc...

and also golds sensity is 19.3 g cm-1 while titaniums is 4.5, meaning gold jewellery will be alot heavier than its titanium couterpart, putting extra stress on the piercing
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zoecb)
Well titanium is even more unreactive than gold, but gold is pretty damn unreactive. Just how picky can your ears be?
Well.. the gold worked alright for me - but that's probably because I seem to have a fairly robust immune system. I do know a few people who didn't react so well to gold, though - so they must indeed have picky ears!
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
spot the new addition
Attached files
Inside
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stray_talk)
That's not always the case, sometimes it's just a natural reaction to the piercing, I mean it's not natures way for us to have holes in ours ears, its just our body trying to protect us.
If there's infection, there will be pus. Pus = infection. So keep the piercing/s clean.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had my earring put in about a year and a quarter ago, and I've never taken it out, I used twist it like I was told too and I've never had any problems, which just goes to show you that it's different for everyone. Is yours in your lobe or cartilage?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise