Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    thats cool.. do they heal well then? or do they grow out?
    Anchors? I've never heard of them growing out in the same way as surface piercings.

The first one I had on my chest (with a solid back) healed well - I had it for six months or so - until an accident involving a watch strap occured and it got ripped out. I had another under my belly button which didn't work well at all. It never healed flush to the skin because it was on a slight curve anyway, and on a fleshy part so it was hard to push in, that also got ripped out...

They're really easy to heal though, just salt soaks like anything else and kind of massaging them back in for the first few weeks if they look like they're sticking out too much. My new one is doing nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslibby)
    Anchors? I've never heard of them growing out in the same way as surface piercings.

The first one I had on my chest (with a solid back) healed well - I had it for six months or so - until an accident involving a watch strap occured and it got ripped out. I had another under my belly button which didn't work well at all. It never healed flush to the skin because it was on a slight curve anyway, and on a fleshy part so it was hard to push in, that also got ripped out...

They're really easy to heal though, just salt soaks like anything else and kind of massaging them back in for the first few weeks if they look like they're sticking out too much. My new one is doing nicely
    I'm sleeping with little plasters over mine to try and keep them close to the skin. Did you find that in the first few days they got a bit of dried blood stuck under them? I'm worried that because they're sticking out because of that, they won't go back to being flush, heh. Can't seem to get it outtt.

They can/do reject like surface piercings btw, just a lot less chance of them doing so. I know a couple people on IAM and LJ who have had theirs reject. Mainly after a big knock or someone pulling them or something though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    I'm sleeping with little plasters over mine to try and keep them close to the skin. Did you find that in the first few days they got a bit of dried blood stuck under them? I'm worried that because they're sticking out because of that, they won't go back to being flush, heh. Can't seem to get it outtt.
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It didn't make any difference to my one which did heal nicely. Just keep pushing it in...

Little plasters are a good idea, why didn't I think of that :s

ReputationRep:
    ooooh kate they're so pretty!

and discombobulation.. pic!

LOL it's purple at the moment but yes, yes I shall, as soon as I buy a camera among all the other purchases I must make ... i seem to get pierced every time I go to town and I'm bored.

ReputationRep:
    a question to the knowledgeable people of bod mod:

i want to get my tragus pierced but dont think that having it pierced with a ring suits me very much. obviously once its healed i could change it, but is it possible to get it pierced with (correct terminology if this isnt the right word) a barbell?

a friend who has her tragus pierced said it was unlikely that the piercer would use one as apparently rings heal better but i dont really know a lot about piercings. looking on bme a lot of 'fresh' tragus pictures show barbell (i reaLLY dont think thats the right word)

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is wrong, any good piercer will offer a choice of barbell (yes, it's the right word!), labret stud or ring. Barbell or labret stud is best for healing as it moves around less than a ring and therefore there's less of a chance of irritation. Some people prefer labret studs as the flat back on the inside of your ear feels more comfortable - personally mine was pierced with a barbell as I prefer the look of that. Make sure you go to a good piercer, what area of the UK are you in? Lots of people on here will be able to recommend reputable places.

ReputationRep:
    cool, i'm glad i can get what i want, thats made me much more positive. i'm in newcastle. what is a realistic price?

ReputationRep:
    just did my third holes on my ears myself this evening, (well, holes in between my first and second holes, the gap was too big) which takes me up to lobes x 3 on each ear, and then my tongue. helix am getting tomorrow i hope - am i right in thinking they can put a BCR in straight away? Will that be more expensive? How much should i expect to pay???

ReputationRep:
    hope you did them sensibly! :p:

BCRs are generally cheaper than barbels... my local studio charges a tenner for what they call 'ear rim' piercings.. though 15-20 wouldn't be an unusual price. They are a bit awkward to heal in helix piercings though.. the curve on the ring and the fact that they move around can make them more painful and take longer to heal (mine took over a year). Id personally recommend a barbel, but they'll do it with a BCR if thats what you're after.

h-rach, i dont know of any places in Newcastle im afraid.. though expect it to cost 20-25 pounds.

some places do give student discount.. ask

ReputationRep:
    my BCR healed fine in my ear cartilage its alright now, and its been done bout 3 months. wouldn't leave it out for long though! Havent dared change it either

ReputationRep:
    hope you did them sensibly! :p:
    :yep: i hope i did them sensibly! could i get a normal helix piercing then put a BCR in it once it was healed????

ReputationRep:
    you can yeah.. but it may take a very long time! they have a tendancy to get hypertrophic scarring, in which case the first thing to do to treat it would be to change the ring to a barbel! I can wear rings in my helix and conch but only after each was done for a year..

if you really want it with a ring, its probably best to get it done with a ring straight away, at least then it wont have the added pressure when you change it.

ReputationRep:
    I posted a while ago about my belly piercing being a bit bloody and ikky. I have now figured out why. It keeps getting my hair stuck in it :/. I'm not sure how but hairs from my head fall into it and get stuck, then it goes all ikky until I take them out, then it gets better, then hairy again. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this happening? I thought of putting a big plaster over it for a bit but I'm not sure if it will help at all.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    putting a plaster on for how long? your piercing and skin has to breath,pluls plasters trap the germs in, so unless you're planning of either removing and replacing the plaster all the time or having the one plaster for the rest of your life, then that might not be the way to go.

if you're cleaning it twice a day and rinsing it properly after each shower you shouldn't be having that problem. so i'd suggest doing that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    putting a plaster on for how long? your piercing and skin has to breath,pluls plasters trap the germs in, so unless you're planning of either removing and replacing the plaster all the time or having the one plaster for the rest of your life, then that might not be the way to go.

if you're cleaning it twice a day and rinsing it properly after each shower you shouldn't be having that problem. so i'd suggest doing that first.
    I already clean it very well every time I have a shower, and cleaning it with other stuff doesn't help because my hair is apparently magic and can transport itself inside it with no warning. I was thinking of putting a plaster on it every day then removing it, cleaning it and putting another one back on. I would just do this until it got better then see if it stayed better. If the hair keeps ****ing it up then I would probably end up taking it out or dreading my hair again. I can't do the latter until I get a job though.

ReputationRep:
    That's the weirdest thing ever, haha. I've never heard of hairs getting trapped in a navel piercing regularly :| What jewellery do you have in it? With a barbell, wouldn't that be pretty hard? The balls kinda 'block' the exit holes.

My microdermals have bruised realllly badly. Eep. Remind me never to get transdermals or implants or anything more invasive :| I still can't get the dried blood out from one of them too, it just starts bleeding more, haha. That's the one that hurt less and didn't bleed during the procedure too...the one that made me swear at the piercer is doing fine. Pft.

ReputationRep:
    My hair gets into my navel piercings when i'm in the shower cos it falls out(lol) when i wash my hair - but it's never been a problem.

Getting another piercing today - anti-tragus on right ear. I also let my bf help me stretch the 2nd hole on my left ear today - from 1.6 to 2.5mm and by God did it hurt :s

ReputationRep:
    Stretching shouldn't hurt >.< Don't get people to help you, they can't feel what you can and they're more likely to push too far and tear your ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    That's the weirdest thing ever, haha. I've never heard of hairs getting trapped in a navel piercing regularly :| What jewellery do you have in it? With a barbell, wouldn't that be pretty hard? The balls kinda 'block' the exit holes.
    No, I do have a barbell in. As I said before, I have magic transporting hair. Would putting in a ring help? Part of the problem is the hair gets wrapped around the bar so it really hurts when I try to get it off. But if I leave it in there, it keeps getting more and more ikky

ReputationRep:
    got my helix done about 2h ago... they offered me same price for ring or barbell so got a ring put straight in. I LOVE IT. :rolleyes: just need to decide what i want next....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.