The Student Room Group

Nursing help.

Hello all.

New here. So a BIG hello to you all.

I am about to apply to my local uni for a adult nursing course. Is any one else doing one of these or have done one?

I want to get a better picture of what the time table is like.
I understand that every term you get a new one and it's depends on classes and what not.

But could any of you guys give me an idea of what your time tables are like please?

I also know that you get placements which are fitted to the people you have placements with.

:p:
hiya :smile: good luck with your application,

my timetable for this term is a bit like this:

week 1:
M: 10-4 (lectures)
T: 10-4 (lectures)
W: 10-4 (lectures)
T: 10-1 (seminar)
F: directed study (day off in other words!)

week 2:
M:10-4 (lectures)
T: 10-4 (seminars)
W: directed study
F: 10-4 (seminars)

week 3: reading week

week 4:
W: 10-4 (seminar + lecture)
F: 10-1 (seminar)

week 5:
T: 10-4 (lecture + seminar)
F: 10-1 (seminar)

followed by a reading week, 2 weeks annual leave, and then placement for 8 weeks

week 6:
T: 10-1 (lecture)
F: directed study

although i guess it probably depends on the uni you go to.
we used to get every friday off in the first year/first term. i miss those days :frown:
Reply 2
Wow, this thread was really useful, 10-4 would be a great timetable, would mean i could get p a little later each mornign and not be as tired. Can i just ask if the timetable for your first year was similar? (though obviously different uni's will vary the timetable)

Jo

xx
joeybee
Wow, this thread was really useful, 10-4 would be a great timetable, would mean i could get p a little later each mornign and not be as tired. Can i just ask if the timetable for your first year was similar? (though obviously different uni's will vary the timetable)

Jo

xx

yeah, the hours (10-4) were pretty much the same in the first year, but we got more days off, i mean they told us at the start that uni days are 9-5, but we've only ever started at 9 once, and we've never finished any later than 4.30.
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies. It's been helpful.
I was told that days are from 9-5pm too. And some times can go on to 6.30pm.

10-4pm would be fine but I understand that it's different for each uni and each course.

I was speaking to a mate who's on a different course at the same uni and he only does about 12 hours of classes at uni a week.

So does that mean being in a healtcare program that we're in uni classes more than most?
Hey,

Im off to UWE in sept too!

Yeah it is more, i think we are studying for 25 hrs over the week and when we are on placement we work 37.5 hrs per week. There is an open day for all healthcare programmes at UWE on Sat 18th march 10am - 4pm.
:smile:
Reply 6
At UCE Birmingham, the classes can start from 9am and the lastest you will be in uni is 9pm, although you dont actually spend 12 hours a day there, to start with though we only have to be in uni for two days a week.:eek: , I suppose it depends on the uni as to the times of classes.
Reply 7
hellokitty
Hey,

Im off to UWE in sept too!

Yeah it is more, i think we are studying for 25 hrs over the week and when we are on placement we work 37.5 hrs per week. There is an open day for all healthcare programmes at UWE on Sat 18th march 10am - 4pm.
:smile:

I should be going to that open day. :biggrin:
April C
So does that mean being in a healtcare program that we're in uni classes more than most?

yeah, pretty much. and we have less annual leave than other students.
Reply 9
hey im joining UCE birmingham, im just wondering what the timetable is like for the diploma in nursing is like cos as far as i understand its much different to the degree?
April C
Thank you for the replies. It's been helpful.
I was told that days are from 9-5pm too. And some times can go on to 6.30pm.

10-4pm would be fine but I understand that it's different for each uni and each course.

sometimes there's room for manouvere on this - the time tables get written by the timetalbe people and then sometiems groupsand lecturers get together and rewrite the time table a bit ( e.g. move lessons round to fill 'gaps' in other days to get half day or even full day of 'study' time )

some unis run their working day from 0800 -1900 but limit the spread of times within one day you can be in ( e.g. can't be in for more than 7 or 8 hours on any one day e.g. 0800- 1600 , 0900 1700, 1000 -1800)

I was speaking to a mate who's on a different course at the same uni and he only does about 12 hours of classes at uni a week.

yep when you are in you may well foind yourself in for 4 full days in a wekk and some weeks every day - there's a lot of taught material to be delivered

Latest