GCSE Maths Statistics or OCR ICT Level 2 First Certificate? Help!

Watch
Scarle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello, so over this week I need to make my gsce options, due to the way my school have set the options out, I have to choose out of Media Studies, Maths Statistics, and OCR ICT Level 2 First Certificate. I am extremely unsure which one to choose out of maths stats, and ict.

I am in year 9, I am currently achieving level 8A's in maths, which is apparently equivalent to A*, and I can do a lot of A* questions, such as completing the square etc. Maths is one of my strongest subjects and I love it, and the statistics teacher at my school is very good, last year 88% of the class got A/A*s, and I really want to get good gsce results, so maths stats sounds like a good option.

However, since a young age I have loved using computers, and I understand alot of the programming behind it. When I was in primary school I had to show the ict teacher what to do, as using computers, and ict skills just came naturally to me.
I really enjoy ict.

Therefor I have a dilema, I can only choose one out of the two. I am not really sure what career I want when I am older, I just know it will probably be an academic one. I am aware that ICT is used in many jobs, so it would probably make me more employable. is a level 2 certificate in ICT a respected qualification, or does it not really compare to gcse ( which my school aren't offering). I am also taking buisness studies, so either ict or stats would help.

Which one would be more useful to me? Which one should I take? I am so confused argghh
-Simon-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take Maths Statistics.
Kalapatato
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maths statistics would be a better GCSE to have and it sounds like you can get a good grade in it.
MMale
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

I chose OCR Nationals Level 2 IT, and although I'm on my way to achieve four Distinctions, I wish I'd picked something more challenging. Nationals don't teach you anything about computer programming, more about how to use the programs. I've completed Units 1, 13 and 3, and to be honest the only unit I enjoyed was Unit 3. Unit 1 was extremely long and boring, I had completed most of it in Year 9. The teacher who taught us knew so little she managed to have the other teachers award the whole of the year a fail or incomplete. Obviously, these weren't submitted otherwise no-one would get the certificate, but the Entry Level and Level 2 classes have been forced to work hard because of the teacher's incompetence.

Unit 13 was slightly better but it had to be very precise and was pretty irritating. Unit 3 was OK but still not challenging. What I suggest is, if you enjoy ICT, to develop it as a hobby (presuming that their aren't any Computing or Computer Science courses at your school) and learn languages such as PHP, Lua or Java, then find a college which has A Level Computing courses, which focus more on the coding.

An NC Level 8a in Maths is outstanding, and I can only presume if you continue working at that level of attainment at school you'll achieve an A* or close to an A* in your GCSEs. I would strongly suggest you take Maths Stats as that'd be a lot more challenging than IT and would help you a lot more in further life. Programming is also dependent on Maths, and languages such as SQL and SAS would require a good knowledge of statistics.

But either way, in answer to your question on how recognised the Nationals are, is that in theory 3 units equates to 1 GCSE, 5 equates to 2, 7 equates to 3 and 9 equates to 4 GCSEs. I can't really see employers looking at Nationals over Maths Stats though.

But yeah, good luck!
Scarle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I made this post 2 years ago and I thought I'd add a little update for anyone who may be unsure about whether to take either of these...

I went with maths statistics in the end and I got 100% in the exam and got an A*, my love for maths made it a pretty easy gcse so if you're good at maths I think you should definetly take stats as it's an easy good grade which you don't have to put too much work into
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.07%
Excited but a bit nervous (131)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.41%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.34%

Watched Threads