The Student Room Group

Placement offer - Total or Unilever?

Hey guys, Im a chemical engineering undergraduate, and have luckily been offered 2 undergraduate placements at Total Lindsey oil refinery and Unilever and cant choose!

Now Unilever seems like i will be learning everything I need to know, but in a really chilled and calm environment, with great managers. Salary 17k

Total seems like a more professional place, but the colleagues seem really cool too though. Salary 18.5k

I would like to work in oil and gas when im older, however that isnt essential. And I would like to work in london when Im older, but again, that isnt essential. (however they both cant be achieved as most oil and gas places arent in london!)

Which would you recommend to get the best for my future and why?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by ajgaj
Hey guys, Im a chemical engineering undergraduate, and have luckily been offered 2 undergraduate placements at Total Lindsey oil refinery and Unilever and cant choose!

Now Unilever seems like i will be learning everything I need to know, but in a really chilled and calm environment, with great managers. Salary 17k

Total seems like a more professional place, but the colleagues seem really cool too though. Salary 18.5k

I would like to work in oil and gas when im older, however that isnt essential. And I would like to work in london when Im older, but again, that isnt essential. (however they both cant be achieved as most oil and gas places arent in london!)

Which would you recommend to get the best for my future and why?

Thanks in advance!

I would definitely recommend Total if you want to work in oil & gas in the future.

I'm not sure about their downstream operations but I know several people who work in their upstream operations and they all like it and would recommend.
Reply 2
hmm, but then i wouldnt mind FMCGs either..and unilever is a great leader in that area. plus I could work in london with unilever. Do you have any idea of graduate salary for total? Ive looked all over the internet but cant find anything!
I'd imagine they'd be competitive with their rivals so between 35-40K, rising fast, especially if you get to work offshore.
Reply 4
hmm i was hoping so, although their placement is alot less than their rivals. BP and exxon are around 24k, total is 18.5! cant compain though. thanks alot mate!

Quick Reply

Latest