The Student Room Group

Could a unified University of London challenge Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tsunami2011

LSE fares terribly in international ranking, so your point only stands for UCL and Imperial.

It doesn't in the social science rankings, which I believe is the point.

Original post by Tsunami2011
Since when did Imperial do History :tongue:

That table doesn't say they do offer degrees in history, it only says that Imperial have a small number of research staff who were submitted to the History RAE.

Original post by Harry S Truman
So what? I'm sure the University of Crap Studies in Wyoming is well regarded for its BSci in Faecesology, but nobody cares about those rinky dink subjects.

Yeah, that's why many of our leading universities (including Oxford and Cambridge) have an interest in (departments for) education and public health....
Reply 61
There are more constituent colleges in the University of London than just UCL and LSE.

.... By the way Imperial are no longer part of the University of London..... its been that way for quite some time
Reply 62
No, a unified University of London cannot challenge Oxbridge.

That's because in the eyes of the media (who are responsible for feeding crap info to the public), a degree in burger eating from Oxbridge is considered better and will attract more publicity than an astrophysics degree from the third ranked uni in the UK, whatever the third ranked uni may be because again, the media doesn't give a s*** if it's not Oxbridge (for the UK) or Harvard / Yale (for the US).
Reply 63
Well, I feel if we rate based on a merger, we would arrive at uni-london(imperial included) as first, with cambridge-masacheusets and oxbridge tying for second place and maybe uni-carlifonia system as 4th. It just seems realistic that way .
This would shake up the whole British higher education system. Crazy that Imperial and UCL were actually planning on merging 15 years ago!

Also, apologies for reviving a semi-old thread - I just find this whole idea so interesting and I'd love to hear some more views on it!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by warmday
No, a unified University of London cannot challenge Oxbridge.

That's because in the eyes of the media (who are responsible for feeding crap info to the public), a degree in burger eating from Oxbridge is considered better and will attract more publicity than an astrophysics degree from the third ranked uni in the UK, whatever the third ranked uni may be because again, the media doesn't give a s*** if it's not Oxbridge (for the UK) or Harvard / Yale (for the US).

Given the 600+ years of history Oxbridge have on every other institution (in England, at least), I wonder what it would actually take for another university to enter a similar space in public opinion...
Original post by Retrodiction
This would shake up the whole British higher education system. Crazy that Imperial and UCL were actually planning on merging 15 years ago!

Also, apologies for reviving a semi-old thread - I just find this whole idea so interesting and I'd love to hear some more views on it!

Agree. If they did merge it’s gonna be spectacular, the news will spread out to the entire country and internationally. I also believe that they’ll get that ‘instant prestige’ from the global communities.

PS. But I don’t think ‘Uni of London’ is a good name for branding/marketing purposes, any other ideas? :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending