The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Yin: Ooh, the combination of the hot fudge sauce and cold ice cream is just perfect, even the name of a hot fudge sundae sounds good. Can't go wrong.

Yang: If they put a cherry on top. :frown:

Yin and yang of...jam doughnuts.
Reply 461
YIN: INDULGE ALERT. It certainly doesn't leave you wondering if you've just satisfied your sweet tooth. Sugar coated and sweet jammy centre, tasty stuff. Much better than custard or apple fillings, and a perfect kids 'lunchtime dessert' when I was younger to make us all shut up.

YANG: STICKY FINGAS. JAM DOWN MA TOP. SUGAR IN MA HAIR. Ah, I'm a right old stale now. Shoulda stuck to the mini ones, or ring doughtnuts. Or just a cookie, yeah, next time I'll have a cookie.

YIN AND YANG OF: JELLY CUBES (THE STUFF WITH SUGAR STILL IN)
Reply 462
YIN: You get to choose the level of dilution; love your jelly ROCKARRRD? Fair enough! Want vodka in it? JELLY CUBES ARE THE ALKY'S PAL.Also, let's face it.. They're awesome to eat as is. Raw. DON'T JUDGE ME.

YANG: Constantly, impatiently prodding the sod as it sets in the fridge. STILL NOT SET. URGH. Also, realising all too late its for a kid's party and you've used the novelty Ann Summers jelly mould.

YIN AND YANG OF TINNED CURRY?
Reply 463
ok, I'll change to YIN AND YANG OF...

MULTIPACK CRISPS?
Reply 464
AHA. Ann Summers mold. You're so in charge of the jelly for my next party.

Yin: oh my what a variety, how delightful! What flavour do I feel like today? The choice! Plus, they're usually better value and that's always a joy. Hooray for bulk buying!

Yang: damn it, it's only the cheese and onion left! Pffft. Great. No crisps for me. What's that mum, you're not buying any more till they're all gone? Fannnnntastic. That, or you've bought walkers, and discover at least 2 of the bags contain absolutely nothing! And you thought the single bags were a joke amount...

Yin and yang of Chocolate Fudge Brownie Dessert
Reply 465
YIN: Like chocolate? Like chocolate so much you want to see chocolate in that coma it'll induce, followed by choco-diabetes? THEN ROLL UP!! It's a mixture of textures, from the soft chocolate custard to the cakey, fudgey brownie, and soft moussey chocolate cream. It also feels like a DAMNED REAL PUDDING. SORBET, GEE TEE EFF.

YANG: Want a variation in flavours, too? Erm, well... sorry, flavour generator is stuck on "Chocolate chocolate with chocolate and a choco loco rocolate." It's not a pudding to follow a filling meal; more like "thank Christ I ordered that single fillet of Hake atop the green beans for main course because this thing for pudding is going to be an EVENT." Losing a foot to choco-diabetes and the choco-light flashing before your eyes, where you see choco-God.

YIN AND YANG OF POLO MINTS?
Reply 466
YIN: Quick mint refreshment. Tasty too, and there's a large variety to choose from. Almost too large.. Do I go green or blue?! The fruity ones are also a good fruity flavour fix.

Yang: Some varieties are a bit 'what the hell were you thinking' (cinnamon for instance), and don't even get me started on the marketing spin that was the bag of TINY mints pretending to be the 'middle' of the polos. Also, they aren't really a sweet satisfier, I wouldn't go into a store and choose them as my sweety fix.

YIN AND YANG OF: BEEF OVER CHICKEN
Reply 467
YIN: HELLO FLAVOUR! I chicken was a flavour BB gun, beef would be a BLUNDERBUSS! With beef, you know rare means juicy, not FOOD POISONING. Plus, I need the MAN POINTS.

YANG: Chicken's subtle makes at a better vehicle for appreciating coatings and sauces. The inevitable fussy bugger who doesn't eat red meat. Making Colonel Sanders cry.

YIN AND YANG OF MCNUGGETS
Reply 468
YIN: McNuggets RULE. Fact. It's still my favourite thing to get at Mcd's, even if I am now 20. I'd still get the Happy Meal if I could without the looks! Screw it, even with the looks! They have that lovely crispy outside and a soft tender chickeny inside, perfect for eating plain or dunking. BBQ Sauce or Tomato Sauce; but which to choose?! Plus, they aren't actually insanely calorific and that ain't a negative now izit.

YANG: 5 nuggets later and I'm fairly sure I could go for another 5. Or 10. I love them wayyy too much. They can also be a tad plain if you're not a chicken fan, and often people are like 'Nahhh, bro, I'm having a BIG MAC coz I'm a BIG MAN, you get mehhhh?'. Well screw you guys, I'm having nuggets and that's final.

YIN AND YANG OF BURGER KING FUSIONS
Reply 469
YIN: Burger King's ice cream is WAAAY creamier than McDonald's. Their "creations" are actual creations; shortcake, caramel sauce and chocolate makes a damned good attempt at Millionaires Shortbread ice cream!

YANG: I live far from BK, so if im in the joyous proximity of one, I have far more coveted items id order before an ice cream. ALSO MONEYS. BK, and God help you if it's a service station/airport BK, is like, "Burger? That'll be ONE FABERGE EGG AND FIFTY PENCE PLEASE."

YIN AND YANG OF... A DINNER WITHOUT CUTLERY?
Yin: Most of the best foods are finger foods. Pizza, ribs. Down and dirty dishes! You get that guilty joy of licking the flavour off your fingers at the end. And there's less washing up.

Yang: steak? Yeah, try that one! A knife/fork is needed to cut your food up at times. Also, it's a bit more civilized.

yin and yang of FLATBREADS
Reply 471
YIN: None of this THICK bread/dough nonsense meaning you can't even taste the topping. It's light and tasty, and crispy if they do it right, while still being soft in the middle. It's all about crispy edges and soft centres, and done right, it's perfect. Plus, they usually have new and different topping in restaurants, in comparison to pizza which is same old same old.

YANG: Often more expensive, and they can ruin it easily.

YIN AND YANG OF HALF BAKED BAGUETTES?
Reply 472
Do you mean traditional, and not these recent "pretending to be a flatbread" crackers Jacobs have out? :P

If so:

YIN: Look at me being all exotic! You have a boring sandwich; im too fancy to even have a WRAP. I'm having a falafel and couscous FLATBREAD. They're super-filling too!

YANG: The nutritional equivalent of just under three slices of regular bread! Plus it's a lot of stodge. A LOT. Also, the name. Whatre they playing at? MOST bread is flat. DOI.

YIN AND YANG OF... PRETZEL FLIPZ
Reply 473
Awk, just disregard mine, I typed all that out on my mobile too.
Reply 474
Just because we all know the mobile typing pain...

YIN: Pretzel flips come in a wide variety, not just plain chocolate like the ones you get in M&S. And they taste amazing. Chocolate, salt and crunchy pretzel. yes perlease. The balance is just right, they manage not to have too much chocolate, crunch or salt. Bravo Pretzel Flipz, bravo.

YANG: It's not about the price tagggg as Jessie J would say, but it is. And damnnnn these are expensive. M&S is pricey, but these are a whole nother level. Did they fly first class or something?

YIN AND YANG OF HALF BAKED BAGUETTES?
Reply 475
YIN: WHY YES! I did just bake this myself! *snort*. You get to fill the house with baked bread sniffage, too. They're also very affordable and stored easily!

YANG: What did you use for the dough, Tommy? Oh, er.. I.. *stuffs Tesco packet into bin*... Ulp. it's too tempting to eat the half-baked, chewy form (for me), as overcooking turns them into BRITTLE GIANT BREADSTICK BULLETS.

YIN AND YANG OF... DAIRYLEA DUNKERS WITH NACHOS
Reply 476
YIN: It's different to breadsticks, and hey, I like nachos, so dairylea goodness and nachos is a pretty good combo right? You can't beat a good bit of dunking, and nachos are e perfect shape for scooping pleasure.

YANG: Breadsticks and cheese is definitely a pair meant to be. Nachos and dairylea? Maybe not...I'm just, not a fan. There's something about breadsticks and being able to chomp on those crunchy sticks which is jus plain fun, and you miss out with the Nachos.

YIN AND YANG OF BONBONS?
Reply 477
YIN: They blindside you; looks like hard candy, then WOW IT TURNED CHEWY! Bonbons are, because of their floury exterior, a sweet that gets tastier as you suck it, and the coating reveals the sweet fruity flavours. Plus if you say their name whilst you eat one it sounds like "Bum Bomb". Heehee.

YANG: GRR. I WORE BLACK JEANS. NOW I look like I've just escaped from a crack den! Plus, the chew factor isn't helpful yo pick and mix weight restrictions; if im going to take heavier, bag-fillingier sweets they'd better not be ones I just CHEWSWALLO-ALLDONE!! Scots require some longevity out of heavier, pricier confections!

YIN AND YANG OF EMPIRE BISCUIT
Yin: I like a biscuit with a bit of a history! Them biscuits are really nice, sweet and soft enough. The jam in the middle stops them being too dry. I dunno what goes into the biscuit but my fav mr kipling are whirls and they remind me of this taste.

Yang: some are really naff, with like a kids jelly sweet atop? Takes away from the grandness of the biscuit! Plus, I hate icing. DONT ICE ME BISCUITS. EVER.

yin and yang of Cadbury chocolate pretzels
Reply 479
I SO want to copypaste Dani's response from three posts ago for "Pretzel Flipz" but add... "also it's Cadbury!"

Can I?

Quick Reply

Latest