This discussion is closed.
telekenetic
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I was woundering if any one had any tips on revision for Psychology as i'm just readsing the AQA revision guide but the info is not stickin! The exam is in a weeks time!
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hello

I'm having the same problem at the mo. There is so much info to remember and so little space in my memory for it. So I am just about to go and do some practice questions on the info. Just small ones at first and then the larger essay questions later. It is easier to remember things when you elaborate on them or are able to connect the info to yourself. So you can start to answer questions on the things as practice and a way of elaborating on the info you want to remember or you could think of ways that the info is related to you. For example one of my topics is memory, so I would connect the info needed by saying something like "the STM is limited so the info I want to remember cannot all fit into my STM. So I have to fit it into the LTM through rehearsal. Brown and Peterson - primary and recency effect - I will remember things at the beginning of a revision list and at the end of the list better than the stuff in the middle." Hope that kind of helps. Try to elaborate on the info and use self-reference.

Helen Brownsell
jo123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi helen, you appear quite confident, can u share that with me! fro some reason i keep on getting these buterflies in my stomach, and they won't go away, help me on this, i alos have a psychology exam, and i have no idea on how i am going to pass.
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
Hello

Different people revise in different ways. Sometimes it just depends whether you are better at remembering visual or acoustic stuff. I normally write up a set of notes (basics, not too complex) and then try to recall as much as I can. I then look over what I have missed and try it again after a delay. You can then see what types of things you know and what you dont know. Then when it comes to writing the essay questions in your exam, you can write down these basic notes before hand.

There is also the possibility of making diagrams, such as spider diagrams. This is helpful is you are better at remembering information visually. This can take a lot of time though. I prefer to do this as I go along through the semester so after each lecture I make a basic diagram of the info learned. Maybe you could think about doing this next year, if you think it would help.

Some people seem to be better at remembering things acoustically so you could try reading the outs out aloud or putting it on tape and listening to it (but not doing the listening to notes whilst sleeping thing. I doubt that really works).

Our lecturers always say if you have a variety of ways of learning then you'll do better. Dont just do the same thing over and over again. Try to recall notes, read them out aloud and do diagrams of them. By doing this, you elaborate on the info and you should be able to remember it all.

At the moment, I am revising. I have spider diagrams that I did throughout the semester, read the summaries in my textbooks, have notes which I try to recall (i do this task more than the others as it seems that I am better at it) and complete practice questions (if you look at the link for a psychology website in Forum guidelines and useful links, there are several practice questions there. Some are multiple choice which are good at getting you started and others are more complex questions).

I also got some advice from my psychology teacher for a-level. She said that before every exam, when you are sitting in the exam hall, rather than chatting or worrying, try to sit their calmly and go through your notes. By doing this you should be able to bring some of the info from your LTM to your STM. She also suggested writing down the odd spider diagrams of the main topic, before you even looked at the paper. I didnt do this myself as I am too much of a panicker but if you can manage it, it might be useful.

Although I have given you advice, remember that there are different ways from what I have suggested and every person has a way of revising which is suitable from themselves. If you try something and it isn't helping, dont carry on. There is no point as it obviously isnt right for you. Good luck! I hope I have helped a bit.

Helen Brownsell
jo123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah that is great i might try that next year, so are you ready for your exams yet, i'm still panking, but i think everybody is!
thanks for your help, my message isn't as long as your, and i feel a bit guilty!
take care and good luck, i'm sure that you won't need it though!
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
Hello

I'm panicking too. My exams are a couple of weeks away. I have a DEAR II exam (statistics), a theory and exploration II exam (Biological, sensation and perception, and cognitive psychology) and a counselling exam. Hopefully they wont be too bad but it is much harder this semester than it was last semester. Last semester was more of an intro into psychology at uni and I had covered most of the stuff at A-level anyway but this time round its all new and complicated, especially with things like biological psychology. Im trying my best to stay calm and focused. Often getting to worked up about exams and studying too much, can put you at a disadvantage from the others. I used to be exhausted after my exams had finished due to the amount of time I spent revising and amount of worrying I did. Even after the exams, I would panic and think I had messed up. Im trying not too do that this time round. When my brain says its time to stop revising then its time to stop revising. Try to do the same. Worrying will get you no where. Good luck!

Helen Brownsell
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.36%
No (596)
65.64%

Watched Threads