Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey you all!

I'm really worried to find out that according to most of the postings here, the GCSEs make a hell of a difference when applying to a good Uni. But the problem with me is that I come from Bulgaria and I've done my GCSE equivalents there. They are all 12 A*'s. Here, I've just done the GCSE Maths Intermediate with a grade B. Do you think I shall be experiencing problems with that? (Oh, please say no :-((..)

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Just needed to mention, here now I'm doing 5 A-levels with predicted grades all A's and one B. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got 12 GCSE equivalents (ie. they are considered by universities to be equivalent) all at A* I definitely don't think you have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I guess in that case I'd have to contact the universities.

Thanks

(Original post by Kiril)
    Hey you all!

I'm really worried to find out that according to most of the postings here, the GCSEs make a hell of a difference when applying to a good Uni. But the problem with me is that I come from Bulgaria and I've done my GCSE equivalents there. They are all 12 A*'s. Here, I've just done the GCSE Maths Intermediate with a grade B. Do you think I shall be experiencing problems with that? (Oh, please say no :-((..)

Regards.
    I have a rediculous amount of B's at GCSE (very few A's) which if you listen some people on this board means that I should have had no chance at getting offers from any higher education institution. To disprove them (or show that uni's make huge mistakes), I have had offers from several very respected uni's and have hence proven that GCSE's don't dominate admissions tutors thinking too much. I think that if can work to the level that you are for your A-Levels and present uni's with a good personal statement and reference, you should have no problems in getting offers!!! Don't really know why your worried wiht thougse grades though!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not what I'd define as worried, but I've seen in other posts that people ask other people who got offers what their GCSE grades where, which makes me think that GCSEs do make difference. However, I hope this won't be so.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    I'm not what I'd define as worried, but I've seen in other posts that people ask other people who got offers what their GCSE grades where, which makes me think that GCSEs do make difference. However, I hope this won't be so.

Regards.
    I hope so too! I got 7A*s and 2 As for GCSE...but I couldn't take any more than 9 because our school made us take a GNVQ. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who have offers without any GCSE's. Whoever is in charge of 'UCAS stuff' in your school will just have to mention your academic record in your reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I know plenty of people who have offers without any GCSE's. Whoever is in charge of 'UCAS stuff' in your school will just have to mention your academic record in your reference.
    I think this forum is a bit dilluded about grades, the perception about the grades for people who apply to oxbridge is quite over rated.

The average, overall, is about 3A* and 7A's per applicant, on average.

For medicine, probably the hardest and most competitive course where grades really have to be higher than normal, the average is 5/6A*'s and 4/5 A's....

Those who get 10A*'s are absolutely exceptional.

Don't forget, those who come from a state school aren't "disadvantaged" as much as private school candidates if GCSE Grades are a bit dodgy, because it is harder to get those grades generally from a state school.

So if you are from a state school, don't forget that, a lot of those who get straight A*'s are from private schools where it would be easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I think this forum is a bit dilluded about grades, the perception about the grades for people who apply to oxbridge is quite over rated.

The average, overall, is about 3A* and 7A's per applicant, on average.

For medicine, probably the hardest and most competitive course where grades really have to be higher than normal, the average is 5/6A*'s and 4/5 A's....

Those who get 10A*'s are absolutely exceptional.

Don't forget, those who come from a state school aren't "disadvantaged" as much as private school candidates if GCSE Grades are a bit dodgy, because it is harder to get those grades generally from a state school.

So if you are from a state school, don't forget that, a lot of those who get straight A*'s are from private schools where it would be easier.
    Exactly. Some people feel like a failure if they don't get all A*s. I wish I had 12!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, they will be looking more at your academic potential in interviews and in your personal statement, where they can get to know you more as a person than a set of statistics.

I know someone at school who got all A's and A*'s for their GCSE's and yet they have very little general knowledge and know little outside what they have been taught at school. Within the classroom and the curriculum, this person is a very bright student, yet outside it (i.e: in intellectual discussion, etc) this person would be lost. Heck, they do English lit for A level and the last book they read was years ago and they say "I'm not a big reader." I remember recommending '1984' to them when I was 15 and they spurned it, instead opting for a Judy Blume book!

Ergo: A's do not necessarily dictate intelligence. Sorry for going off at a tangent there...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.