?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
bump
glance
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had Scoliosis, and had an operation that involved spinal fusion. I had the operation at the end of November during my AS year, and didn't even feel like returning to school for over two months. I would really advise against taking your GCSEs in 2 months. You'll find that you get tired really easily, and it's impossible to concentrate.

I have a feeling that the late exam sitter dates are in November, but I'm not sure of the exact dates.
stud1_89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
ok guys i just found out my GCSES start end of may and carry on through june.
This gives me a bit more time, but say if i do my OP in march (next month), and even if i recover fast ill still only have a couple of weeks left before having to sit my exam,That means ill bearly get any revision.....which really sucks as im a predicted A student.

Im going to speak to my teachers on monday and see waht can be done.

Unfortnatley i really cant wait till june to do my Op, my condition is as bad as it can possibly get, and teh pain is really bad.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
actually in theory the november exams are easier... because you'll be taking them with people who failed first time round... so unless everyones made a considerable improvement the boundarys will be slightly lower... [what we got told cause we all took GCSE english lan in nov a few years back]

exam board consideration is really really not great... my teacher's last school, a girls parents had died a week before in a car crash, and she got 3-5 marks per exam more...
stud1_89
Rep:
?
These exam boards sound harsh....i got OCR and EDEXCEL for subjects.

Do you think ill have to present my case directley to them, or my school would listen to me and then negotiate with the exam boards?

And i just realised, theres still Syllabus material we have to cover in triple science....im in a total mess......
glance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're school is anything mine, you'll remind them numerous times to contact the exam boards before you sit the exam...and then they'll forget, and pass the blame to different departments.
stud1_89
Rep:
?
hi guys, having mine soon

jus wanna know of any1 else whos had it, and how it was etc.

thanks
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My dad has had a couple of spinal fusions. Basing it off of his most recent one (which was to replace the degrading fusion that he'd already had), the recovery time varies depending on which part of the spine you're having worked on.

Is your fusion going to be cervical, lumbar, or thoracic?
stud1_89
Rep:
?
Lumber
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lumbar fusions generally take longer to recover from than cervical (what my dad had), and even after recovery, it will probably still take a while for you to adjust your mobility.

A lot of people who have had fusions do swimming as therapy when they're cleared for physical exercise. It seems to help a lot of people recover faster, and most of the people I know of who did that had fewer complications with their fusions down the road.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stud1_89)
hi guys, having mine soon

jus wanna know of any1 else whos had it, and how it was etc.

thanks
My dad is a surgeon who does about 50 of these operations a year. I have seen him operate and have a good understanding of the method and products used.

As long as you are only having a one level fusion you should be ok. I know of some professional footballers who have had this done and still been able to play on fine.

One thing though - ask them to use a bone substitute insetad of harvesting your illiac crest. Often people recover from the fusion only to suffer weeks of pain from the illiac crest harvest.
stud1_89
Rep:
?
Planning to have a spinal fusion, of lumbar spine.
How successful was yours? can you live a normal life?
banksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.spine.org/articles/spinalfusion.cfm
stud1_89
Rep:
?
Ive got a real fear that ill wake up during surgery....not be able to move or speak...but feel the pain. Ive read this has happened to people.

Is there any monitors my doctors can use to make sure i cant feel the pain and am truly fully asleep during the surgery.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Doubt it.. but seriously, I don't think this happens all that often, at least not enough for you to be concerned about.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, if the anaesthetist is doing his/her job, there'll be someone dedicated to making sure you're alright during surgery..
flaming_star
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
was afraid of that too when i had my wisdom-teeth removed,but really,its nothing to be afraid of.
of course something can go wrong,but those cases are really rare and then again it is an operation and nothing you would do every day
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by flaming_star)
was afraid of that too when i had my wisdom-teeth removed,but really,its nothing to be afraid of.
of course something can go wrong,but those cases are really rare and then again it is an operation and nothing you would do every day
Heh, for my wisdom teeth extraction, the dentist jammed 4 jabs into the gums surrounding each tooth. I was pretty confident by then that I wouldn't feel any pain.
banksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You'll pass out anyway from the pain. So after some initial discomfort, you'll be fast asleep
ExitMusic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by banksy)
You'll pass out anyway from the pain. So after some initial discomfort, you'll be fast asleep
True
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads