The Student Room Group

GCSE Results day March 8TH - What did you get.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Exactly, so I'm correct in my thinking aren't I? I got 92% of the UMS marks but taking into account the adjusted grade boundary (which increased from last year for Physics Unit 1) then I actually obtained 71%.

YES and i do think teachers need to be trained about UMS.
Very few people will post here who were disappointed, it's just an excuse for people to show off.
Original post by ginacourteener
Very few people will post here who were disappointed, it's just an excuse for people to show off.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your achievements, as long as you are not arrogant about it, I see no harm in posting the results of time spent studying and working hard.
Reply 63
Original post by ginacourteener

Yea that's how i thought yesterday!

However i got my results today instead and got:

Core resit (got an a at first) a* it said 98
Additional p3 b3 c3 a* 97
Mice and Men English resit (got an b at first) a* 60/60

Sooo happy about the English, tries to do what the mark scheme wanted eg mostly context. Also happy that the sciences turned out well as i had to cram in their revision haha!
Original post by AboveTheLine
I did a re-take of Language Unit 1. To cut along story short we had a very, very bad teacher for Year 10 who subsequently fled to Spain at the end of the year after enough complaints were received.

I believe that exam is the hardest of them all. Unless you were one mark off an A* I would really not get it remarked.

WJEC English Language Unit 1 - A
AQA Business Unit 1 - A*

These are bnoth retakes.

DiDA (Digital Applications) UMS score 54. "C" for Credit, which is a B I think? See more about this in my topic...

I did Lang Unit to (argue/persuasive writing) and got 34UMS, 2 off an A*, still worth it? and ya, mine was a re-take as well , got a B last time so still really happy :smile:
btw, can i still get an A* over all? (got 71/80 on cousewrok (1 off an A* again)
Original post by star10159
I did Lang Unit to (argue/persuasive writing) and got 34UMS, 2 off an A*, still worth it? and ya, mine was a re-take as well , got a B last time so still really happy :smile:
btw, can i still get an A* over all? (got 71/80 on cousewrok (1 off an A* again)

I'm not sure, I've only learnt about how UMS works today lesson 5 for Business. I studied the UMS boundaries for my ICT cock-up tonight.
But for English I don't know. We should have taken Language Unit 2 in Year 10 but due to the whole school getting those crap makes thanks to the teacher we're all a month or so behind and still have to do Lit 1 and Lang 2.
Yea that's how i thought yesterday!

However i got my results today instead and got:

Core resit (got an a at first) a* it said 98
Additional p3 b3 c3 a* 97
Mice and Men English resit (got an b at first) a* 60/60

Sooo happy about the English, tries to do what the mark scheme wanted eg mostly context. Also happy that the sciences turned out well as i had to cram in their revision haha!

We are doing mice and men exam this summer, could you care to tell me how you got an A*, 60/60?
Oh an by the way, i'm doing a resit for English Language as i want to get an A*.

I got a B in my exam i got 93/120 in AQA English Language. It was 96/120 for an A.

I want to achieve around 98-100/120 ideally as i got A's in my past papers.
Therefore say if i got 100/120 in my English resit
and i've got 78/80 in my coursework
and only dropped one mark in my oral assesments, do you reckon that would enable me to achieve an A*?
Original post by AboveTheLine
I'm not sure, I've only learnt about how UMS works today lesson 5 for Business. I studied the UMS boundaries for my ICT cock-up tonight.
But for English I don't know. We should have taken Language Unit 2 in Year 10 but due to the whole school getting those crap makes thanks to the teacher we're all a month or so behind and still have to do Lit 1 and Lang 2.

Oh, we did lang 1 last year and it went terrible. All D's. Retaking it this year and found out that it is actually really easy. No analysis and you can bullet point etc..
and I managed to calculate my grade and getting an A* is not likely.
Reply 69
yo, why i get neg?? :hmmm:
Reply 70
Random Q guys, is child development a GCSE? Sister's picked that as one of her choices. I want my sister to pick legit GCSEs, and not some random ass, phony ass course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by science-oliver
We are doing mice and men exam this summer, could you care to tell me how you got an A*, 60/60?

The main thing is context- if you are doing OCR (which is where i went wrong previously)! They say they want literary analysis. However, tie it in with what you are writing about context, rather than make a seperate point on devices etc, literally only make a couple of brief points on it too.

For my resit (Jan 2012) it was on Curley's wife, so i guess she's slightly less likely to come up this time round, but don't hedge your bets!
I used the Gcp revision guide which tended to make intresting context points too. Everyone knows the basic American dream, women's treatment, Dustbowl etc, so try and expand a little further.
I linked the reference of "old Suzie's" to women's treatment as a running theme not exclusive to Curley's wife in the book.
Also; how Lenny is an animal himself, from his strength to his ununderstood "innocence". Therefore in this 30's set novel, people do not want, or even need to understand him as we might now eg mental health.

You would expect the hard lives all of them have experienced to make them more sympathetic to eachother. However it's the opposite; living in a tough world in turn toughens them up to other's feelings and predicaments. Eg how the "tough" ranch hand guy kills Candy's dog (soz can't remember his name).

Everything Stienbeck wrote he did for a reason i suppose.

You probably know, the exam is only 45 mins long so make your best points only!
Btw i did the (easier for me) passage question, so you can do well on both types of questions. :smile:

Good luck for the exam and appologies for the ramble- i do try to make sense!!
Reply 72
AQA English language - 91 UMS, which was a B. I think I was 4 UMS marks off an A or something. I'm pretty happy with that, considering how much I despise English and it's undoubtedly my weakest subject.

Science P4 C4 B4 - 42/50, which was an A, three marks off an A*.
Science P5 C5 B5 - 44/50 which was an A, one mark off an A*.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in my science and I don't know why. :frown:
Original post by UFO
Thanks! I'm one of those people who always gets a few marks off the next grade argh!! :angry:

Same! Mostly with maths and sciences! It's frustrating! :redface:
Was retaking Science to meet my conditional offer from Surrey University for Adult Nursing and I got a B :biggrin:
The main thing is context- if you are doing OCR (which is where i went wrong previously)! They say they want literary analysis. However, tie it in with what you are writing about context, rather than make a seperate point on devices etc, literally only make a couple of brief points on it too.

For my resit (Jan 2012) it was on Curley's wife, so i guess she's slightly less likely to come up this time round, but don't hedge your bets!
I used the Gcp revision guide which tended to make intresting context points too. Everyone knows the basic American dream, women's treatment, Dustbowl etc, so try and expand a little further.
I linked the reference of "old Suzie's" to women's treatment as a running theme not exclusive to Curley's wife in the book.
Also; how Lenny is an animal himself, from his strength to his ununderstood "innocence". Therefore in this 30's set novel, people do not want, or even need to understand him as we might now eg mental health.

You would expect the hard lives all of them have experienced to make them more sympathetic to eachother. However it's the opposite; living in a tough world in turn toughens them up to other's feelings and predicaments. Eg how the "tough" ranch hand guy kills Candy's dog (soz can't remember his name).

Everything Stienbeck wrote he did for a reason i suppose.

You probably know, the exam is only 45 mins long so make your best points only!
Btw i did the (easier for me) passage question, so you can do well on both types of questions.

Good luck for the exam and appologies for the ramble- i do try to make sense!!

Thankyou so much! :smile:
Reply 76
I was happy with my P2 exam.:smile:
I got an a -85
C3- 80( just scraped an a)
I wasnt happy with my c3 exam because if i got a 90 i could have got an a* overall in chemistry but now i have to retake it. My teacher is not letting me though. she is saying it will be too much stress in the summer but i havnt got as much exams as the other yr 11 in my school because i finished my maths gcse. Is my science teacher allowed to not enter me without a valid reason???
:confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
AQA english language.. 99/120 = A :biggrin:

Any one know the grade to get an A*?
it was 96 for an A and 108 for an A*
Reply 79
I got:

Science, B1, C1, P1 Exam - A*

English Language, Producing Non-Fiction Texts - B

Now to look forward to Citizenship, Religious Studies, Science, Business Studies and History exams in May/June... not

Quick Reply

Latest