Fitness and Weight Loss Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello,

I am rather unfit, and have been for a little while. I am not overweight or anything like that, but I really would like to increase my fitness level. I would also like to take away my chubby appearence (on my face), and tone up my muscles around my chest & stomach.

Can anybody give any advice on how I can go about doing this? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant!

I have been to gym before and done 4 or 5 sets of crunches in one sitting, but I haven't been for a while, but would like to know what I can do to improve my fitness and lose this "chubiness" around my face.

Thanks!
islandlaw
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
You must first change your diet, weight loss i.e. fat loss, is what you are in need of. If you have 5-6 small meals a day, and start a cardio routine at the gym, maybe 3-5 times a week for roughly 45mins, you will begin to lose the “chub”. To aid the muscle definition I suggest you begin weights, high reps with reasonably light weights, this will tone your muscle mass. If you make sure you do this I can almost guarantee that you will lose the "chub". The 5-6 meals a day should be high in protein, best sources are chicken and tuna. Of cause you must make sure that you cut down if not eliminate the fatty foods for at least 2 weeks, until you see the beneficial effects, and then you will not want to eat it anyway.

Hope this helps
Peter88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sit ups do not reduce fat, a study said you would have to do 250,000 to burn a pound of fat. You need to do cardio work, like running or rowing to burn fat effectively.
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Peter88)
Sit ups do not reduce fat, a study said you would have to do 250,000 to burn a pound of fat. You need to do cardio work, like running or rowing to burn fat effectively.
still loosing fat tho lol? sit ups is exercising and by exercising you will loose fat.
completely random
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you want to tone up use weights, don't bother buying any just use two big water bottles filled with sand, and cardio (gets your heart rate going basically) like running and cycling and swimming will burn fat. Dietary changes needed as well - no junk etc. Its all relative really - exercise more, eat less.
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by islandlaw)
You must first change your diet, weight loss i.e. fat loss, is what you are in need of. If you have 5-6 small meals a day, and start a cardio routine at the gym, maybe 3-5 times a week for roughly 45mins, you will begin to lose the “chub”. To aid the muscle definition I suggest you begin weights, high reps with reasonably light weights, this will tone your muscle mass. If you make sure you do this I can almost guarantee that you will lose the "chub". The 5-6 meals a day should be high in protein, best sources are chicken and tuna. Of cause you must make sure that you cut down if not eliminate the fatty foods for at least 2 weeks, until you see the beneficial effects, and then you will not want to eat it anyway.

Hope this helps
I think the main thing is diet and cardio as what island suggested. You gotta have a good diet and a strict diet if you want to loose your chub. Decrease your calories by about 500 of your maintainence calories. Do not decrease your calories by that much because then you will start loosing quite a lot of muscle quickly. Do not eliminate your fat intake but you can keep it low and take in about 30g a day. You need fat. Also try lowering your carbs, but not too low either.

I suggest you post on www.bodybuilding.com/forum they give great advice.
jr2007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For burning fat, do circuits. Will eat em up like candy!

But yea, you need to change your diet as well as exercise to see any real benefits. Try 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein in your diet and remember it will take around 4-6 weeks before results really start to show.

Look at something like www.bodyforlife.com for tips on how to work out.
kizer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by islandlaw)
Of cause you must make sure that you cut down if not eliminate the fatty foods for at least 2 weeks, until you see the beneficial effects, and then you will not want to eat it anyway.
Excellent advice, will try that myself I think!
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jr2007)
For burning fat, do circuits. Will eat em up like candy!

But yea, you need to change your diet as well as exercise to see any real benefits. Try 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein in your diet and remember it will take around 4-6 weeks before results really start to show.

Look at something like www.bodyforlife.com for tips on how to work out.
in my opinion i think 40% protein , 40% carbs is enough, and 20% fat
teenageclay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When your doing crunches are you using an abdominal cradle because if so STOP you can do hundreds of crunches with them and not build any stomach muscles just learn how to do a crunch properly. As for your chest you should buy one of these things I don't know what they are called but they look like a giant spring and you have to bend it, it really works your pecks. Hope it helped.
Patrick
jr2007
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shadower__)
in my opinion i think 40% protein , 40% carbs is enough, and 20% fat
maybe 40% if you wanna put on a lot of muscle mass but to burn fat you wont need so much. Ok i could agree with 20% fat but i reckon you would need the carbs cos of the cardi on circuits taking a lot out of you - remember its recovery where you build and tone not just the working out part.
jr2007
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by teenageclay)
As for your chest you should buy one of these things I don't know what they are called but they look like a giant spring and you have to bend it, it really works your pecks.
or do press-ups? Would save cash and build chest, shoulders n back
teenageclay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh yeah when you exercise make sure the first thing you do is eat don't hit the showers if you going to exercise again the next day you'll need a good carb meal but if your gonna have a days rest then have protein maybe a "nurishment" shake great after the gym prefect ratio of carbs to protein and perfect to rebuild torn muscle. So yeah next day exercise eat carb meal but if your having a days rest protein.
teenageclay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
or do press-ups? Would save cash and build chest, shoulders n back
it's pretty cheap seriously like a fiver and you really see results quick trust me from experiance
jr2007
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by teenageclay)
it's pretty cheap seriously like a fiver and you really see results quick trust me from experiance
fiver!!! thats dam cheap, where from?
teenageclay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Umm its this french website something like GoSport I think
Bis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
uh oh, yet another thread with awful mixed up advice. this stuff gets asked so frequently, someone should make an FAQ and get it stickied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (69)
19.66%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.03%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.32%

Watched Threads