masterwayne10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there,

I got a U for this paper and was a mark away from an E.

Now, the grade came as a shock to me and both my tutor and head of department. I had an A for the mock examination in December and felt that the minimum I would come out with was probably a C-I didn't think I'd get a U.

I've spoken to my tutor and him and the head of department suggest getting my paper remarked. Now, do I ask for a remark or shall I retake? What would be the benefits+drawbacks of remarking and/or retaking? I understand there is a risk that the remark may not even go up, and might even stay as the same grade, but I honestly think I should have been awarded at least a C.

Alternatively, I could ask for my script back. Then, have a look at the paper and speak with my tutor and then decide whether or not to remark or to retake.

What should I do?

Also, has anyone felt the same way today? Has anyone experienced the same issue with BUSS3 before?
POWW!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
With Buss3 for me it was the opposite I thought I would get a U and ended up with a D
I suggest getting the paper back and going through it with your head of department.
masterwayne10
Rep:
?
(Original post by POWW!)
With Buss3 for me it was the opposite I thought I would get a U and ended up with a D
I suggest getting the paper back and going through it with your head of department.
Sounds interesting...but it irritates me because some students hardly made an effort for 3/4 months and still managed to either get a better grade than me or manage to get a similar mark as me. They weren't committed at all and it's all just frustrating...
POWW!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by masterwayne10)
Sounds interesting...but it irritates me because some students hardly made an effort for 3/4 months and still managed to either get a better grade than me or manage to get a similar mark as me. They weren't committed at all and it's all just frustrating...
It sounds like you're describing me when I was in AS :l
Maybe it was your exam technique? because tbf buss is mainly based on technique you could prob get a B without knowing most the theory and just being outstanding at the exam technique
masterwayne10
Rep:
?
(Original post by POWW!)
It sounds like you're describing me when I was in AS :l
Maybe it was your exam technique? because tbf buss is mainly based on technique you could prob get a B without knowing most the theory and just being outstanding at the exam technique
I honestly cannot tell you what it was. However, what I can tell you is that I never thought I'd get a U for this paper. I mean, I'm pretty sure I did some good application+analysis for at least 2/3 questions which implies that I should have gotten some good marks. How it all went wrong for me is something that I'm trying to figure out right now...
POWW!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I honestly cannot tell you what it was. However, what I can tell you is that I never thought I'd get a U for this paper. I mean, I'm pretty sure I did some good application+analysis for at least 2/3 questions which implies that I should have gotten some good marks. How it all went wrong for me is something that I'm trying to figure out right now...
Just get your paper back and go through it with your teacher
Mosinbad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
id call the script back and then go through it with ur teacher and den think bwt a remark if they have made a mistake,
ngnav
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I knw how u feel mate, but for me its a different case. I got 78 UMS in Buss3 which is a High B grade, 2 away from an A, but a U... Thats right a U!!! In BUSS2? Theres been some fishy business going on with the aqa business studies division.
stripey_polka_dot
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi there,

I got a U for this paper and was a mark away from an E.

Now, the grade came as a shock to me and both my tutor and head of department. I had an A for the mock examination in December and felt that the minimum I would come out with was probably a C-I didn't think I'd get a U.

I've spoken to my tutor and him and the head of department suggest getting my paper remarked. Now, do I ask for a remark or shall I retake? What would be the benefits+drawbacks of remarking and/or retaking? I understand there is a risk that the remark may not even go up, and might even stay as the same grade, but I honestly think I should have been awarded at least a C.

Alternatively, I could ask for my script back. Then, have a look at the paper and speak with my tutor and then decide whether or not to remark or to retake.

What should I do?

Also, has anyone felt the same way today? Has anyone experienced the same issue with BUSS3 before?

Your in exactly the same situation as me I revised so much and got 100% in the sociology exam I took in January but in business I got an E when im an A/B student I just dont get it i've been advised to get my script back and then teachers will look at the script and give it a mark (make sure you request photocopy and not original) and if they feel its been incorrectly marked then I've got to apply to get it remarked just a long expensive process seen as retake money has to be in a week today and I have no idea if my score is an E or if its been wrongly marked. Personally I felt as though I performed well in the exam and was confident so I have no idea how I scored so low? I split up my time between my two exams and did well in one so it wasn't like I just slacked on revision...how do you feel you did?
Mosinbad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ngnav)
I knw how u feel mate, but for me its a different case. I got 78 UMS in Buss3 which is a High B grade, 2 away from an A, but a U... Thats right a U!!! In BUSS2? Theres been some fishy business going on with the aqa business studies division.
lool i got 72 for buss3 and i fort i wld get a D for buss2 and instead got 114 idk how lool and got 75 for buss1
Smeemi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got 74/100 for BUSS3 but got myself back upto an A with my BUSS2 resit (105/120).
BenUny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Smeemi)
I got 74/100 for BUSS3 but got myself back upto an A with my BUSS2 resit (105/120).
Did you revise to get those marks? If so what did you do to revise/what was your exam technique?
james.n
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i got 94/100 on buss3 didnt really revise much as i already had an unconditional offer so i dont know how i got that mark
BenUny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by james.n)
i got 94/100 on buss3 didnt really revise much as i already had an unconditional offer so i dont know how i got that mark
Do you have a particular technique for answering the questions?
james.n
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
make sure that you spend the right amount of time on each question, work out how many minutes you have per mark and stick to it or you will run out of time on the longer questions which are worth the most marks
BenUny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by james.n)
make sure that you spend the right amount of time on each question, work out how many minutes you have per mark and stick to it or you will run out of time on the longer questions which are worth the most marks
thanks
masterwayne10
Rep:
?
(Original post by stripey_polka_dot)
Your in exactly the same situation as me I revised so much and got 100% in the sociology exam I took in January but in business I got an E when im an A/B student I just dont get it i've been advised to get my script back and then teachers will look at the script and give it a mark (make sure you request photocopy and not original) and if they feel its been incorrectly marked then I've got to apply to get it remarked just a long expensive process seen as retake money has to be in a week today and I have no idea if my score is an E or if its been wrongly marked. Personally I felt as though I performed well in the exam and was confident so I have no idea how I scored so low? I split up my time between my two exams and did well in one so it wasn't like I just slacked on revision...how do you feel you did?
Sounds like we're both in the same boat then. Honestly speaking, I felt the exam went pretty well. I did not think that it was a difficult paper nor was it incredibly easy, but I felt that I managed to do well-and by 'well', I mean, above a U grade. I don't know whether it was down to a 'bad day' and maybe it was my own fault, something may not have been done or answered properly. However, I feel there's definitely something wrong-I've never received a U grade in any subject (inc. tests) before, let alone an exam. So, I think AQA may have marked my exam wrongly/incorrectly. When I say this, I mean it, there were some 'idiots' who did well and some who even came close to me with regards to the marks. I was shocked when I found out the grade I got but I've spoken to my business tutor, and I will hopefully be getting a photocopy of my exam paper and will then speak to my tutor and discuss whether I should hand it back for a remark.
Mosinbad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like we're both in the same boat then. Honestly speaking, I felt the exam went pretty well. I did not think that it was a difficult paper nor was it incredibly easy, but I felt that I managed to do well-and by 'well', I mean, above a U grade. I don't know whether it was down to a 'bad day' and maybe it was my own fault, something may not have been done or answered properly. However, I feel there's definitely something wrong-I've never received a U grade in any subject (inc. tests) before, let alone an exam. So, I think AQA may have marked my exam wrongly/incorrectly. When I say this, I mean it, there were some 'idiots' who did well and some who even came close to me with regards to the marks. I was shocked when I found out the grade I got but I've spoken to my business tutor, and I will hopefully be getting a photocopy of my exam paper and will then speak to my tutor and discuss whether I should hand it back for a remark.

did u label the questions ryt? usual mistake
TB.93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ngnav)
UNIT 2 is a joke. I got 78 as well in Buss3 and last year i got a U in unit 2. I got an A in unit 1. This jan I got a C in Unit 2 making my grade a B overall but I need an A so it looks like im resiting unit 2 for the 3RD time. I think it is defo the hardest exam out of the bunch. 80% of the exam is technique wheras the others are more content.
Mosinbad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
true buss2 is a hard paper, ive sat it 2wice and found it difficult, but i managed to get 114 this jan somehow, prbz bz i was doin buss3 which helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.04%
I'm not sure (59)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (390)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (653)
49.28%

Watched Threads