Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's the best form of exercise to do to tone up? I was thinking of taking up dance because I heard that dancers are extremely fit/ strong etc. Can anyone recommend anything that increases fitness/strength/tone and is a sociolable sport?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how sociable it is. But swimming is probably the best exercise, it uses all the body. The water provides a good balance for the body and reduces any chance of injuring yourself through muscle strain etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    What's the best form of exercise to do to tone up? I was thinking of taking up dance because I heard that dancers are extremely fit/ strong etc. Can anyone recommend anything that increases fitness/strength/tone and is a sociolable sport?
    Fitness tone and strength cant be put in the same category. You looked 'toned' if you are lean/low percentage body fat.

For simple calorie burning swimming is the best - it will also increase the amount of muscle you have on your legs and arms. Next best is something like Crosstrainers and elipticals - working the same muscles.

For toning up and strength youll need to do some sort of resistance training. Obviously the training you do depends on which area of the body you are interested in 'toning up'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Fitness tone and strength cant be put in the same category. You looked 'toned' if you are lean/low percentage body fat.

For simple calorie burning swimming is the best - it will also increase the amount of muscle you have on your legs and arms. Next best is something like Crosstrainers and elipticals - working the same muscles.

For toning up and strength youll need to do some sort of resistance training. Obviously the training you do depends on which area of the body you are interested in 'toning up'.
    thanks for that proffesor

ReputationRep:
    You can't improve your fitness/toning to any great degree with sports (unless your playing them for a long time every day..). Your best bet would be to join a gym and use the weights and cardio machines in order to achieve it.

Toning requires lighter weights but with repetitons and cardio you will be wanting to push yourself a bit to improve endurance/stamnia for fitness. The majority of gyms will do a personal programme free of charge for you.

ReputationRep:
    running

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend anything that increases fitness/strength/tone and is a sociolable sport?
    Eat raw meat and don't wash your hands as often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    You can't improve your fitness/toning to any great degree with sports (unless your playing them for a long time every day..). Your best bet would be to join a gym and use the weights and cardio machines in order to achieve it.
    well im already a member of my gym but i find it all abit repetitive/boring, i just wanted to try something new...thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    running
    everyone comes up with sensible plans and then it gets ruined......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    everyone comes up with sensible plans and then it gets ruined......
    i went running tonite - i was soooooooo proud of myself

ReputationRep:
    I go salsa and ballroom dancing each week - it's GREAT!

ReputationRep:
    well im already a member of my gym but i find it all abit repetitive/boring, i just wanted to try something new...thanks anyway
    I'll take it you havent pursued any classes or sought advice/training from the instructers who are there to make your gym work worthwhile and enjoyable.

*claps*

Squash is good for fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

Toning requires lighter weights but with repetitons and cardio you will be wanting to push yourself a bit to improve endurance/stamnia for fitness. The majority of gyms will do a personal programme free of charge for you.
    Thats not what toning entails - thats a common misconception.

People perceive toned as being(having) something along the lines of abit of muscle but not too much. You will still need to do resistance training - unless you have less than 8% body fat - in which case youll look pretty toned simply because you have next to no fat on your bones. If you do lighter weights with lots of repititions - you just burn calories which reduces the amount of fat on your body etc. so you look more toned. But if burns calories at a slower rate to normal exercises such as running and swimming.

ReputationRep:
    They say sex burns many a calorie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I'll take it you havent pursued any classes or sought advice/training from the instructers who are there to make your gym work worthwhile and enjoyable.

*claps*

Squash is good for fitness.
    Sorry? Are you trying to say that the instructors at the gym know more than the average person who visits the gym?

ReputationRep:
    swimming is meant to be the best sport for all round fitness
    cycling is meant to be the second best

i reccommend the second i love my bike

ReputationRep:
    Go dancing! You meet fellers (went out for dinner with one -yes a have a bf, it wasn't like that!) and I like to think of myself as a bit slinky-hipped now My posture is also a lot better now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    i went running tonite - i was soooooooo proud of myself
    i bet you were just running away form an angry mob you annoyed or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Sorry? Are you trying to say that the instructors at the gym know more than the average person who visits the gym?
    Average person at gym = next to no knowledge about fitness etc
    Gym Instructers = have some qualifications in nutrition/fitness etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    They say sex burns many a calorie...
    Yeh, but it doesnt. If you had sex for an hour youd probably burn 150 calories - about as much as you would driving a car. I dont think many people have sex for an hour in one go

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.