The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by 3.14Pie
RS is apparently the easiest AS apart from media studies, general studies etc.?
Is it really difficult?

Well I do chemistry maths and biology as well and I find it very hard.
I completely disagree with it being as easy as media studies. It's worth exactly the same as English and History.
And its on the A2 list for Trinity College Cambridge..

Some people think its a *Mickey mouse* subject because the GCSE is insanely easy, anything you write down is correct, but AS is nothing like it at all. I'm doing Philosophy and New Testament :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by the assassin
hi guys.

So over the past 2 weeks or so, i've compiled a list of mark schemes for many of those 6 marker questions at the end, and many commonly-asked questions. I saw one online for unit 1 which helped a lot with questions, especially for me since i tend to ramble a lot but there wasn't one for unit 2, so i decided to make one.

As the syllabus is huge, it doesn't cover everything (for example, there aren't too many answers relating to mitosis aren't there, because a lot of the questions are ao2-based with diagrams/tables, so it'd be a tad hard to put mark schemes for that - but just make sure you know the steps and understand how it works, and then you'll be fine). But there definitely is a lot of stuff in there. Not everything is compiled in categories though (i.e you may find there'll be a mark scheme on oxygen affinity, then the next one will be something completely different, and a few mark schemes later it's back to oxygen affinity), so apologies for that.

Obviously, i suggest you revise the syllabus first so you actually understand the course. Compared to your books/notes, the mark schemes won't be of much use in ao2 questions.

For those who download it, i hope you find it useful :-)

oh my word thank you so much!!! :biggrin:
Reply 602
Original post by thescientist17
oh my word thank you so much!!! :biggrin:

Where are they? I cant find them :frown:
Original post by Xiomara
This is incredible, thank you so much!

Cheeky to ask but the Unit One version you referred to, do you have a link to that too?

No problem.

And yeah - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1942106&page=22&page=22#432
Reply 604

These are really good. Thanks ! x
Reply 605
Can anyone help me answer this question:
Name two factors which affect the rate of facilitated diffusion of a substance through a membrane...? (3 marks)
I can't find anything in the text book..
Original post by britash
Name two factors which affect the rate of facilitated diffusion of a substance through a membrane...? (3 marks)

Surface area, diffusion pathway distance, concentration gradient? :smile:

Edit: Number of carrier/channel proteins
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 607

Ahh, thank you so much! It was very generous of you to share the first let alone the second. Much appreciated!
Reply 608
Original post by Mocking_bird

Seriously? Wow do I feel stupid now. Haha.
I was thinking about the actual carrier proteins :/
Stupid me. Thanks x
Has anyone got the AQA textbook exam style question answers? For all the topics.

If so please send me the link.

Hello, Tulia and MockingBird - i remember you guys from January! Ha
For Unit 2 - I should have stated...
Original post by britash

I don't know why it is 3 marks if you're only having to give two factors, but I would go with the following:

Concentration gradient

Temperature

If I was to give a third point, it would probably be number of channel proteins, as it can act as a limiting factor.

Edit: Number of carrier/channel proteins

I wouldn't have said surface area or diffusion pathway distance.
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Has anyone got the AQA textbook exam style question answers? For all the topics.

If so please send me the link.

This link: http://www.thomas-reddington.com/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/biology_as_chapter_1.pdf

Change the number after the chapter as appropriate.

And I'm afraid I can't say I remember you, but nice to cross paths with you anyhow. :smile:
Original post by Tullia
I wouldn't have said surface area or diffusion pathway distance.

More surface area more room for proteins? Shrug. :tongue:
To be fair I misread the question at first hence the edit hahah.
Original post by TheFootyKing19

Hiya :smile:
How did you end up doing?
Reply 616
I remember a few people from January ^^
Seems like ages ago though. haha.
Reply 617
Original post by Tullia
I don't know why it is 3 marks if you're only having to give two factors, but I would go with the following:

Concentration gradient

Temperature

If I was to give a third point, it would probably be number of channel proteins, as it can act as a limiting factor.

Thanks (again) haha.
I thought it was odd for 3 marks, maybe a mis-type i'm guessing! x
More surface area more room for proteins? Shrug. :tongue:
To be fair I misread the question at first hence the edit hahah.

No! :unimpressed:

I'll let you off though! :h:

Oh, and this request for notes on variation. Can you please elaborate? Do you just want notes on genetic and environmental variation? I'm only asking so I can try and produce something decent for you rather than using my time to not help either of us.
Original post by Tullia
No! :unimpressed:

I'll let you off though! :h:

Oh, and this request for notes on variation. Can you please elaborate? Do you just want notes on genetic and environmental variation? I'm only asking so I can try and produce something decent for you rather than using my time to not help either of us.

So could be :colone:

Yeah like the whole... environmental is polygenic and that kinda dealy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending