Turn on thread page Beta

Feel sorry for Saddam Hussein? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    what "unjust" deaths has be been responsible for, EXCLUDING the war in Iraq?
    Afghanistan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    No, you are very, very mistaken there.

I always appreciate other people's opinions, even if they contrast to mine, as long as the person who stated the opinion exposed some effort in justifiying their opinion.

I have made that clear many times, and I'm not one for attacking people who have differing opinions.

I thought I made that obvious or at least fairly clear..
    no i agree with you there, you are normally quite happy to accept other peoples views andstill stick to your own but there are other people who get jumpy when people don't agree with them

ReputationRep:
    what "unjust" deaths has be been responsible for, EXCLUDING the war in Iraq?
    How can you just exclude thousands of deaths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    no i agree with you there, you are normally quite happy to accept other peoples views andstill stick to your own but there are other people who get jumpy when people don't agree with them
    True.

Indeed one of the moderators, of whom I am good friends with, attacked those who had a contrasting opinion in a mildly, offensive although unjustified manner, regarding a controversial topic. I openly voiced my reasoning that the moderator in question was in the wrong.

Of course, I was right about that particular situation as it was fairly obvious he/she's statement wasn't fair whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    True.

Indeed one of the moderators, of whom I am good friends with, attacked those who had a contrasting opinion in a mildly, offensive although unjustified manner, regarding a controversial topic. I openly voiced my reasoning that the moderator in question was in the wrong.

Of course, I was right about that particular situation as it was fairly obvious he/she's statement wasn't fair whatsoever.
    lol, 'of course i was right'

that is the way to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Afghanistan?
    How on earth can you just "EXCLUDE" thousands of deaths?

Ohh well, what is a few thousand here and there? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    lol, 'of course i was right'

that is the way to be
    No, I'm not always right, but it was very obvious for that particular incident that I was right as the moderator who expressed that statement was clearly wrong, and there was no question about it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    How can you just exclude thousands of deaths?
    because I reckoned that you were referring to Iraq, which I dont want to discuss because it's an argument which has been done many times before on this forum (and, btw, IMO was perfectly justified, just not on the WMD claims).

And as for "afghanistan" - Taliban?

Whilst on WMDs, its interesting how we attacked a country which, it seems, actually has none, because of its WMDs. Why have we not attacked other countries? North Korea openly admits to having nukes, and has said they will happily launch a few if they want to. They're communist too, so that makes them much more a target, you'd think.

ReputationRep:
    Is Saddam being kept in America or in Iraq?

I dont feel sorry for him the ******* probably has a good deal going with the americans, with his status as a POW and if tried in America, he wouldnt be able to reveal details about trades with America which would be very embarassing for the americans even thought most people know of it already. So there probably is some sort of agreement between the two!

Also saddam will be one of those things that people just forget when media attention goes off him, no one cares where bin laden is now dead or alive, saddam deserves to be punshied in iraq by the people he ****ed around for years, he should also be made to recompensate Kurdish and Iranian families that he perscuted!

ReputationRep:
    "because I reckoned that you were referring to Iraq, which I dont want to discuss because it's an argument which has been done many times before on this forum (and, btw, IMO was perfectly justified, just not on the WMD claims)." - Still, you can't just magically rub off thousands of innocent lives killed.

And as for "afghanistan" - Taliban? - 4 times the number of people were killed in Afghanistan than September the 11th - AND AT THIS TIME THERE WAS NO PROOF THAT IT WAS HELD RESPONSIBLE BY BIN LADEN EITHER.

And anyway, innocent lives were still killed, even if their was a half decent motive, OF WHICH THEIR WASN'T WHEN THE THOUSANDS WERE MURDERED ANYWAY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a1987)
    Iranian families that he perscuted!
    I'm iranian, not that it has much relevance to your post though.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst on WMDs, its interesting how we attacked a country which, it seems, actually has none, because of its WMDs. Why have we not attacked other countries? North Korea openly admits to having nukes, and has said they will happily launch a few if they want to. They're communist too, so that makes them much more a target, you'd think.
    Well put mate. The North Korean regime is one of the most brutal in the world. Why did we target Iraq? OIL!

But I don't want this to be a 'reasons for the Iraq war debate' that has been done a million times over probably, and to no conclusion.

I merely think that Saddams human rights should be respected, I feel sorry for him. I reckon he wasn't 'that bad' and shouldn't be treated like an animal. I don't think it is morally right from us as a civilised nation and I do not think it is fair we should respect him as a statesman not an animal, admittedly we may think his methods were unsound, but at the end of it all I think he did what he thought was the best for Iraq.

Anyway I really need to get some shuteye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cretin)
    Well put mate. The North Korean regime is one of the most brutal in the world. Why did we target Iraq? OIL!

But I don't want this to be a 'reasons for the Iraq war debate' that has been done a million times over probably, and to no conclusion.

I merely think that Saddams human rights should be respected, I feel sorry for him. I reckon he wasn't 'that bad' and shouldn't be treated like an animal. I don't think it is morally right from us as a civilised nation and I do not think it is fair we should respect him as a statesman not an animal, admittedly we may think his methods were unsound, but at the end of it all I think he did what he thought was the best for Iraq.

Anyway I really need to get some shuteye.
    I agree entirely, and I also found it interesting that the person who made an earlier post explained that korea were more of a threat then Iraq as they had WMD's, yet USA chose to attack iraq instead, and he/she thought that this justified US actions!! LOL. :rolleyes:

Yes, isn't it funny how Iraq, with no WMD's, were supposedly more of a threat than Korea with these weapons, yet THE OFFICIAL MOTIVE TO WAR WAS "They have weapons of WMD's they pose a threat."

Wow, talk about being consistent relative to the statement/argument....:rolleyes:

But of course, the fact that Iraq are plentiful in valuable Oil, and Korea certainly aren't, has nothing to do with this decision whatsoever. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oh yes. i feel sorry for a guy who felt free to gas the iraqi population at will, who routinely had people who disagreed with him tortured and killed, and is ultimately responsible of thousands of deaths.

HERE,HERE!!! He didnt treat the innocent people he killed humanly so why should we treat him humanly!!! He deserves everything he gets!!!

ReputationRep:
    oh yes. i feel sorry for a guy who felt free to gas the iraqi population at will, who routinely had people who disagreed with him tortured and killed, and is ultimately responsible of thousands of deaths.
    You feel sorry for George Bush then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Scarlet)
    You feel sorry for George Bush then?
    You cannot compare George Bush and Saddam and claim them as bad as each other. In both cases they were the cause of deaths yes, however in the situations and the way it was done and the intentions behind them were completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    You cannot compare George Bush and Saddam and claim them as bad as each other. In both cases they were the cause of deaths yes, however in the situations and the way it was done and the intentions behind them were completely different.
    They have both caused deaths.
    They have both gone to war on false grounds.
    They have both flouted the human rights of thousands.
    They have both been motivated by money.
    They both possess nuclear weapons.
    They both run some form of dictatorship, either concealed or seen openly.

Shall I go on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Scarlet)
    They have both caused deaths.
    They have both gone to war on false grounds.
    They have both flouted the human rights of thousands.
    They have both been motivated by money.
    They both possess nuclear weapons.
    They both run some form of dictatorship, either concealed or seen openly.

Shall I go on?
    1) Yes, however Saddam caused Deaths of innocent civilians for no reason other than persucution of them, he also did it terrible way. Bush on the other had never deliberatly went out to kill civilians they were an unfortunate consequence of freeing a country

2) That is not a truth, it is an opinion

3) Examples?

4) That is not a truth, it is an opinion

5) Yes, however Saddam was infintly more likely to use them against another country. The USA would not use their nuclear capablities unless they were attacked themselves

6) If you think like that, then every country in the world is a dictaorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    1) Yes, however Saddam caused Deaths of innocent civilians for no reason other than persucution of them, he also did it terrible way. Bush on the other had never deliberatly went out to kill civilians they were an unfortunate consequence of freeing a country

2) That is not a truth, it is an opinion

3) Examples?

4) That is not a truth, it is an opinion

5) Yes, however Saddam was infintly more likely to use them against another country. The USA would not use their nuclear capablities unless they were attacked themselves

6) If you think like that, then every country in the world is a dictaorship.
    1 - Bush's intelligence forces knowing launched strikes upon cicillian targets into areas which they suspected, but had no concrete proof, contained so called terrorists.

2 - Bush told us he had concrete evidence that there were weapons of mass destruction and that Saddam was a nuclear threat, where are these weapons, where is this threat?

3 - Camp X- ray.

4 - Possibly, though does it not suprise you that the first thing Bush did when he got into Iraq was take hold of the oil fields?

5 - The USA has been known to use nuclear weapons and is therefore a greater threat. Iraq has only been know to use biological weapons. \

6 - No, thats just an oppinion.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.