Leaving university in the second year ... Watch

cymruambyth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(I posted this in another forum earlier today but didn't get a response)

Argh, stress!

I'm a second-year student at York university, studying French and Linguistics. It's not been an easy ride for me, firstly adjusting to uni life and then learning how to study independantly. I guess I've not really gotten myself into the working frame of mine while I've been here.

I got good GCSE's and AAA at A-level and was so happy to be going to a top-class university, finally leaving home and making friends. I couldn't wait, I'd be on this forum everyday, asking everything and everything about the uni, but not about the course.

Things have been slipping since my first term at uni. I got a third overall (the first year here counts for a third of the degree). I've been having a **** time of it, trying to motivate myself, trying to make it right. But, no matter how hard I try, no matter how many supervisor meetings I have, I just can't study. It's depressing. I'm not achieving my full potential.

I've been considering leaving York and instead, taking up Japanese and French (or Japanese with something else), at another university. This time, I've actually read up on what the courses entail, and I've phoned the relevant uni's, the ones that offer the courses. They say it's not too late to apply for 2006 entry, provided I apply quickly and call the relevant departments.

Obviously, I've been at York for 1.5 years, a long time just to start all over again. But I really feel like Japanese is the way forward for me. Anyone who knows me would tell you that I have huge ambitions and interests in Japan, the language and the culture. I think a degree in something that I'm passionate about and have researched would be right for me.

My dad calls this the 'grass is greener' syndrome. Who's to say that Japanese at another university will be better? Obviously, I don't know that. But I'd rather take a risk on being happy and fulfilled enough to study something, rather than plodding along like this, getting nowhere. I can't stay in York any longer, I just can't.

Any suggestions/similar experiences?
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
Please help, I'm at my whits-end here. I can't help feeling completely gutted by the situation I'm in. Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated.
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
I'm sorry to post lots, but I'm in a right state here. I can't stop crying, shaking, I'm freaking out. Someone help me, please!
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Try not to get too worked up, its best to be calm in things like this because things are clearer (but thats rich coming from me - the most hysterical person ever :p: )

I'm sorry to hear things have turned out like this for you. The only thing I can suggest is to be 100% honest with yourself...are you really going to change unis because you know you will do better? If yes then I say go for it. Theres no point staying in a place that you are miseable with the course and cant get motivated.

You certainly sound very passionate about Japenese. If it will make you happy then 100% go for it. You've done your research etc. I think its always worth a risk in situations like this.

Hope I was a little bit of help Best of luck
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
Thanks for the response, Vixen. It helped a lot.

Am I too late to start a Japanese course in 2006?
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What made you pick your original course - were you as passionate about that before you actually started studying it? I mean, do you genuinely think it's just the course that's the problem.

Gosh I don't mean to sound harsh! But there is a grain of truth to what your dad says, it may just be that you're in a bad situation now which is clouding your judgement. Then again if your long term goal is Japan and you think that's enough to motivate you on a new course then it would be silly to continue on a course that you're not doing very well in anyway.

It's a decision only you can make now and you're not too late to apply for 2006 entry, though your options might be slighlty restricted because you've missed the UCAS deadline.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cymruambyth)
Thanks for the response, Vixen. It helped a lot.

Am I too late to start a Japanese course in 2006?
Well, you said that they said it wasnt too late as long as you make phone calls to the right places. You'll probably need to do that asap so you need to be 100% sure of the decision soon.

One of my friends didnt apply for the 2005 entry til about March or something. She and our head of 6th form just made very polite phone calls and just that she was desperate to get to uni so you should be ok
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can apply as late as September if you just go through Clearing.

If you're not totally sure, you could see if you could start learning japanese by getting books from the library or seeing if there are any resources on the internet.
mrteacher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Please help, I'm at my whits-end here. I can't help feeling completely gutted by the situation I'm in. Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated.
hey a friend of mine actually left York in the middle of the first year. (she was doin econ). she thought the place was horrible and couldn't study there. she was an AAA student like you, but is now at Essex having a great time... if you feel this bad I do suggest you get out of York. I dont know what your financial situation is... but taking the rest of the year out does not sound such a bad idea... travel, plus go to a good counsellor and do some deep soul-searching instead of panicking. I can understand why you are feeling so bad but just hold on tight and make sure u explain to ur parents why you feel this way. it is not too late to apply and ur case is different.
everything will be ok man...as long as we have our health we can do anything so dont go ruining it by panicking and cring
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be honest, if you are having problems because you haven't bothered to do the work then that is your problem more than the course. No matter what course you choose there will always be parts of it that you find insanely boring (trust me I know!) but you have the motivation to put in the work regardless. If you came on here saying that you had tried your best but you can't do it then that is another matter....but what it sounds like is that you are at uni for the social side of things rather than anything else. I know I am being harsh but I have a friend in a very similar situation. They have been on three different courses now (in three years) and each time they don't bother doing the work, get bad grades and then drop out blaming the course before choosing another one.
kb500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Argh, stress!

I'm a second-year student at York university, studying French and Linguistics. It's not been an easy ride for me, firstly adjusting to uni life and then learning how to study independantly. I guess I've not really gotten myself into the working frame of mine while I've been here.

I got good GCSE's and AAA at A-level and was so happy to be going to a top-class university, finally leaving home and making friends. I couldn't wait, I'd be on this forum everyday, asking everything and everything about the uni, but not about the course.

Things have been slipping since my first term at uni. I got a third overall (the first year here counts for a third of the degree). I've been having a **** time of it, trying to motivate myself, trying to make it right. But, no matter how hard I try, no matter how many supervisor meetings I have, I just can't study. It's depressing. I'm not achieving my full potential.

I've been considering leaving York and instead, taking up Japanese and French (or Japanese with something else), at another university. This time, I've actually read up on what the courses entail, and I've phoned the relevant uni's, the ones that offer the courses. They say it's not too late to apply for 2006 entry, provided I apply quickly and call the relevant departments.

Obviously, I've been at York for 1.5 years, a long time just to start all over again. But I really feel like Japanese is the way forward for me. Anyone who knows me would tell you that I have huge ambitions and interests in Japan, the language and the culture. I think a degree in something that I'm passionate about and have researched would be right for me.

My dad calls this the 'grass is greener' syndrome. Who's to say that Japanese at another university will be better? Obviously, I don't know that. But I'd rather take a risk on being happy and fulfilled enough to study something, rather than plodding along like this, getting nowhere. I can't stay in York any longer, I just can't.

I'm sorry but you just sound like you can't be bothered to put the effort in, get with the programme no wonder some people complain about students wasting tax payers money. I mean seriously how hard is it to adapt to independent study...
JadedHippy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Argh, stress!

I'm studying Japanese right now at Edinburgh University and I think it is great! If it's what you truely want to do, then you should give it a try.

However, it is one of those subjects that needs a huge personal study commitment. There is no way around this. You can't just research what ever you are interested in; you need to spend a large amount of time studying very specific vocabulary, grammar and kanji. If you don't do this, you can't even participate in the tutorials, as you have no idea what anyone is saying.

What I'm trying to say is.. it's great you have found a passion in something. But if you cannot convert that into a good study ethic... it will not amount to anything.

Ganbatte! (Go for it!)

*Jaded
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mrteacher)
hey a friend of mine actually left York in the middle of the first year. (she was doin econ). she thought the place was horrible and couldn't study there. she was an AAA student like you, but is now at Essex having a great time... if you feel this bad I do suggest you get out of York. I dont know what your financial situation is... but taking the rest of the year out does not sound such a bad idea... travel, plus go to a good counsellor and do some deep soul-searching instead of panicking. I can understand why you are feeling so bad but just hold on tight and make sure u explain to ur parents why you feel this way. it is not too late to apply and ur case is different.
everything will be ok man...as long as we have our health we can do anything so dont go ruining it by panicking and cring
York to Essex. Ouch.
mrteacher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SHHISSHH)
York to Essex. Ouch.
she is very happy there though. so it doesn't matter
everton1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
go for it if u feel that passionate about it that is the only advice any1 can give u. But u have got to be sure that it is right for you, some people, and i am not saying this is you, are just not suited to teaching methods at university. You are obviously intelligant though so good luck
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be fair - this sounds like a problem with you, not with the University. If you were really loving the course then you'd be working harder - no offence meant. If you need to get away from Uni, by all means do so, but take a year out to figure out what you want to do. Going straight into another Uni course won't help.
laura_sparkle
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
hey, i started uni in sept 05 straight from school. i was doing speech therapy at city university. I made the mistake of living at home and travelling every day, i hated it! so i decided to leave, and take a gap year. i got a job as a teaching assistant for experience and i love it. am going to uni in sept 06 instead on a 3 year course. the one at city was a 4 year course, so it's worked out well because i will be graduating at the same time had i stayed on. it's best to leave now if you hate it that much. it's best to be happy. although my situation was a bit different, because i left after a week, so i didnt leave it that long. hope this helps!
everton1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Two points - one good one bad.

Firstly if you can complete and pass your first two years at uni then you should be eligible for an early exit award - for 2 years it would be a Diploma of Higher Education, the equivalent of an HND. So if you knuckle down for the next 3/4 months and pass your second year then at the least you'll have something to show for it.

Secondly if you drop out at this stage and want to restart at another university then I'm afraid you're almost certain to have trouble obtaining funding. LEA funding will usually stretch to extra years if you change/extend your course within 12 months of the start date - after that point your LEA are under no obligation to pay for any extra years. This would mean that you would only be eligibly for any income assessed support for your first year (or first two years if you're currently on a 4 year course) on another course. And it gets worse...because you'd be dropping out at this stage it's possible that the university you move to would be eligible to charge you fees under the new system. If this is the case then you would be liable to pay £3000 fees up front for any year your LEA refuses to fund (ie everything after your first year).

I strongly recommend that you speak to your tutor, student union advice centre, LEA (even anonymously) and careers advice centre at uni before making any moves. It's daft to carry on on a course that's making you unhappy....but don't make any rash decisions before finding out exactly where you will stand financially if you start over.

Also look into CATS (credit accumulation and transfer scheme) depending which subject you choose to transfer to it may allow you to skip some of the first years. Or alternatively you could use it to get an Open University degree within a year or two part time whilst working.

bit of cracking advice there never thort of that!!!! U shud be working for the careers service yourself
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by everton1987)
bit of cracking advice there never thort of that!!!! U shud be working for the careers service yourself
PQ does work at a uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads