English Lang E
Geography E
Mathematics E
amz_k_456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
she aint even got 5 passes so yeah they are bad .. my mocks were really bad but im trying to push them up in the real thing .. so with hard work and good c/w she can push them up in the real thing
Mellie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be honest, without five passes, or at the very least, passes in English and Maths, it is probably unlikely she'd be accepted on to academic courses. I was pathetic at Maths but I can honestly say that I'm pleased I eventually passed it because it's the first one that colleges and employers ask for. I had to sit it three times and I wish I'd persevered with it more at school because not having it limited my opportunites at the next stage of my education.

If I were you, I'd really encourage your sister to keep plugging away with Maths and English because even if she only got grade Cs in those, she'd probably find it more beneficial than passes in any other subject. It depends what she wants to do, really.

I presume the predictions are based on Mocks? If so, she'll still be learning new material in classes now and there's plenty of time for revising and maybe asking for extra help from teachers.
Spunky
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the predictions are based on mock results, then you probably need to give your sister a push in the right direction. Even if she wants to stay out of further study (A-Levles and beyond) she really should get a pass in Maths and English, otherwise it is going to hold her back from applying to, and getting, a lot of jobs.

The situation isn't that dire if its just predictions though, if she is leaving school after GCSEs then make sure she concentrates on Maths and English, as all employers want a basic level of numeracy and communication skills .
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Muse)
Art C
ICT C
Photography C
English lit D
D+T grafics D
Science Double award D
Science Double award D
English Lang E
Geography E
Mathematics E
Predictably, yes; yes, they are.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sadly, yes.
lil groovy dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah .... sorry but they are
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't want to sound harsh, but yeah, they're pretty bad. There's still time to push them up though- just make sure you encourage her to get the best possible marks on coursework and revise well. As others have said, the results won't matter much if she wants to leave school at 16, but she really needs to try and get Cs in English and maths for most jobs.
stratomaster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get her to pull her socks up on maths, English and science especially.
sim90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there not good but u can always improve
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yep their pretty bad.....however there are a few months to go....so push her a bit and make sure she gets 5 passes!
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Guys, I don't know if it is just terminology, but a lot of you have been talking about 'passes' in this thread in relation to grades C and above. In fact anything from G upwards is a pass, it is just C and above are higher passes. Yes lower grades might not be that good, but they are still passes.

I mean last night I heard one story about a girl in year 10/11 who was predicted a grade D in maths who though she was a failure and wouldn't bother at all as she though a C and above only were the only pass grades. This girl was told by a friend of mine that anything above a G is a pass. This really made the girl brighten up and we're hoping now that she no longer feels so much a failure and is able to put the effort in, perhaps even being able to make her predicted D into a C.

So just be careful what you call a 'pass' please
Dystopia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Technicality aside, a D is tantamount to a fail... not many jobs/sixth forms/universities would accept it, anyway.

But even so, predicted grades don't mean much.
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's the real grades that matter, but with some decent revision, I'm sure she could go up a grade in some things, and hopefully get the 5 Cs and above that colleges are looking for. However, there's plenty of other courses at college that don't require the 5 Cs
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
Yes, they are bad. What does she want to do after GCSE's?
NileDelta
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I will make her do some revision then.
NileDelta
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
Yes, they are bad. What does she want to do after GCSE's?
She says she as no idea. So all she needed is 5 C and then it will be ok?
crazyexcitedrandomer01
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah 5 C grades is a minimum requirement for most things
Mellie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Muse)
She says she as no idea. So all she needed is 5 C and then it will be ok?
In theory.

But if she wanted to do AS Levels, she may actually need higher than a C for some subjects. For example, I know for Maths, most Sciences, English and most Languages, they like you to have at least a B.

But a C should definitely be the aim.
bohemian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Seems a bit weird to be studying for 10 GCSEs when it means her predicted grades end up low. Surely dropping, say, Geography and Graphics, would mean a better chance of Maths/Eng ending up at C or above?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads