Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersonic)
    The problem is not that your intelligent it is that you act more intelligent than you probable are and seem arrogant
    When I was at school, people who were good at sports thought they were better than everyone else. Isn't this arrogance? Why not mock and beat down these people?
    ...i may be wrong but the manner in what you have replied to people seems to suggest this...Not all intelligent people are marginalised so although it might contribute to your problems it dosen't cause them.
    I think people hate intelligence because of envy. They realise an intelligent person can achieve more than life than they can.

The thing is people who beat down intelligent people never give any reasoning as to why intelligence is bad. That's not how things work and that isn't really balanced behaviour. Racists aren't racists for the sake of it. Anti-semites aren't anti-semites for the sake of it. You don't put effort and energy into hating and harming someone for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Utter tosh.
    It completely depends where you are and the area you live and the type of school and the people there. You can't generalise about this.

Right. Well, I'm not from the ghetto, but I'm not from a posh area either. I lived in a middle-class neighborhood where most kids went to university, although not particularly good ones.

All I can say is the bullied kids give off "I'm so smart and that's it" vibes. Remember, there's a difference between being a nerd and being a dork or geek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Why? What makes someone "likeable"?

Why do young people see everything in black and white terms?
    Fine, at least be apathetic towards you rather than antagonistic.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school, people who were good at sports thought they were better than everyone else. Isn't this arrogance? Why not mock and beat down these people?
    Don't people do that anyway?

I think people hate intelligence because of envy. They realise an intelligent person can achieve more than life than they can.
    Not really envy as much as intimidation perhaps.

The thing is people who beat down intelligent people never give any reasoning as to why intelligence is bad. That's not how things work and that isn't really balanced behaviour. Racists aren't racists for the sake of it. Anti-semites aren't anti-semites for the sake of it. You don't put effort and energy into hating and harming someone for no reason.
    People dislike others for various reasons, most unexplainable. Some people can look at someone and think "I don't like him/her" despite having an intangible reason. It's called "humans are judgemental morons." Whether it's race, intelligence, gender, athleticism, etc. people can find a reason to dislike anyone. However most people don't act on this dislike verbally/physically unless the other person somehow provokes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inclination)
    Don't people do that anyway?
    Nope.

Not really envy as much as intimidation perhaps.
    So they're pussies then?

People dislike others for various reasons, most unexplainable. Some people can look at someone and think "I don't like him/her" despite having an intangible reason. It's called "humans are judgemental morons." Whether it's race, intelligence, gender, athleticism, etc. people can find a reason to dislike anyone. However most people don't act on this dislike verbally/physically unless the other person somehow provokes it.
    [/quote]

Of course people have a right to dislike anyone they choose. That doesn't mean you have to harass people you dislike.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    People like that (who pick on more intelligent people or anyone really) are jealous people who obvioulsy have nothing more constructive to do with their time. When they don't have a job you'll be the one laughing! Use your intelligence and ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Right. Well, I'm not from the ghetto, but I'm not from a posh area either. I lived in a middle-class neighborhood where most kids went to university, although not particularly good ones.

All I can say is the bullied kids give off "I'm so smart and that's it" vibes. Remember, there's a difference between being a nerd and being a dork or geek.
    Okay well the area I come from very few people actually went to University. I lived in a working class neighbourhood.

The bullied kids were smart. Or wildly different. Occaisionally both. I'm not going to judge my own arrogance as to whether I thought I was so smart or not, as that's impossible. My closest friend through school was very intelligent. Very quiet, rarely drew attention to herself deliberately. Did nothing to antagonise anyone. If you ever talked to her, she is the sweetest person you could hope to meet. And guess what, was picked on through school. And now has so little self-confidence she dropped out of Uni after 10 days because she didn't think she could ever make friends.

This is why I say you can't generalise. Sometimes people are bullied for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    Let's just say at Yale, well, in all American universities, the jocks are morons. They only came here to play, not think. I'd be complaining about them if it weren't for the money they bring into the university.

So they're pussies then?
    I don't know, and I don't really care. To be honest, I doubt there are that many people an individual can wholeheartedly like in this world. I'd say one, or maybe two in a lifetime.

Of course people have a right to dislike anyone they choose. That doesn't mean you have to harass people you dislike.
    This is what I don't get. I've hung out with quite a few "lower class" friends, and they actually respect me for furthering my life; they don't despise me for it to say the least, besides of course saying my life has been easy. And yes, relatively speaking, it has. (Then again, I don't really talk about school outside of school. ) Heck, I probably verbally abuse them for being dumbasses, but I can't say that they abuse me, and if they were to, I'd smack them in the face like a good friend does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Okay well the area I come from very few people actually went to University. I lived in a working class neighbourhood.

The bullied kids were smart. Or wildly different. Occaisionally both. I'm not going to judge my own arrogance as to whether I thought I was so smart or not, as that's impossible. My closest friend through school was very intelligent. Very quiet, rarely drew attention to herself deliberately. Did nothing to antagonise anyone. If you ever talked to her, she is the sweetest person you could hope to meet. And guess what, was picked on through school. And now has so little self-confidence she dropped out of Uni after 10 days because she didn't think she could ever make friends.

This is why I say you can't generalise. Sometimes people are bullied for no reason.

Alright, did she *look* smart? Hence, did she look like a dork or a geek? Like I said previously, there's a difference between being a nerd and being a dork/geek. This may sound crazy, but perhaps if someone who has been bullied changes his/her look, yet is still the same person inside, then he/she will be left alone.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem a lot at school. "Swot" was the insult of choice. Seems pathetic now but when you're 12/13 it's a real insult, and really upsetting. Now I just piss myself laughing when I go home from uni and see a lot of the people who used to insult me - one works at Halfords, one is always stoned and a complete waster, most of the girls are pregnant and/or working in the Co-op. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, did she *look* smart? Hence, did she look like a dork or a geek? Like I said previously, there's a difference between being a nerd and being a dork/geek. This may sound crazy, but perhaps if someone who has been bullied changes his/her look, yet is still the same person inside, then he/she will be left alone.
    She wore glasses and dressed in correct school uniform because she wasn't a slut.

I say again, you can't generalise. It's different depending on circumstances, area and so on. You are generalising on your experiences of not being bullied.
    Suggestions of changing who you are so people don't attack you for it are just stupid in my opinion, by the way. I am a self proclaimed, happily geeky, dorky, nerdy person who nevertheless does not deserve to be bullied because I don't fit into social norms. I could, if I wanted, dress in a more fashionable way, speak less eloquently and be less interested in computer games and Star Trek. But anyone who does that to fit in is a sad, sad specimen.

ReputationRep:

I may have misunderstood your post but are you saying all those who get bullied give off that same vibe?

If so that is complete ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    She wore glasses and dressed in correct school uniform because she wasn't a slut.

So people who don't wear glasses are sluts? I fail to understand this logic.
    And how can they tell if someone is a dork if you have mandatory uniforms? Perplexing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    I may have misunderstood your post but are you saying all those who get bullied give off that same vibe?

If so that is complete ****.
    I wouldn't be so careless as to say all, but many, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. And i'd also like to point out my distaste in lumping bullied people into two categories. Surely people can be bullied or intelligent and bullied WITHOUT being a nerd or a geek?

ReputationRep:
    So people who don't wear glasses are sluts? I fail to understand this logic.
    The logic was, the amended school uniform made the girls look like sluts.

And how can they tell if someone is a dork if you have mandatory uniforms? Perplexing
    Good question. How about you field this one, as I haven't a clue?

ReputationRep:
    Gotta disagree with you there. See lots of people get bullied who aren't very intelligence, just as much as those who are smart. Also, some others get bullied for appearance, even if their intelligence is average.

A lot of factors amount to whether or not you get bullied.
    Who are you disagreeing with...cos I agree with everything you say here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm replying to Inclination, so many posted before me though lol.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta disagree with you there. See lots of people get bullied who aren't very intelligence, just as much as those who are smart. Also, some others get bullied for appearance, even if their intelligence is average.

A lot of factors amount to whether or not you get bullied.
    Yet they all similarly give off a "beat me" vibe? Why is it that they are the chosen ones when others can get away despite possessing the same characteristics?

ReputationRep:
    Yet they all similarly give off a "beat me" vibe? Why is it that they are the chosen ones when others can get away despite possessing the same characteristics?
    Or maybe they give off a 'nice guy' vibe that the bullies can't handle since they hold a deep hatred for themselves and deal with it by 'bullying'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.