Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    True. Duke's strengths lie in undergrad eduction and its professional schools (medical, law, business, and divinity). However, many of its grad programs, while not uniformly excellent like Berkeley's or Harvard's, are nonethless solid programs. According to the National Research Council, part of the National Science Foundation, Duke's best grad programs include

Anthropology- #19
    Biology- #3
    Biomedical Engineering- #4
    Classics- #15
    Comp. Lit- #2
    Economics- #22
    English- #6
    Environmental Science- see US News
    French- #3
    History- #15
    Medieval Studies- Not sure
    Music- #22
    Oceanography- #14
    Political Science- #14
    Public Policy- see US News
    Religion- #4
    Sociology- #20
    Spanish- #2

ReputationRep:
    One more thing: are you an ethnic minority? I am black and I felt very uncomfortable when I visited Duke. Other minority students told me they had experienced racism on campus. There is also now a big news story about a sexual assault with possible racial overtones with Duke's lacrosse team:

"...accusations that team members attacked an exotic dancer hired to perform at an off-campus party. The alleged victim, a black student at nearby North Carolina Central University, has told police that she was pulled into a bathroom, beaten, choked and raped by three white men at a March 13 party, where she and another dancer were hired to perform."

ReputationRep:
    Yes those Duke undergraduates are supposedly rather barbaric. As is most of the South I hear.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everyone knows Britain is full of drunkards, and Duke students rape anything that moves. Ah, the beauty of stereotypes!

ReputationRep:
    Not all Duke students...just the lacrosse players (hah)
    But no, I have never seen a more segregated and racially tense university. Granted, it's a great university, but it's not a great experience for those of us blessed with a darker skin pigment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warblersrule)
    Yes, everyone knows Britain is full of drunkards, and Duke students rape anything that moves.
    So true, so true.

ReputationRep:
    Averyone who 've spoken too about duke has said there is a very real division between 'the town and the gown' and i guess this is backed up by the stats on different racial admissions. I guess it's got a bit to do with Duke being located in an area of pretty serious segregation 40 years ago.
    I see we have a duke student of this thread, what is like? Has the whole lax 'incident' caused a bit of a stir on campus??

ReputationRep:
    You bet it has. Last week was Sexual Assault Prevention Week (it's been planned for a year), so the event really started things rolling. Last Monday I was at a rally outside the administrative building where students spoke out about the event. A few nights later was "Take It Back" night, where about 500 people marched from East Campus to Duke Chapel and then held a brief vigil. There've been numerous protests outside the lacrosse players' house (right off East Campus) and the provost's house. Friday night Duke students were attacked at a drive-through restaurant by people claiming it was "NC Central territory." Everyone's riled up about the events, and the media (staked out on campus) is having a great time. The lacrosse coach resigned today. It's a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warblersrule)
    You bet it has. Last week was Sexual Assault Prevention Week (it's been planned for a year), so the event really started things rolling. Last Monday I was at a rally outside the administrative building where students spoke out about the event. A few nights later was "Take It Back" night, where about 500 people marched from East Campus to Duke Chapel and then held a brief vigil. There've been numerous protests outside the lacrosse players' house (right off East Campus) and the provost's house. Friday night Duke students were attacked at a drive-through restaurant by people claiming it was "NC Central territory." Everyone's riled up about the events, and the media (staked out on campus) is having a great time. The lacrosse coach resigned today. It's a mess.
    Yeah, wasn't the stripper a student at NC Central (or State, can't remember)? I guess that's a lesson not to strip to pay your tuition...poor girl

ReputationRep:
    It's a really good school, highly selective. It has a pretty good amount of diversity as far as students go.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so is Duke well known in the UK (besides the whole rape scandal)? Is it considered a prestigious univeristy like Harvard and Yale?

ReputationRep:
    to the layman its not known at all in the UK...however i presume your interest does not lie with the layman.

With regards to academic reputation, i would be very surprised if any major firm did not know about Duke, however i would never think it could claim that it was anywhere near the reputation of Harvard or Yale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadey)
    to the layman its not known at all in the UK...however i presume your interest does not lie with the layman.
    I disagree. While certainly not known to the extent of, say, Harvard or Berkeley, Duke has a surprisingly good reputation abroad. I frequently wore my Duke gear while studying abroad and received quite a few comments from people, particularly in London.

The better question is perhaps how Duke is perceived, rather than how well it is known.

(Original post by YankeeUK2008)
    besides the whole media/judicial system scandal
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    devil09,

i think Shadey is right. Duke is not as well-known as Harvard/Berkeley/Stanford/Yale/MIT. It does not have a "wow" factor just like those "super five US schools" have. But Duke is certainly prestigious for those who have heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Berkeley has a lot more foreign recognition than in the states?

ReputationRep:
    yeah. It seems like its on every international students list of prestigious schools yet I haven't really thought about it much.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Berkeley has a lot more foreign recognition than in the states?
    Berkeley is very well regarded across the United States. Its postgrad education and professionals schools are top-notched or amongst the best in the world. Its Chemistry, for example, is the best in the world.

About 60% of Berkeley's postgrad students come from outside of California and from some 144 countries across the globe. Many of them have turned down offers from HYPSM and other elite privates to attend Berkeley. It's how reputable a Berkeley postgrad education is. Its only downside is its undergrad education because it heavily favors in-state students. Despite that, OOS and IS students at Berkeley are extremely talented students. Most of them do have stats to get into any Ivy League school + Stanford, MIT, Duke and the like.

ReputationRep:
    when you say that berkeley favours in state students do you mean in terms of admissions or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadey)
    when you say that berkeley favours in state students do you mean in terms of admissions or something else?
    Admissions--because it is a state school [i.e. school funded majorly by the state of California], it has to accept a certain number of students FROM California (IS, i.e. in-state, students).

I think Berkeley's recognition [or lack thereof] stems from its USNews ranking (17-18 or so?). Duke, on the other hand, is 8 or so this year. Since USNews is widely propogated, I would think that it has a priori impact on conception, aside from any discussion of the school's educational/career merits.

ReputationRep:
    Shadey,

j.caesar explained it very well.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.