duke university Watch

YankeeUK2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do people abroad really keep up with US News Rankings?
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not really...
YankeeUK2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's a good thing. I've noticed that most people overseas don't really care about where you went to school. I could be wrong about Asia though. I hear its pretty big there.
devil09
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Berkeley's recognition [or lack thereof] stems from its USNews ranking (17-18 or so?). Duke, on the other hand, is 8 or so this year. Since USNews is widely propogated, I would think that it has a priori impact on conception, aside from any discussion of the school's educational/career merits.
As a slight correction, Berkeley stands at 21 this year. The last time it (barely) broke the top 20 was in 1994.

It seems like its on every international students list of prestigious schools yet I haven't really thought about it much.
because it is a state school
Therein lies the crux of the issue. Most OOS students don't consider Berkeley for undergrad because the cost would be all out of proportion to the quality of education received. Berkeley is more expensive than other top publics even for in-state students due to the high cost of living in California. Why would top students pay $$$ to go to Berkeley when they could spend about the same (or less!) at, say, Brown or Johns Hopkins?

Berkeley also has yet to live down its '60s reputation in parts of the country, believe it or not. Many people here in the South consider it a hippie school. :p:
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dude, you really need to chill out about the whole reputation thing.
devil09
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A relevant article in yesterday's Chronicle:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3387988.shtml

"Duke has been ahead in internationalization of the Ivy League schools since the mid-'90s, and we're still ahead in nearly every dimension you can imagine," [Vice Provost for International Affairs Gilbert Merkx] said.
Tajel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can imagine several in which Duke is not close to being ahead.

Still an excellent school, of course. There really isn't a downside to going there, except the cost.
j.caesar
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by devil09)
Berkeley also has yet to live down its '60s reputation in parts of the country, believe it or not. Many people here in the South consider it a hippie school. :p:
I've lived in Charlotte for the past four years, and I can't say I've heard that one before...nor have my friends. If you say so, though...:rolleyes:
devil09
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've lived in Charlotte for the past four years, and I can't say I've heard that one before...nor have my friends. If you say so, though...
I've lived in Charlotte for 21 years, and I have indeed heard that sentiment. Not that I have anything against Berkeley- it's one of my top choices for grad school.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.68%
No (560)
60.48%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.84%

Watched Threads