The Student Room Group

What would you call a 'bad driver'

Everyone makes silly mistakes when driving, we all know no one's perfect.

But what do you think it takes for someone to be deemed bad a driver?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When they cannot judge the width of their car and cannot stick to one lane or they cannot judge the speed of other drivers
Idiots who drive far too quickly in a residential area
Not having their lights on (which is more of a reflection on their own characteristics than their driving ability)
Driving at a snail's pace when there really is no need
Reply 2
Knowledge
The first pillar is knowledge. You have to know and understand the rules of the road and the situational circumstances in which to apply them.

Skill
Contrary to popular opinion, practice doesn’t make perfect. Only perfect practices makes perfect. For example, learning how to drive in the snow and mastering the ability to control a fishtail can only be accomplished by going to a snowy parking lot and fishtailing (not just doing “donuts”) around the parking lot until you begin to understand the feel our your car driving in such conditions. And even then, until one understands the nuances of various kinds of snow and how that impacts the car’s driving characteristics in the snow, they have not yet mastered the “skillset” incorporated in winter driving. That’s just one example. The bottom line is that if someone does not regularly practice skills like the “2/12″ rule, or how to consistantly drive in the center of their lane, they will not be “skillful.”

Alertness
Many people are way too distracted to be behind a wheel. Whether they are talking on their cell phone, disciplining their children, or just not paying attention to their driving in general, they are not paying attention to the top priority of the moment as they barrel down the road in a 1/2 ton piece of metal and plastic with wheels. When people are not paying attention, collisions will occur.

Awareness
Awareness is the ability to combine knowledge, skill and alertness and the ability to apply them to any given situation you will encounter while driving. For example, you may be perfectly alert, and yet still not have it occur to you (due to lack of awareness) that when a car is merging onto the hightway and you are in the far right lane, that the best thing to do to keep from creating a bottleneck in traffic, is to move over a lane so the car can merge unobstructed by you. I would say that only one in ten drivers is aware.

Courtesy
People tend to forget their manners when they get behind the wheel of a car. And yet, it is those common courtesies (which are no longer so common) that help to facilitate the smooth flow of traffic unencumbered by the idiots that zig and zag in and out of lanes, or the clueless jerks that drive slower than the flow of traffic in the left lanes. Little things like letting a car cut in front of you when you can see that there are quite a few cars behind you that might not let him/her in can make all of the difference in one’s driving experience. Please be courteous.

Bad drivers abound. But if you pay attention to these things I’ve talked about and work on putting it all together, then it’s unlikely that you will ever be lumped into that category.

http://baddriverblog.com/
No respect for others. Those who cut merging queues and drive selfishly.
Reply 4
when the traffic lights go green and no one is crossing the road, but they're still waiting..(for ???)
Reply 5
I would second "not having their lights on" - there really is no excuse, other than stupidity, for that. If the lights don't work, you shouldn't be driving when lights are required.

I can't stand people who drive right up close to the back of the car in front - not only is it dangerous, there's no reason to do it. I've been doing 90 in the fast lane and people still do it even when there is a long line of cars ahead of me. I usually slow down to 70 just to annoy them, as I assume they are doing it because they want me out of the way.
Reply 6
Original post by Aack
I would second "not having their lights on" - there really is no excuse, other than stupidity, for that. If the lights don't work, you shouldn't be driving when lights are required.

I can't stand people who drive right up close to the back of the car in front - not only is it dangerous, there's no reason to do it. I've been doing 90 in the fast lane and people still do it even when there is a long line of cars ahead of me. I usually slow down to 70 just to annoy them, as I assume they are doing it because they want me out of the way.

Completely agree. Not just this but the other day I was on a motorway, there were roadworks so it was 50mph limit so I was going a steady 50 (lots of speed cameras around) and I was in the lanes with the lorries going 50, and a lorry came right up behind me full beams flashing to try and get me to move as everyone was going that pace so he couldn't have overtook. Really irritated and almost blinded me!
Reply 7
inb4 the terrible female driver jokes!
Someone who can't pull a sub-minute lap at Tsukuba in Mspeed's R34
Reply 9
My mum...
Reply 10
Bad driver;
Someone who does 20+mph over the speed limit
Someone who does 20mph under the limit
Someone who pulls out from junctions without looking
etc etc
Reply 11
Definition of a bad driver... ME

Seriously... I suck!
Reply 12
Original post by Ami
Definition of a bad driver... ME

Seriously... I suck!

I was just about to post the same thing, obviously meaning me...
"Mum"
Someone who has no awareness of anyone else on the road around them. Or, someone who doesn't care about anyone else on the road: the "I'm doing this and that's that" type of driver. For example, changing lanes without indicating or checking blind spot and completely cutting you up or almost driving into you, or for example, on a dual carriageway or even a motorway, tailgating you, flashing at you and beeping at you while you're trying to make sure you've cleared enough room to change lanes, so that you won't cut up someone else in another lane. DEAR LORD.

Or, people who CANNOT use roundabouts correctly.

I know that people have their off moments or off days, but I have seen the same drivers so many times doing exactly the same thing, if not to me, to someone else. If someone has an off moment they generally raise their hand in apology or something like that.
Reply 16
A lack of having or using common sense usually results in bad driving

Is there a common sense test for driving?
Reply 17
Everyone makes mistakes while driving. Good drivers are those who learn from their mistakes to become better drivers in the future.
I've noticed among people I know that the ones who are always going on about how many bad drivers there are on the road, in a state of permanent semi road rage, "whats this **** doing, is he going to cut in front of me, ****ing tool" are invariably bad drivers themselves.

Most people encounter the odd bad driver on the road but make allowances for it...the ones who drive around thinking the roads are a conspiracy against them by putting all these bad drivers in their path, are putting themselves in that position by driving aggressively and taking liberties on the road so of course they get in 'near miss' situations all the time.
Reply 19
Original post by snufkin_
Completely agree. Not just this but the other day I was on a motorway, there were roadworks so it was 50mph limit so I was going a steady 50 (lots of speed cameras around) and I was in the lanes with the lorries going 50, and a lorry came right up behind me full beams flashing to try and get me to move as everyone was going that pace so he couldn't have overtook. Really irritated and almost blinded me!

That reminds me - lorry drivers! A completely different kettle of eastern European fish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending