The Student Room Group

Anyone else have 0 faith in the exam system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My business teacher actually marks Buss4 papers and even she said you need about 20% knowledge and the rest is just learning how to write the essay how they want you to :mad: She even said that you can even take an educated guess at any statistics used as they're not even checked.
The standard written exams are an obviously flawed system of assessment, but they are very simple and very practical, which is why they are used.

The movement to try to get assessment away from exams has lead to coursework... which is arguably even worse.
My experience is that only people who get bad grades have no faith in the exam system :erm:

Do your work and you'll get the grades. I don't see the problem.

Oops...controversial.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
I see a lot of complaining here, but no solutions. Yes, the system is flawed, but at least offer a viable solution as an alternative if you're going to complain about the injustice.
Reply 24
ok here's my take on it all

at gcse our english lit grades were very low across the year so the school ordered a whole remark, we then found out that our papers were marked by university students looking for a little extra money. one of my friends grade went up from a C to an A*. i agree, i do think its disgusting sometimes: our futures are at stake. from someone who does sciences at a level i guess i just have to accept the mark and move on as the answers are not subjective. theyre either right or wrong.

i do believe the exam board extort us. i do believe we should pay for a remark and it shouldnt be free as if tht were the case everyone would get a remark. but the price is simply wrong. even for a fast photocopy the price can be £17. may i ask what that £17 is going towards ? someone to click "send". i may aswell quit education, the real money is in exam boards.
Reply 25
Original post by Miracle Day
Yes. People that do Sciences are lucky in the respect that they're answers are black and white, whereas we face the brunt of subjective markers.

It's kind of the other end though, to the point where often if you get the exact word for word answer (with many being purposdley misleading as often topics crossover, or random/obscure) you don't get the mark.

However, I also do two humaities and the same sort of thing happened in history. Got an E on one paper in June, did exaclty the same if less revision, wrote exaclty the same kind of essay and got an A in my resit. Even the teacher was bemused.
Reply 26
I completely agree. For AS Literature last summer I did zero revision and came out with an A, yet I revised my arse off to the point where I could recite the syllabus by heart for Biology and I came out with a C and a D for Unit 1 and 2. Similarly for Unit 4, came out with a D yet hardly revised for Psychology and got an A.

Exams are a complete piss-take. They don't give you the opportunity to actually show your knowledge and instead it's just your ability to say what exactly what the mark scheme says, even if the answer you give is technically correct.
Reply 27
I agree with everything you've said here. I mean the exam boards are a joke! £52.00 for a Chemistry remark? WHAT? oh and our AQA textbook for AS Spanish contains so many typos it's ridiculous...i'm talking like 2 big typos in one tense..that is bad...

Edit: OK to whoever negged me, could you please explain how it is reasonable to charge £52 for a remark, and also how it is acceptable to make extreme errors in a subject like Spanish where grammar is essential?
(edited 12 years ago)
It goes both ways. In my experience, people that do sciences can't really get away with not learning the content, while people that do humanities (particularly English) can bs their way through A level and get a solid mark. A few of my friends did no substantial revision for their AS English Lit exam and came out with a solid A. Try doing that for a subject like Biology and you might as well already arrange a resit...

I think English is pretty unique is this regard though. It's a lot more about analysis which I suppose could naturally come to someone and be well-done without much revision.

However, bearing in mind I'm on OCR and my experiences are limited to this exam board, history in particular requires a mass amount of memorisation and technique. Even source-based papers require a solid level of subject knowledge. I would even argue that history has a subject knowledge requirement akin to that of biology, especially when considering the added need of eloquence in relaying this subject matter.

I think it's a giant stretch to say people that do humanities can just bs an A-level.
Reply 29
Original post by Apa
I completely agree. For AS Literature last summer I did zero revision and came out with an A, yet I revised my arse off to the point where I could recite the syllabus by heart for Biology and I came out with a C and a D for Unit 1 and 2. Similarly for Unit 4, came out with a D yet hardly revised for Psychology and got an A.

Exams are a complete piss-take. They don't give you the opportunity to actually show your knowledge and instead it's just your ability to say what exactly what the mark scheme says, even if the answer you give is technically correct.

Exactly this. Last year the one poem that came up on the exam was the one I hadn't revised at all, and I didn't do much outside of lessons for the other texts and got pretty much full marks, and the same with one topic of history I didn't revise at all, didn't know what the event was about and again got pretty much full marks (I did revise, but the ones I concentrated in I did worse in)

Sometimes it feels like it doesn't actually matter if you have any understaning of the topic (which is what education should be about) as long as you can write an essay to the exam board specifcation, and recite a mark scheme answer.

Eta: ^Agreeing with history. For me it and even only counting one topic, the amount of knowledge I learned for it outweighed what I had to learn for biology, and then you have to add in producing a couple of good essay's in an hour and a half.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xotol
It goes both ways. In my experience, people that do sciences can't really get away with not learning the content, while people that do humanities (particularly English) can bs their way through A level and get a solid mark. A few of my friends did no substantial revision for their AS English Lit exam and came out with a solid A. Try doing that for a subject like Biology and you might as well already arrange a resit...

Typical of you to use English Lit as an example :tongue: It's probably the only subject your point is valid for.
Original post by Americaniamh
I think English is pretty unique is this regard though. It's a lot more about analysis which I suppose could naturally come to someone and be well-done without much revision.

However, bearing in mind I'm on OCR and my experiences are limited to this exam board, history in particular requires a mass amount of memorisation and technique. Even source-based papers require a solid level of subject knowledge. I would even argue that history has a subject knowledge requirement akin to that of biology, especially when considering the added need of eloquence in relaying this subject matter.

I think it's a giant stretch to say people that do humanities can just bs an A-level.

It's took me hours today to condense notes on the Weimar Unit and Hitler's foreign policy. 2 units!
It's took me hours today to condense notes on the Weimar Unit and Hitler's foreign policy. 2 units!

Exactly! I completely feel you. I literally just spent hours this evening on a 33-page ppt. covering 1/9 of one of my two AS-modules. History does not seem to get the respect it deserves...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Tbh though, you've CHOSEN to come to school (Assuming we're all A-level students), no one is forcing you, I agree that exam technique is way too significant, I think I could start a course, do no content from text books, but just get 5 past papers and mark schemes and I'd be able to get a grade.
Original post by Doskey
My business teacher actually marks Buss4 papers and even she said you need about 20% knowledge and the rest is just learning how to write the essay how they want you to :mad: She even said that you can even take an educated guess at any statistics used as they're not even checked.

OMFG I asked my Sociology teacher if I could do this and she said no. I'm so doimg it because idc if I fail it.
Reply 35
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
My experience is that only people who get bad grades have no faith in the exam system :erm:

Do your work and you'll get the grades. I don't see the problem.

The problem is that sometimes the difference between the original grade and the grade of the resit is so wide that it calls into question the system of how it's all marked. I know people who've gone from a C to an A* just by getting the paper marked again.

I've received good grades from the exam system and I have little faith in it. And looking around on this site here I see I'm not alone.
Typical of you to use English Lit as an example :tongue: It's probably the only subject your point is valid for.

I've had friends say the same about Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Business. These are all people who come out with As without really doing much (nor being particularly clever).
Original post by Americaniamh
Exactly! I completely feel you. I literally just spent hours this evening on a 33-page ppt. covering 1/8 of one of my two AS-modules. History does not seem to get the respect it deserves...

And Psychology! Most of my year are retaking, my high B was the highest in the year also.. It also has so much content that my History teacher was praising my mark in it!

My plan is..

Work my ass off for History & Psychology

BS English and Sociology
Original post by hassi94
I've had friends say the same about Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Business. These are all people who come out with As without really doing much (nor being particularly clever).

I can't comment on most of those but taking a sample of two schools, one got an A in Psychology and 70% are retaking,
They'll never change. They're happy writing crap exams with equally crap mark schemes, setting ridiculous grade boundaries and profiting off our failures due to resits and remarks! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest