The Student Room Group

Anyone else have 0 faith in the exam system?

Scroll to see replies

After the AS economics exam in January I've lost some faith in the exam system, especially on subjects where the answer is not black and white and its up to the examiners view of the answer.

Many people got A's on their Economics mocks and ended up with D's in the exam even though the paper was fairly standard, and some people who did not work in class got an A in it. Also apparently in the english department there were no A's at all which is very unusual.

The exam system is fine for subjects like maths and science, but for any humanities subjects or more essay based ones it is very flawed currently :frown:
Original post by Besakt
Did his grade go up?

It did, although it wouldn't have if he'd asked for the (cheaper) original script rather than the photocopy.

Original post by Genesis2703

The exam system is fine for subjects like maths and science, but for any humanities subjects or more essay based ones it is very flawed currently :frown:

What alternative system do you propose?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by hardleyouth
I despise exam boards, I despise the system of exams, the costs, the lack of information, the fact all the boards do is look to make profit (obviously) but the fact that creeps into negatively effecting so many peoples lives through education disgusts me. All the errors they make for example!!!

However, I have never believed exams require great knowledge, merely technique.

My personal example is AS Business, last year, I failed the second unit (received a U). I couldn't believe it, so I got a remark, and they made it a few marks into a E(Costing upwards of 40 quid...which I never received back!). So obviously, I applied to resit for the January exam period just gone, however because I decided to concentrate on my other subjects, I did ZERO business work all year, I dropped A2 Business right at the start, and I managed to get a high B?

How the hell is that possibly? When revising like a donkey and attending classes I get a U? And then doing no work and remember nothing I blad a high B? It makes absolutely no sense and further deepens my distrust of the exams system and especially AQA as they bear the brunt of my many negative experiences.

Anyone else feel like this or has experience this too!? :confused:

Why the hell do you think you're qualified to judge the system when you cant even PASS a monkey subject such as business as?
Well my friend got full marks in AS English literature without reading one of the books... To be fair, I stressed about how little I'd done the day before (i.e. hadn't started the poems), had insomnia all night and still managed an A. At A2 perhaps the opposite is true though, it's ridiculously hard. You have to remember all the quotes in a Victorian fashion and basically satisfy the mark scheme. It's hard to strike a balance but English is an odd one.

Moreover, how is it fair that I can spend a month revising maths solidly, then spend 2 days revising economics and end up with a higher score in economics? The whole system suffers from a woeful lack of consistency.
Reply 144
Original post by nexttime
It did, although it wouldn't have if he'd asked for the (cheaper) original script rather than the photocopy.

Hmm maybe I should request the paper for biol4...How much was it?
What alternative system do you propose?

Well a system so that for essay subjects the examiners all know what they are giving out marks for exactly, we were looking through old scripts last week and there were some very very similar economics essays which were marked around 5 marks apart even though they were quite alike :P
Original post by Besakt
Hmm maybe I should request the paper for biol4...How much was it?

I'm sure it will say on the exam board's website. There is a time limit for clerical checks btw (which was what this person had to submit for after he found the error). They will refund fees if there is indeed an error.

Original post by Genesis2703
Well a system so that for essay subjects the examiners all know what they are giving out marks for exactly, we were looking through old scripts last week and there were some very very similar economics essays which were marked around 5 marks apart even though they were quite alike :P

This kind of specific mark scheme is exactly what people on this thread are complaining about though - people that are very intelligent and understand everything but get no marks as they didn't use keywords, or didn't mention a specific example, and examiners feel constrained by the precise mark scheme and so can't use their discretion.

Not that you are 'wrong' - just trying to illustrate that getting the balance between objective precise mark schemes and allowing examiners to use their discretion is difficult!
(edited 12 years ago)
It seems like the second post of this thread is quite controversial :tongue:
I went from a low B, (wanting an A or high B) while I wasn't working, granted I was attending class but did no revision.

And then working flat out for months revising and getting a U.

This was in History FYI.

It makes so sense, completely ridiculous...
(edited 12 years ago)
This kind of specific mark scheme is exactly what people on this thread are complaining about though - people that are very intelligent and understand everything but get no marks as they didn't use keywords, or didn't mention a specific example, and examiners feel constrained by the precise mark scheme and so can't use their discretion.

Not that you are 'wrong' - just trying to illustrate that getting the balance between objective precise mark schemes and allowing examiners to use their discretion is difficult!

Not as precise as keywords or no marks but more along the lines of general ideas. Some examiners seem to think the key words are needed and some don't. What different examiners thought counted as marks varied greatly and it was just very strange and seemed unorganised.

Of course it is very hard to strike a balance, but some examiners are blatently overly harsh and visa-versa.
Reply 150
everyone is making totally valid points.
the exam system is extremely flawed yet there is simply no suitable alternative to it.
:frown:
I agree with a lot of the posts here. I think that one nationalised exam board, not working for profit, would solve a lot of problems for a start. After last year, I have no faith in the way that marks are given out, it's ridiculous.
There is a lot of anger directed at markers here and while I think that exams can be deeply unfair, it's not entirely fair to pin all of the blame onto the people that mark exam scripts. One of my family members marked exam scripts last year and even though it was for maths (where you would expect marking to be super easy, since it's not essay-based!), markers don't get very much support at all. It's usually just the marker (who may have never done this before) and a very, very vague (and sometimes even incorrect mark scheme). Within about 2 weeks of marking, the mark scheme had changed about 4 times because there were so many errors in it.

And sometimes it's not even the people marking it, sometimes the mark scheme is just stupid. For instance, the exam question required you to measure a line and state how long it was in cm/mm. For 2 marks, the correct answer was 8cm or 8mm. You got 1 mark if you were within 0.5mm of this figure on either side i.e. within 7.5-8.5cm. The dumb thing was that you got NO marks whatsoever if you just put 8. That's really dumb in my opinion, penalising someone that much for forgetting to put units, even though they measured whatever it was correctly.
I think this calls for another student protest

Anyone doing AQA A2 physics notice that there was 5 marks between grades and they completely missed out the momentum section? In theory, you would have only had to go to half of your lessons all year to get an A. Same with Pure Core 3. Something is deeply wrong here.
Reply 154
I've always despised exams. Especially essay style exams, I got a D in biology at A level which does not reflect my extensive knowledge of biology at all. Probably one of the reasons I'm doing maths now, the answer is either right or wrong.
Coursework as well as exams.

My coursework was marked at an A by two of my teachers and was sent to the exam board to be moderated, it came back as a C. So the school sent it off to be remarked and returned as a C. I later added improvements to the coursework following the spec exactly word for word and sent it off.. It came back as a D.

It is extremely subjective to say the least.
Maybe exam boards need to update their spec so we are being taught exactly what they want us to know.
Also not sure if anyone takes this, wouldn't blame you if you don't, but erm...WJEC ICT anyone? You basically learn the mark schemes word for word, if it's not exactly the same you lose the mark. Not only this but the textbook is hilarious, it's so out of date we don't even use it on the course. We learn from the mark schemes as they differ so much from what the textbook actually teaches you...
First ICT exam I took, revised from the textbook only - got an E. The retake of the exam, I didn't look at the textbook at all - infact I don't even know if I have it anymore, thoroughly revised the mark schemes, got an A*. It's stupid if the revision material they provide you is different to what they want you to know and answer in an exam.

Thank god my college has stopped teaching the course, my year is the last doing it. I'd hate for anyone else to suffer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
I hate it how to get decent grades and get a job/uni place we have to be taught how to pass exams rather than interesting parts of the subject.

It was mentioned somewhere on this site a few weeks ago that unis were planning on changing it in the future so you only applied after you'd got your final grade. Which does seem a lot fairer.

Yes, from 2016 I seem to remember? It is a lot fairer, it's just how most other countries do it. But not sounding mean or anything, as long as it is not happening this year and it does not affect me, I don't care. It's sad for me. :frown:
Reply 158
Original post by lubus
Why the hell do you think you're qualified to judge the system when you cant even PASS a monkey subject such as business as?

Why do you think your opinion of business matters? Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. It's not anyone's place to judge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xotol
It goes both ways. In my experience, people that do sciences can't really get away with not learning the content, while people that do humanities (particularly English) can bs their way through A level and get a solid mark. A few of my friends did no substantial revision for their AS English Lit exam and came out with a solid A. Try doing that for a subject like Biology and you might as well already arrange a resit...

I do history and science and agree with that. However, Biology answers do need to be wordy - and there is ever an essay to do in the final exam (on some exam boards). The only subject thats really 'black and white' is maths.

Quick Reply

Latest