Dropping out of MPhil/PhD or down scaling - advice needed.

    • Thread Starter

    I am now in year 2 of my Mphil/PhD. I am unsure I even want to pursue a MPhil.

    I have 1 question:

    Can I call in early and graduate with a MA or MRes?

    Or if I stick with the MPhil and fail, will I get awarded a MA?

    I am doing ok so far, just lost interest and scarred of viva.

    I think it is possible to exit with an MPhil but different unis do it differently so you should really talk to your supervisor/graduate studies officer about how to go about doing it.

    If you fail the MPhil the first time I think you have a second shot at it. If you fail the second time I don't think you get anything for it. Again, each uni has specific rules and regulations for this.

    Losing interest is a reasonable reason for giving up on your PhD but being scared of the viva is something that can be dealt with if you want to continue. PM if you want to talk some more.
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for the reply.

    The MPhil viva is new to me. I would need much practice.

    My question is if I drop out, what is the alternative?

    Your university and supervisor will be able to help you prepare for the MPhil viva.

    If you drop out you drop out. There is no alternative. You can ask yours or other unis if you can transfer credits and do an MA/MSc/MRes (though an MRes will also probably have a viva at the end of it).
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 13, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Tea vs coffee

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.