LSE vs UCL (for maths and economics..) Watch

kdv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've applied to both for maths and economics, but which one is better? the obvious answer would probably be LSE, but i've heard from some people who are now in the business/finance world that UCL is as good if not better for some courses...

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience or opinions on this... thanks
valerious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just my opinion:
maths and econs is one of the best course of LSE. and LSE stands 4th on the world for recruiter review only after Havard, Stanford and MIT (oxbridge are 6th and 8th). Other British Unis in top 15 are: Britstol 10th, Man 12th and Edinburgh 14th.
i guess you see what i would choose?
ba_ba1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
UCL probably has a better a better maths dept than lse. That said, it doesnt really matter, since the reputation of LSE beats UCL. Also, UCL's course is actually maths WITH economics meaning there is minimal economics. I'd go with LSE.
jakezg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by valerious)
just my opinion:
maths and econs is one of the best course of LSE. and LSE stands 4th on the world for recruiter review only after Havard, Stanford and MIT (oxbridge are 6th and 8th). Other British Unis in top 15 are: Britstol 10th, Man 12th and Edinburgh 14th.
i guess you see what i would choose?
I agree with LSE being more employable than LSE but these are just statistics. You don't even know what type of jobs these are etc.
jakatak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the difference between reputation of courses isnt all that great although lse pips it... but just go to the university that suits you... both degrees will set you in good stead for whatever career you choose...
clueless101
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jakatak)
the difference between reputation of courses isnt all that great although lse pips it... but just go to the university that suits you... both degrees will set you in good stead for whatever career you choose...
I agree! There's more to a university than just the prestige. Compare the course/modules/options for both. Which would you prefer? After all, theres no point in spending 3 years of your life studying something in a institution you aren't completely happy with. What about other things like the university's facilities, library etc, careers service, atmosphere, type of people, Student Union? Or do these not matter to you at all?
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Courses and reputation aside, shouldn't LSE and UCL are about the same? Except the fact UCL has more students than LSE.
jakatak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LSE has a better library... lol
UCL has probably got a better campus.. though ive never been... since lse's is somewhat lacking...
UCL more students definininininitely a bonus.. better social life..
LSE a fair bit more prestigious...
both gr8..
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jakatak)
LSE has a better library... lol
UCL has probably got a better campus.. though ive never been... since lse's is somewhat lacking...
UCL more students definininininitely a bonus.. better social life..
LSE a fair bit more prestigious...
both gr8..
like i said in the other thread, even if UCL has 20000++ students, how sure are you that more students mean better social life? No comments on the campus though. Back to the thread, kdv, if you are intending to enter business or finance, it would be better to choose LSE, as we all know that this field is LSE traditional strength.
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Deathscythe HG)
like i said in the other thread, even if UCL has 20000++ students, how sure are you that more students mean better social life? No comments on the campus though. Back to the thread, kdv, if you are intending to enter business or finance, it would be better to choose LSE, as we all know that this field is LSE traditional strength.
more people= better chance that you will find friends that share the same interest as you etc. At LSE, a lot of the students are more reserved and they study very hard. Therefore it is less likely you will be going out, making friends etc.
pharmakos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Between Harvard and MIT, a multi-faculty uni and a specialized uni, which one you'd go? Although MIT beats Harvard in engineering/technology-related subjects, in Harvard you'd meet people of divers backgrounds (fine arts, medicine, literature, computer science, to name a few).
jakatak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'divers backgrounds'? lol... i know wat u mean...
ba_ba1 got it spot on...
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ba_ba1)
more people= better chance that you will find friends that share the same interest as you etc. At LSE, a lot of the students are more reserved and they study very hard. Therefore it is less likely you will be going out, making friends etc.
Hmmm...i guess we had different opinions then. However I agree with you on the better chances saying, though I find a campus with 20k student too large for my likings.
hongkongstudent
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say LSE, but that's just my opinion.

Reputation doesn't matter much if you don't plan to look abroad for career opportunities, if you do plan to look abroad though, then it does make a difference (especially if you're working outside the UK with minimial actual work experience, the more work experience you get, the less the education matters though) Seeing that you're in London, you probably intend to work in London anyways, so either one will do fine rep wise although LSE has the edge.

Facility wise, there's no comparison aside from the Library. I quite like the BLEPS, and during break, UCL students love to come to our library to study. (I think UCL students should be banned from our library during the pre-exam and exam period though...) Exclude the library though, and UCL facilities run circles around LSE.

More students doesn't equate to a better social life. The fact that you might meet more people of your type is nullified to an extent by the fact that you might never meet the people of your type frequently enough in a large student population. (some small colleges have excellent social life because everybody knows each other) That said, I think social life is better at UCL since the environment feels less competitive. (whereas in LSE the competition between students...especially during the application period for summer internships can irk people) But social life is what you make it to be, if you make the effort then you don't lose out. From a British perspective though, the fact that there are more international students might also detract from the social experience, but that's also because 'some' British students 'sometimes' don't make enough effort to get to know internationals. (same can be said of international students though)

All that aside though, and I say LSE all the way (assuming you feel indifferent about the differences in course material, because the LSE course is quite unlike the UCL course in lots of areas)
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hongkongstudent)

More students doesn't equate to a better social life. The fact that you might meet more people of your type is nullified to an extent by the fact that you might never meet the people of your type frequently enough in a large student population.
Disagree. The flow of information about events where a type concentrates and just the simple 'walking around and bumping into people factor' overrides that greatly.

Also, there are just more people doing things that are odd, that you haven't considered... opportunities that wouldn't be there if there wasn't that breadth of people.
hongkongstudent
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Disagree. The flow of information about events where a type concentrates and just the simple 'walking around and bumping into people factor' overrides that greatly.

Also, there are just more people doing things that are odd, that you haven't considered... opportunities that wouldn't be there if there wasn't that breadth of people.
LSE has more than enough 'odd' people I think :p: But fair point.

I also just remembered that the postgrads and undergrads are at a 50:50 ratio might turn off some undergrads...social life-wise. I personally enjoy the company of postgrads quite a bit (I always end up on their table in society events...bizzare really) although some undergrads think otherwise.
pharmakos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's nothing at LSE that can be compared to those artistically/literarily odd persons at the Slade School of Fine Arts, the Bartlett School of Architecture, and the departments of literatures at UCL.
elephantom
Report 12 years ago
What about LSE Accounting & Finance or UCL Economics???

Which is better in terms of employablility in investment banking?

I know there is some economics in acc&fin as well.
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say UCL economics, but thats ust my opinion. In all honesty, there probably wouldnt be any difference between them (in terms of employability) so just go with which one you prefer.
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hongkongstudent)
I'd say LSE, but that's just my opinion.

Reputation doesn't matter much if you don't plan to look abroad for career opportunities, if you do plan to look abroad though, then it does make a difference (especially if you're working outside the UK with minimial actual work experience, the more work experience you get, the less the education matters though) Seeing that you're in London, you probably intend to work in London anyways, so either one will do fine rep wise although LSE has the edge.

Facility wise, there's no comparison aside from the Library. I quite like the BLEPS, and during break, UCL students love to come to our library to study. (I think UCL students should be banned from our library during the pre-exam and exam period though...) Exclude the library though, and UCL facilities run circles around LSE.

More students doesn't equate to a better social life. The fact that you might meet more people of your type is nullified to an extent by the fact that you might never meet the people of your type frequently enough in a large student population. (some small colleges have excellent social life because everybody knows each other) That said, I think social life is better at UCL since the environment feels less competitive. (whereas in LSE the competition between students...especially during the application period for summer internships can irk people) But social life is what you make it to be, if you make the effort then you don't lose out. From a British perspective though, the fact that there are more international students might also detract from the social experience, but that's also because 'some' British students 'sometimes' don't make enough effort to get to know internationals. (same can be said of international students though)

All that aside though, and I say LSE all the way (assuming you feel indifferent about the differences in course material, because the LSE course is quite unlike the UCL course in lots of areas)
i totally agree...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads