Turn on thread page Beta

curly hair help needed...else ill be resigned to straighteners for life watch

ReputationRep:
    my hair is i spose what u would call naturally wavy/curly im not quite sure lol, the thing is when im on holiday and it dries naturally in the sun etc it goes lovely into spirals altho its a bit poofy and frizzy, but when im at home, ijust get the frizziness and it doesnt like smooth and shiyn or anythign, and i dont get the define curls, i dont really know what i should be doing or what products i should be using, atm the only hair products i use (apart from shampoo and conditioner) is protection spray for when i striaghten it.

im getting bored of striaghtenning it all the time tho, and if i dont i get a frizzy mess, any suggestions of what i shoulkd be doing?

also sometimes i dont want it curly but dont want ti dead straight if u knwo what i mean, just bouncy and blow dryed, but it always looks a bit "dry" if u knwo what i mean and not soft and shiny. i dont knwo maybe i just have difficult hair....

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like my hair is the same as yours
    i usually straighten it but if i let it dry naturally properly i get nice curls.
    you have to wash your hair and brush it in the shower...do not brush it again after you have got out of the shower- so make sure you parting is in the right place etc. you should stay indoors if possible to let it dry completely on its own...you should scrunch it with your hands and spary some 'pantene curl definining spray' or similar on to it....keep srunching it every so often until t's dry and hopefully you should hve the same effect you had on holiday.

I have the same problem, and I can't be bothered straightening it all the time anyway, so I just leave it to dry naturally, doesn't really bother me though, because i wear a head scarf:p: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think I have the same hair as you. I used to wear it up all the time because I got so fed up with all the frizziness! Anyway now I just wash it about every 3 days (otherwise it gets too dry) use abit of leave-in conditioner and let it dry naturally. As someone else said don't brush it when its dry but in the mornings when you want to 'refresh' the curls spray them with a mixture of water and leave in conditioner and scrunch away.

ReputationRep:
    My hair sounds v similar to yours. What I do is wash my hair and then put this product called curl cream by Trevor Sorbie (you can get it in boots) and then just leave it. I generally wash my hair at night and leave it to dry overnight and that gets the best results but if you dry your hair with a diffuser on a slow cool setting that is quite good too. Products like loreal professionnel tecni.art curl memory down cream and curl up spray have been recommended to me too but they are quite expensive! I like QandA frizz products by Charles Worthington too (in boots too), their serum and humidity block hairspray is good. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    i have naturally curly hair so i use Aussie hair frizz 3 minute conditioner - really really helps.... then scrunch in a bit of l'oreal curl mousse
    this helps to hold my curls without the frizz
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    What I do sounds really weird, but it works! I towel dry my hair, leave it in the towel get ready for school, and just before I go I put some of the Sunsilk Silky Straight serum in and brush it. I then scrunch it in the towel, and I get curls. The straightening serum gets rid of the frizz.

ReputationRep:
    Just get some hair gel or mousse............doesnt have to be the expensive stuff.....and apply to your hair when its wet............use a hair band till its dry and then put up into a nice ponytail (very 'In')........or if you want wavy hair.....seperate your hair into 3 sections (2 at the top and 1 at the back), wind hair into buns, let it dry and then let it loose, adding the hair mousse or gel first of course!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above post...run a handfull of mousse through your hair, and scrunch it into a messed up bun using a hairband. When it is dry, leave it open, or put it up in a pony tail. For that messed up look...

Or, if you dont have the time to let it naturally dry, tip your head over, and use a diffuser. Works wonders!

PM me if you want the process in detail.

x

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem, usually i just dry it with a hair dryer then i don't have as much curls but there is still volume in it. my curls just look frizzy, i also use a hair curler sometimes, but when i have time a let it dry by it self then the curls get better or put mousse in wet hair and let it dry.

however for some reason i can't put mousse in the hair and then use a hair dryer, then the curls disappear. my hair is so strange.

i'm going to try your advice misst, to see if i can get rid of all the frizz.

ReputationRep:
    Just after you've washed your hair, use tigi control freak serum(or any other good hair serum, but don't put too much on) then leave your hair to dry naturally(indoors). Then you MUST use frizz ease dream curls curl perfecter because it is amazing. I think I have exactly the same type of hair as you so this should work for you. It does for me anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i have the same problem, usually i just dry it with a hair dryer then i don't have as much curls but there is still volume in it. my curls just look frizzy, i also use a hair curler sometimes, but when i have time a let it dry by it self then the curls get better or put mousse in wet hair and let it dry.

however for some reason i can't put mousse in the hair and then use a hair dryer, then the curls disappear. my hair is so strange.

i'm going to try your advice misst, to see if i can get rid of all the frizz.
    It works wonders! If my camera would work I would take a pic and show you! I used slightly more than usual this morning and my hair is completely de-frizzed! :eek: thats the first time ever! (when Im not using straighteners that is! :p:)

ReputationRep:
    wel if anyone does have a working camera pics would be good see what all the different tips turn out like, im gonna try some this morning

ReputationRep:
    ok i tried brushing it in shower and letting it dry, then putting shockwaves curl deifne spray and scrunching but it was still a bit firzzy and not well defined

i think what i am wanting may be impossible i am starting to think, i juts wanted nice big defined curls, well try another method time lol

ReputationRep:
    you can get your hair permanently straightened at most hairdressers, its kinda like getting you hair permed but without the curls. this lasts until your hair grows out and looks amazing, not only is your hair straight and shiny but healthy because you dont have to do anything with it (even blow dry).
    if you dont want your hair straight the whole time then wash it with shampoo and conditioner, dont brush once you have got out of the shower though, put a towel over your hair to let it take out most of the moisture so your hairs damp, comb through a bit with your fingers to make it into a parting (it looks cool zig-zag) then spray some natural hold spray in it, you can buy it anywhere, and and bunch it in your hands (this doesnt give you ringlets but it stops the frizz and makes your hair wavy)
    when i straighten my hair i find it better to use a syrum than a spray as it gives better coverage. i use the one from the beyonce advert and believe it or not it is really good (you just have to put more on than in the instructions)it leaves your hair looking amazingly healthy and it feels really soft
    dont go to bed with your hair wet or wash your hair then go outside with it wet or it will be really frizzy. oh and make sure that your hair cut will allow your hair to be bouncy, you could also get your hairdresser to teach you how to blow dry it and which are the best brushes to use for your hair type.
    i think thats it

ReputationRep:
    this was my hair after my straightening thing, then scrunching. You can see the curls brilliantly well as it was taken on a camera phone - but they are there!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    lol, I think we should set up a society, I also suffer from the dreaded wavy/curly/middle of the road hair. :P

Well, if your hair's going frizzy - I take it you're blow-drying? - I would advise not using so much heat on it or getting a protection spray. I only have like you, a straightening one but i'm sure you should be able to find one for curling...

Overall, if you're getting the 'dry' effect just make sure you take special care to dry your hair carefully and protect it well before doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I dont blow dry my hair - I just let it fry naturally

EDIT:*dry not fry - honest!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.