The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UOM Open House Accommodation 2012 - photos and opinions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma**
Hi :smile:
I'm applying for accommodation next year and am definitely going for Fallowfield. Does anyone know if Ashburne Hall is single sex? It doesn't make it clear the website (which is useless) and I definitely do NOT want to go if there's a possibility of single sex flats.
Also, what do people think about Owens Park, Allen Hall and Woolton Hall?

Ashburne is all female. Allen Hall has mixed floors, Owens Park has single floors. I'm not sure about Woolton.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by ellakrystina
Ashburne is all female. Allen Hall has mixed floors, Owens Park has single floors. I'm not sure about Woolton.

Thanks :smile: The website claims that Allen Hall is single sex and Ashburne is mixed so I just wanted to clear it up. Also, the links to the photos you posted earlier were really helpful :smile:
Original post by emma**
Thanks :smile: The website claims that Allen Hall is single sex and Ashburne is mixed so I just wanted to clear it up. Also, the links to the photos you posted earlier were really helpful :smile:

Nah, Allen Hall was definitely mixed and Ashburne is all female (for undergrads at least) as I looked around both. If you want to clarify anything then you're best to contact the accommodation office: [email protected]

And thank you for the personal rating :smile:
Reply 23
Nah, Allen Hall was definitely mixed and Ashburne is all female (for undergrads at least) as I looked around both. If you want to clarify anything then you're best to contact the accommodation office: [email protected]

I'm going to thanks :smile:
And that's fine - literally every thread on Manchester accommodation you've posted helpful comments :smile:
Reply 24
How small are the standard rooms with no washbasin? I think I got a room for the second floor which is the top floor right? How small are those rooms? I am thinking of trying to get a bigger room, but it might not be worth it if the standard rooms are a decent size. Thanks for all the help :smile:
Original post by aerobti
How small are the standard rooms with no washbasin? I think I got a room for the second floor which is the top floor right? How small are those rooms? I am thinking of trying to get a bigger room, but it might not be worth it if the standard rooms are a decent size. Thanks for all the help :smile:

What halls are you on about? Washbasin and standard rooms are usually the same in size. you won't be able to get a bigger room unless there's something wrong with your accommodation.
Reply 26
when is everyone moving into their halls of residence?
Original post by aerobti
when is everyone moving into their halls of residence?

Have a look at this thread here :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2105308
Reply 28
I'm going to Bowden Court ( not my first option though) is it any good?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 29
i have a 41 week contract in oak house so what dates will i have to move out? will i have to move out over christmas and easter etc.. so for example term ends on the 14th december but want to get tickets for whp on that night so i need to know if i will have my room overnight until the 15th or not
thanks x
Original post by tara_patel
i have a 41 week contract in oak house so what dates will i have to move out? will i have to move out over christmas and easter etc.. so for example term ends on the 14th december but want to get tickets for whp on that night so i need to know if i will have my room overnight until the 15th or not
thanks x

You can still stay there over the holidays. You move out after 41 weeks from your starting week, you can reside in the flat at any point during that period.
Reply 31

Ashburne is no longer all female. There's about 20 males (undergraduates) there now.
Reply 32
All the rooms look really small and poorly furnished tbh. I never lived in halls, when I came to Manchester I started living privately straight away. And seeing those pictures has helped me feel more confident in my decision.

All those rooms seem to represent very poor value for money indeed.
Reply 33
Original post by rhys_please
You can still stay there over the holidays. You move out after 41 weeks from your starting week, you can reside in the flat at any point during that period.

thanks dude! so there must be 11 weeks of the year when i can't stay there, when are these? over the summer? i though it was only like 8 weeks long x
thanks x

You can definitely stay over there all Christmas and Easter. The contract starts on 13th September, and ends in mid-June (last year it was 21st June). You can extend it into the summer if you want to, although you may have to move flats to another part of Oak House.

thanks dude! so there must be 11 weeks of the year when i can't stay there, when are these? over the summer? i though it was only like 8 weeks long x

This summer was from 7th June to 16th September, so more like 3 months! You will, however, find that the contract for your second year house starts on 1st July, so you will have somewhere to stay over the summer in Manchester too, if you so wish.
Reply 35
Original post by Origami Bullets

This summer was from 7th June to 16th September, so more like 3 months! You will, however, find that the contract for your second year house starts on 1st July, so you will have somewhere to stay over the summer in Manchester too, if you so wish.

A second year house rented by a private landlord? Or some other arrangement?
Original post by dj1015
A second year house rented by a private landlord? Or some other arrangement?

Following halls in the first year (rented directly from the university), most people will rent a shared house with friends in the second year, which they will rent in the private sector (i.e. from a private landlord / estate agent).
Reply 37
anyone got photos of the rooms in ashburne hall? preferably one of the rooms upstairs. just checking to see how much stuff i can bring with me :smile: (and are the rooms roughly the same?) thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending