The Student Room Group

Mum won't fill in her section of student finance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sarah1345
Hmm, hopefully she livens up a bit. If I were to claim I was estranged, what would I need to prove? If I went to live with my gran, could my gran fill it in?

Technically yes. You would need to leave home. Go live with your nan. Your mother would no longer be eligible to claim you as a dependant. This would mean she must inform or your grandmother must inform child benefit and arrange to have it paid to her instead. The person who receives the child benefit is the person considered responsible for the child and if your mother still receives this after you have left estrangement would be difficult to claim. Any benefits your mother receives for you like tax credits will also have to stop and you should inform the tax office of the new situation. She would also have to give up any maintenance money she receives from your father.

This would need to be a proper estrangement... ie. you should receive no support, food, money etc from your mother and should be living seperately from her altogether... You must tell the school or college that your guardian is now not your parent. Go see the Citizen's Advice Service and they may have other things you can do to prove estrangement.

If your mother does receive child benefit and any other monies for you I suggest telling her that if she is not willing to fill in the forms you will be going for estrangement and her money will have to stop. This may sharpen her mind a little.

Out of interest if she receives income support then the financial declaration section is easier as you would just need to fill in the relevant section and all her financial details will automatically be sent to Student finance including details of tax credits etc. Maybe she is worried about this.

Otherwise it would be a case of just getting the 65%

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yothi5
The government is too kind to give away thousands of pounds in financial support is my point. I wasn't talking whether you're on benefits or not.

Oh so in your opinion those who can't financially support themselves shouldn't go to university? That would just create an elite society, and we all know what happened under Stalin when he tried to do that.
Original post by sarah1345
Hmm, hopefully she livens up a bit. If I were to claim I was estranged, what would I need to prove? If I went to live with my gran, could my gran fill it in?

It's made really difficult so that people don't just move out so they can get more money. I believe you have to prove that you've been financially independent of your parents for x no of years.
Original post by pixie<3
It's made really difficult so that people don't just move out so they can get more money. I believe you have to prove that you've been financially independent of your parents for x no of years.

Not if you're estranged from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending