Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im gonna do a cwk expt next week about yeast respiration using changing concentration of glucose and frcutose.

im wonderin using changing concentrations of glucose and fructose, does that keep the independant varilbe constant?

also what concentration of glucose and fructose should i use? and yeast concentration? because if i have too high concentration of glucose active tranpsort wont take place? does active transport occur or osmosis here? im confused over that.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You've got 2 variables there, the type of sugar and the concentration. Just pick one sugar and vary the concentration of it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Or do what i did and vary the types of sugar eg. do glucose, fructose and lactose - that quite interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    Or do what i did and vary the types of sugar eg. do glucose, fructose and lactose - that quite interesting...
    Yeah, but you need to be able to plot a graph of some results which you can write about in your analysis. By changing the concentrations you might get a straight line or curve which will give you some kind of relationship between conc. and fermentation rate or whatever you're investigating.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    is it a requirement in your syllabus to plot a graph??? we didn't have to...
    we analysed the reasons why some sugars led to faster rates of respiration than others.

ReputationRep:
    I can do this right, expt chnage glucose concentration, expt chnage fructose concentrations and then compare how they respire?

Also im confused how do yeast use the glucose? do glucose get trasnfered into the yeast by active transport? but if there were higher cocnetration of the sugar compared to yeast would the sugar go thru the cell membrane by diffusion?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you investigating? In fermentation, the yeast acts as an enzyme to catalyse the reaction. You could ferment the sugar without yeast just by leaving it in warm water I think, but this would take a long time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i think their talking about anaerobic respiration rates in yeast (that is basically fermentation)

ReputationRep:
    yea its anaerobic respiration so im wondering what the yeast does with the glucose and what would happen with higher concentration of yeast compared to glucose? im going to use 15% yeast and 1,2,3,4,5 percent concentrations of glucose and fructose
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its glycolysis - look it up on google...

ReputationRep:
    yea ok, but does glycolysis occur in anaerobic respiration?

and also, does glucose go into yeast cells by active transport by channel proteins? Im confused on these 2 bits. thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yes glycolysis always occurs whether in anaerobic or aerobic respiration.
    glucose is polar and so must move through protein channels through the membrane.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.