The Student Room Group

Do universities care about high UMS?

I got my AS Jan results back a few days ago and I got some low A grades (about 2-4 marks above the A boundaries) and I really think that I can get much higher in C1 and Chem Unit 1, though one problem is that resitting these and the couple of Bs I got will cost quite a lot and I'd rather not have to spend that much.

So anyway, my question is, do universities actually care if you get a high or low A? I know Cambridge does, but do Imperial, UCL, Durham etc. care about/know your UMS? I keep getting told by teachers and my friends things like 'Just resit, you will do better in the exams' and 'People almost ALWAYS get better in resits' but I would just rather stick with the low As and try do well in the summer exams rather than having resits to worrying about as well and doing bad in them all :colondollar:

What should I do?! :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Universities don't see your UMS (apart from Cambridge who ask), and so they won't see how high or low your A is....if you have a really high A your teach might mention it in your reference but it's uncommon.
Your teachers probably say that so in case you get a B in one of your modules later, your high ums means you still easily get the A :smile:
Well done on your As x
I'm in the same situation... I got 3 A's last Thursday and I'm just going to revise harder to get more solid A grades (if you know what i mean...) in the summer. Re-sitting is not really an option for me as its to expensive :frown: Besides, my teachers tell me that SOME Unis usually only look at a specific UMS grade. eg. if you want to do a maths, chemistry,english or medicine degree
You don't have to put your UMS down so as long as they see A's most Unis won't care.

Cambridge asks for your UMS and I believe that UCL sometimes does as well.

so as long as you don't plan on applying to either of those Unis it's fine.

You have A's now so you're on track for A's overal, don't bother resitting, just work harder next time.

Quick Reply

Latest