Turn on thread page Beta

which website translates into german,french ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yes as title of the thread says it, which website was it that translated letters and stuff into german,french and dutch ?

I think it was some while ago, when someone who had used that site or something mentioned it on this forum.
    I would be v. grateful if one of you guys told me which it was.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://world.altavista.com/

ReputationRep:
    Google has one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    http://world.altavista.com/
    it doesnt do dutch does it? cuz i can't find the dutch part?.........

2776, same question as, google doesnt do dutch does it? if it does, could you be so kind as to say who I should go about doing so

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarusgideon)
    yes as title of the thread says it, which website was it that translated letters and stuff into german,french and dutch ?

I think it was some while ago, when someone who had used that site or something mentioned it on this forum.
    I would be v. grateful if one of you guys told me which it was.

thanks
    www.freetranslations.com does all of those languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Google has one
    google- language tools. Although i wouldn't consider it as that great but it translates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    google- language tools. Although i wouldn't consider it as that great but it translates.
    It only seems to translate part way and then gets bored doesn't it. Well, it helped me with my cw anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    It only seems to translate part way and then gets bored doesn't it. Well, it helped me with my cw anyway
    lol. It helped me with my French and Spanish at GCSE level - 2 years back, and i have no idea if it's improved now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{_colloquial)
    www.freetranslations.com does all of those languages
    That is OK, but I used it once to do german, and it turned out that when translated back to english it was actually something really weird :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    this might help: http://dictionaries.travlang.com/EnglishDutch/
    and this is google http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    That is OK, but I used it once to do german, and it turned out that when translated back to english it was actually something really weird :rolleyes:
    yeh i used it to write letters to my german exchange and he couldnt stop laughing wen he read them cos the grammar was so bad! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    that's how it is with google. Quite frustrating, even more frustrating my mother speaks German and couldn't help with my French and Spanish, because she's not fluent in them lol

ReputationRep:
    be very careful with the internet translations because in teh main tehy are crap.They're ok for translating from a foreign language into englsih to get the gist of something but they don't pick up idiom or other language quirks and doesn't alwats get the verb forms right. Be especially careful if translating from english into a foreign language especially for coursework/homework because you will end up talking lots of crap. However, the best translation site seems to be altavista.

You'd be better with a decent dictionary

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.