The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah, quite a few ppl is my guess. sadly, not many ppl care. besides, that article makes depressing reading. i thought hydrogen WAS a viable option...bummer. i'm sure the scientists will come up with something soon enough tho.
Reply 2
joeeb
http://www.energybulletin.net/4856.html

How many United? Kingdomers know about the LONG EMERGENCY?

its not hard to see it coming. our lives, as we know them, depend on oil and everything it powers and creates. from powering vehicles and power plants to being used to create everything from keyboards to clothes, we're far too dependant on it especially considering its unreliable future.

why is oil skyrocketing? well frankly its because its finite and its running low. do i think i'll be driving a petrol powered car/vehicle when im 40 or 50? no, i dont. no idea what will replace it though
technik
its not hard to see it coming. our lives, as we know them, depend on oil and everything it powers and creates. from powering vehicles and power plants to being used to create everything from keyboards to clothes, we're far too dependant on it especially considering its unreliable future.

why is oil skyrocketing? well frankly its because its finite and its running low. do i think i'll be driving a petrol powered car/vehicle when im 40 or 50? no, i dont. no idea what will replace it though

I just applied for my driving licence this week...next week I start saving up to buy a horse and carriage....
Reply 4
People underestimate just how far we've come.

We have already peaked globally.

Why do you think America went to war in Iraq....WMD? Hahaha....We all know that they never did exist past 1991, which was when they were all destroyed (1993 at the very latest).

So, why did we goto war in Iraq?....

To secure a US presence in the Middle East. Why? For Oil.

But people just don't realise how serious this is. I doubt less than 1% of the population has actually sat down and thought the process through from start too finish.

If we (the western world) think that we can just continue like we are now, well, alot of people are in for a serious reality check.

If people think we (the western world) can just live in peace, and "ride it out", you'd be mistaken. Without oil, society will cease to exist in its current form. We will have to go back to farming for our food....think im crazy? Where do you think all the food you buy comes from (at tescos for example)? Where is the energy going to come from to produce, package and transport that food to Tescos?....its not.

People just don't get it. Without energy, society can not exist in its current form. As for Hydrogen power, thats a joke, because it takes energy to produce the hydrogen....and wheres that energy going to come from?...

Even fertilizers require petroleum to be made....

People call me crazy when i say 9/11 was an inside job, that we are being set-up by are own governments in a police state etc....

Yet, how many of you have considered that it mite just be connected to the oil situation?...

This is why i say there are no multiple conspiracies. There is only one, and its the one we are living in.

Denying it now will only make it more painful when the time comes....and believe me, its going to come very soon.
Reply 5
Yes, I for one am definitely calling you crazy.

Go buy a tinfoil hat, or come back when you have some sort of evidence, as opposed to some ideas you came up with while you were high.
Reply 6
He's going to take it harder than most!
Reply 7
robinm
Yes, I for one am definitely calling you crazy.

Go buy a tinfoil hat, or come back when you have some sort of evidence, as opposed to some ideas you came up with while you were high.

Would it interest you to know that 80% of skitzos smoke tobacco?...Thats TOBACCO, not Cannabis....hmmmm, i wonder why we don't hear that one more often. I've said this numerous times, smoking cannabis does not make you crazy.

And even when the evidence of the oil crisis is written in rolling stone, you still deny it?....It is all conneted to together.

But if you want to deny it, thats fine, because you will see that what i've been saying is the truth in the end. Anyway, im going off topic replying to you boob, back on topic;

What do people think about the fact that we are coming into this energy crisis NOW, yet there are no plans to deal with it?

My opinion; The governments are fully aware of this, but they have "other" plans :wink:
Reply 8
And, yet, all you ever hear about is how we are doomed. The world is coming to an end. Here's an idea. Quit making names and money of being the messenger and instead devote your time to actually trying to solve the problem.

The jackass who writes for the Rolling Stones more than likely has a larger than average house. I'll assume his household appliances are less than energy efficient, and he probably drives an SUV. And, while we're on the topic of hypocrites, I'd be interested to hear what kind of cars every drives. How often they shut down their computers. How many rooms their house has. How many days of the week they ride the bus. How many have plans to buy hybrids?

I say **** it. I say the sooner WW3 the better. The less people there are, the less consumers there are. Let's roll up the sleeves and see who comes out on top. We get China.

(Don't get heated, it's only a joke.)
Reply 9
stranksy2
Would it interest you to know that 80% of skitzos smoke tobacco?...Thats TOBACCO, not Cannabis....hmmmm, i wonder why we don't hear that one more often. I've said this numerous times, smoking cannabis does not make you crazy.

And even when the evidence of the oil crisis is written in rolling stone, you still deny it?....It is all conneted to together.

But if you want to deny it, thats fine, because you will see that what i've been saying is the truth in the end. Anyway, im going off topic replying to you boob, back on topic;

What do people think about the fact that we are coming into this energy crisis NOW, yet there are no plans to deal with it?

My opinion; The governments are fully aware of this, but they have "other" plans :wink:

And, FWIW, the Rolling Stone is a music media outlet you dolt. I wouldn't take that any more serious than I would if I read it in Sports Illustrated.

Just out of curiousity, why the new name?

And, please explain to me what "other plans" could be in THEIR best interests; let alone that of their constituents.
Reply 10
stranksy2

Hahaha, you're actually a stoner? That's awesome.

Show me some of the stone the crisis is written in, thanks.

As oil becomes more scarce, the price will rise, making other forms of energy more economical. Things might get more expensive as we make the switch, but the EMERGENCY tags are misplaced.
Reply 11
robinm
Hahaha, you're actually a stoner? That's awesome.

Show me some of the stone the crisis is written in, thanks.

As oil becomes more scarce, the price will rise, making other forms of energy more economical. Things might get more expensive as we make the switch, but the EMERGENCY tags are misplaced.

Yes i smoke Cannabis, get over it. Just because its illegal doesn't mean its wrong or as bad as its made out to be. Just because alcohol is legal, also does not mean its good or safe by any means, but just because its the "norm", its accepted.

Anyway...You say "make the switch"....Make the switch to what exactly? There is no source of energy as efficient as oil. Hydrogen for example....takes more energy to create than you get out of it. It is not a source of energy, merely a source of energy storage.

I think the emergancy tags are well placed. Have you actually thought it through properly? I don't think you have. Either that, or you underestimate just how reliant the world is on oil.

And again, its not just as simple as "making the switch". What about cars and other transport that runs on oil/petrol....you think you can just switch them to something else? Wheres the energy going to come from to change the engine so it runs on something else?....its not.

Again, i suggest you sit down and think just how reliant we are on oil....eithe that, or just wait and see what happens :wink:
Reply 12
stranksy2
Yes i smoke Cannabis, get over it. Just because its illegal doesn't mean its wrong or as bad as its made out to be. Just because alcohol is legal, also does not mean its good or safe by any means, but just because its the "norm", its accepted.

Anyway...You say "make the switch"....Make the switch to what exactly? There is no source of energy as efficient as oil. Hydrogen for example....takes more energy to create than you get out of it. It is not a source of energy, merely a source of energy storage.

I think the emergancy tags are well placed. Have you actually thought it through properly? I don't think you have. Either that, or you underestimate just how reliant the world is on oil.

And again, its not just as simple as "making the switch". What about cars and other transport that runs on oil/petrol....you think you can just switch them to something else? Wheres the energy going to come from to change the engine so it runs on something else?....its not.

Again, i suggest you sit down and think just how reliant we are on oil....eithe that, or just wait and see what happens :wink:

Electricity, baby.

Nuclear power, wind energy (expensive but workable), solar energy (all that desert on the equator) and other renewables.

It might be expensive and slow down growth for a while, but it won't be a catastrophe, by any means.

edit: and my suggestion that you came up with this while high was based on experience of people in that state spouting stupid crap and being convinced it is intellectual dynamite. I guess some stereotypes ring true!
Reply 13
stranksy2

Just out of curiousity, why the new name?

And, please explain to me what "other plans" could be in THEIR best interests; let alone that of their constituents.
Reply 14
stranksy2

I doubt that tobacco causes schizophrenia, but the attitude to drugs does. If you think that you can use them without getting a side effect, then you're more likely to go onto develop If you don't smoke tobacco, you're less likely to smoke cannabis, so you're less likely to develop schizophrenia. Cannabis does cause schizophrenia - I know someone who did. Don't be an idiot. Just denying it doesn't mean it doesn't.
I put that really badly, but read this from Freakonomics (not the best book in the world but the point's well made)

Just because two things are correlated does not mean that one causes the other. A correlation simply means that a relationship exists between two factors -- let's call them X and Y -- but it tells you nothing about the direction of that relationship. It's possible that X causes Y; it's also possible that Y causes X and it may be that X and Y are both being caused by some other factor, Z.
Reply 15
Although crude oil stocks are running out, I dont think there'll be an energy crisis. Nuclear energy is plentiful and would last us for thousands of years to come. The problem though is that as we burn up all our fossil fuels, we'll run out of vital raw materials for industry. Now that is scary.
Reply 16
Cougar
I doubt that tobacco causes schizophrenia, but the attitude to drugs does. If you think that you can use them without getting a side effect, then you're more likely to go onto develop If you don't smoke tobacco, you're less likely to smoke cannabis, so you're less likely to develop schizophrenia. Cannabis does cause schizophrenia - I know someone who did. Don't be an idiot. Just denying it doesn't mean it doesn't.
I put that really badly, but read this from Freakonomics (not the best book in the world but the point's well made)

Dont lecture me pal. I smoke it regulary, i would be foolish not to know the truth behind it. You need to set aside what you've been told and look at the evidence.

Cannabis DOES NOT cause schizophrenia. You only think it does because of what you've heard from the anti-drugs war thats being waged by America. I assure you, it does not cause schizophrenia, HOWEVER, it will accelerate a condition IF you already posses it beforehand (the same goes for most drugs that affect the mind).

Just because your friend developed it is not evidence that it causes schizophrenia. Im sure there were other factors involved which contributed to it, but i can say with complete confidence, it would not have been the sole result of smoking dope.

The whole idea that Cannabis makes you crazy comes from an incident in America involving a Mexican who "went crazy on the killer weed" and killed some people.

Again, Cannabis does not give you schizophrenia, and i don't appreciate you spreading misinformation about it. Im not attacking you, im just trying to educate you on it before you spread the wrong message to other people.

===============Back on Topic==============

@Abu: The problem with Nuclear energy is it is extremely expensive to run a nuclear plant. You also have the waste to deal with, which again, costs money to "dispose" of, whether that be illegally dumping it, or storing it underground etc.

If we switched to solely nuclear, the price of electricity would become VERY expensive.

Technically, yes, we could run on nuclear energy, but that still wouldn't solve the problem of the automotive industry, which relies on oil to power cars, and the huge variety of products which require oil to be produced, such as fertilizers for example.
Reply 17
stranksy2
People underestimate just how far we've come.

We have already peaked globally.

Why do you think America went to war in Iraq....WMD? Hahaha....We all know that they never did exist past 1991, which was when they were all destroyed (1993 at the very latest).

So, why did we goto war in Iraq?....

To secure a US presence in the Middle East. Why? For Oil.

Why not. We need the stuff.
Reply 18
Vienna
Why not. We need the stuff.

Well, if thats the attitude the West decides to adopt, then they have no reason to complain when they get attacked from other nations also fighting for the oil.

America isn't the only nation which requires oil, and i guarantee you there are others who will fight just as hard to get the remainder.

Again, if the West adopts the stance you stated, then they should also be prepared to accept that they could well have to face the nation of China in conflict.

Either way, there is the potential for great darkness in the coming years.
Reply 19
stranksy2
Well, if thats the attitude the West decides to adopt, then they have no reason to complain when they get attacked from other nations also fighting for the oil.

America isn't the only nation which requires oil, and i guarantee you there are others who will fight just as hard to get the remainder.

Again, if the West adopts the stance you stated, then they should also be prepared to accept that they could well have to face the nation of China in conflict.

I'm sure the West will bare this in mind when finding less controversial sources of energy. China has only just managed to develop the capability to attack Taiwan, so I think for the time being we can afford to install a few more pro-Western governments without fear of Chinese military action.