actor/observer effect - need some more evaluation points Watch

PsychNick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey I'm currently going through my Unit 4 section, filling in gaps where I think more information is required than that I received in class. One such gap is under actor/observer effect. I use an Eysenck and a Cardwell textbook but don't like the evaluation points they use as they are a little complicated. I was thinking about cross-cultural differences, which Cardwell mentions but doesn't say if there are any. So far I have:

- There is a great deal of support for the actor/observer effect, but the effect is not always consistent and can be reserved (evident with the self-serving bias). For instance, Chen et al (1988) found that actors attributed positive behaviours to dispositional factors, and negative ones to situational reasons.
- The effect does have important implications as it points out the negative consequences of the tendency to judge other people’s behaviour as something to do with their personality, particularly when negative actions are observed. Similarly, it is important for actor’s to appreciate that not all outcomes are situational, and take responsibility for some of their behaviours.

Does anyone know any extra evaluative points I could use? Thanks very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?