Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to have faith without religon. watch

ReputationRep:
    I hear alot of talk about how having a religion is advantageous for the simple fact that followers of a religion have faith. I dont consider myself to part of any religion or particularly religious per se but i consider myself a person who has faith. Do you think religion equates to faith and atheism, & agnosticism equates to faithlessness.

ReputationRep:
    That people play the lottery every weekend indicates yes.

ReputationRep:
    Science requires faith to an extent, but probably minute amount compared to religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    Science requires faith to an extent, but probably minute amount compared to religion.
    No it doesn't. Unless you mean "faith" that every scientist in a given field isn't trying to deliberately trying to mislead you - which is stretching a definition.

ReputationRep:
    No, that is not what I meant. The validity of science assumes that what we see are 'true' and 'real'; this is like using a mass balance: we assume that mass is directly proportional to the gravitation field strength, which is measured by experiments, whose results require scientists to believe their validity.

ReputationRep:
    No, that is not what I meant. The validity of science assumes that what we see are 'true' and 'real'; this is like using a mass balance: we assume that mass is directly proportional to the gravitation field strength, which is measured by experiments, whose results require scientists to believe their validity.
    Yeah, that's stretching a definition to the point where it becomes meaningless. In that case, everything requires faith (and means religion needs more faith). It's not something peculiar to science, as you're suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinm)
    Yeah, that's stretching a definition to the point where it becomes meaningless. In that case, everything requires faith (and means religion needs more faith). It's not something peculiar to science, as you're suggesting.
    This is exactly what I was saying. Ultimately it depends on your definition of faith, and how you use the word.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and you're using it in a way which is not relevant to this discussion.

ReputationRep:
    No I am answering the OP's question 'Do you think religion equates to faith and atheism, & agnosticism equates to faithlessness?'. Atheism and science do not equate to complete faithlessness. Both require a certain amount of faith.

ReputationRep:
    Not my question.

And as the OP specifically referred to religious faith, then clearly he was not referring to the empirical faith you are discussing.

ReputationRep:
    how is it advantageous to have religious faith?

ReputationRep:
    No I am answering the OP's question 'Do you think religion equates to faith and atheism, & agnosticism equates to faithlessness?'. Atheism and science do not equate to complete faithlessness. Both require a certain amount of faith.
    By your definition faith means everything anything and nothing. I agree youve made the question meaningless

ReputationRep:
    "Is it possible to have faith without religion?"

Absolutely.
    (In fact, it would probably be better that way...)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe its better that way.. We can have faith in anything we want, but not have to belong to any religion.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't faith pointless without religion? I mean, theres no incentive of going to heaven or anything.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't do anything unless you get a prize at the end?

ReputationRep:
    Faith is not just about god/other religious things, one can have faith in say friendship, or in just about anything else. It just happens to be used most frequently in conjunction with religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhdb13)
    Isn't faith pointless without religion? I mean, theres no incentive of going to heaven or anything.
    That is merely the connotation of faith and religion. Faith can be faith in mankind, the faith in people that they will do the right thing, just having faith in yourself.. all of these can exist without religion.

ReputationRep:
    faith in what?

ReputationRep:
    deffinately... i'd say i do... lol.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.